Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 22:32

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

In Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price, we learn that skulls and teeth are a reliable and accurate indicator of diet and health. That's how we know they were more healthy than we are.

Quote:
Those robust skeletons hide another ugly truth. Older individuals or those who have anything wrong with them quickly fall by the wayside when living a migrant paleolithic lifestyle. There is no way a hunting gathering band can carrying along people who can't walk many miles every day. Any severe illness or disability lasting for more than a few weeks will mean that the individual must be abandoned because the group must keep moving to find food. Game isn't stupid and it avoids hunters who stay in one place. Gatherers (i.e. women who supply most of the calories in contemporary hunting/gathering societies) must keep moving because edibles are scarce, seasonal and an area gets picked out pretty fast. So people don't develop the disease of age, like arthritis, because they don't live long enough to do so.

This entire paragraph is based on the assumption that as they (our ancestors) grew older, they also grew weaker, slower, sicker, feebler, and stupider. That assumption is unfounded because it is based on our current elder population, not on our ancestors'. Further, if cutting out carbohydrate returns us to good health, then never having eaten it never makes us sick to begin with. Thus, our ancestors, who ate little to no carbohydrate (which is confirmed by their perfect skulls and teeth), would not have grown weak or sick or stupid with age.
Quote:
The Inuit, so beloved of Paleo fantasists, lived a life of such extreme deprivation that it is hard to understand why anyone would make them the poster child of any diet. While most Native American peoples developed agriculture thousands of years before--the Inuit lived isolated in an environment where it is impossible to grow anything. They did what they could to survive but their numbers were small and their health and that of their children not anything you would envy--their real diet included the stomach contents of their prey--the semi digested vegetable matter now digested since the cellulose had been broken down--and entirely raw meat and fat. No Inuit survived to age 7 who was not metabolically able to cope with that diet. Natural selection works that way.

This paragraph is pure fiction. The Inuit don't eat the contents of the stomach of animals they kill for the simple reason that's it disgusting. Further, they didn't live a life of extreme deprivation. Or, I don't know what she means by deprivation. Maybe she means deprived of advanced technology? But they never needed it nor did they know about it thus would not have been deprived from their point of view. Stefansson speaks of the Inuit as a happy people. Deprived and happy are opposite. I believe Stefansson.
Quote:
But heart attacks have always been relatively rare in people younger than 55. and when they occur they are usually due to specific genetic conditions or side effects of other serious disease processes. Because until the second half of the 20th century a much smaller number of people lived into the decades where heart attacks occur, it should not surprise us that heart attacks were rare.

Insulin is directly atherogenic. Carbohydrate drives insulin. End of argument.
Quote:
Another reason why people did not live long enough to develop heart disease was that until the 1950s there were no effective treatments for high blood pressure so people who developed cardiovascular disease who nowadays might die of a heart attack were much more likely to die of stroke or kidney failure caused by high blood pressure first. When Franklin Roosevelt's blood pressure in 1944 was measured at 210/110 his doctors had no way of lowering it.

Uric acid drives blood pressure. Fructose drives uric acid. Sugar is half fructose. End of argument.
Quote:
The physical labor so adulated by today's gym culture did not lead to a longer life, it wore people out. There is a huge difference between spending an hour or two at the gym and putting in 12 hours six days a week at the steel mill, coal mine, or farm. Physical labor takes a very big toll on the body over time. Add the tuberculosis bacillus to the mix, a disease that preys on overworked crowded populations--or syphilis, one of the most frequent killers in the 19th century, though rarely one that appeared on death certificates, stir in a pinch of cholera, typhoid and other water-borne killers, and you have a very good explanation for the lack of heart disease deaths. Most people didn't live long enough to die of heart attacks.

Glucose is an immuno-suppressant. Sugar is half glucose. It's not the exercise that made them vulnerable, it's the sugar.
Quote:
But let's not fall into the trap of imagining that over all health was better in the past and that the reason for this was dietary. For most of human (and hominid) history, food was scare and hard to come by. Starvation was always a possibility. For anyone dwelling in the latitudes where winter brings snow, six months of the year were the "starving time" and agriculture was all that made it possible for large populations to colonize those areas successfully.

Starvation leaves distinct and unmistakable traces on the bones during growth. If our ancestors starved during that time in their lives, we will find those traces on their bones.
Quote:
Living long enough to develop the "diseases of civilization" was, in many ways, a triumph. You have only to look at the curve of population over the past twenty thousand years to see, in evolutionary terms, which diet and lifestyle made people the most successful in terms of reproductive success.

Developing the diseases of civilization has nothing to do with living long enough but everything to do with eating enough carbohydrate. It may look like there's a connection between how old we are and how sick we are but it's only because in order to eat enough carbohydrate, it takes a long time. But these days, even that is challenged in view of the growing number of young people with diabetes type 2 which used to be called adult-onset. Further, those disease are merely the symptoms of carbohydrate poisoning.

Last edited by M Levac : Thu, Sep-24-09 at 23:13.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 07:17

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Jenny obviously didn't study anthropology closely enough. Her "critique" is full of fallacies that are corrected in the modern literature.

I call bullshit

There is good evidence that paleolithic people did not suffer regular famines, did take care of the sick and the old (there are skeletons of people who had all sorts of congenital deformities and who made it to an impressive age), not all hunter-gatherers roam the way she seems to think they do, and hunter+gatherers practice birth control and spacing.

Oh, and game is stupid and doesn't flee the scene of the crime, as I found when I had a large garden and was regularly eating the animals that came and ate there. Year after year they would return and get eaten.

Her view of it seems to be science circa 1754. I hate it when people write in a sciency authoritative way when they don't have the evidence to back it up.

I don't want to disparage her totally though. She is completely right about the exercise. The idea that exercise leads to a longer life is sadly not true. I've seen many farmers, who get plenty of exercise daily, drop dead in their 50s.

As an academic researcher until a few months ago, I had access to all the peer reviewed research out there. It costs several thousand dollars to access that stuff (I miss it) and I highly doubt Jenny gets to read much of it because she is not an academic researcher and probably didn't study science in university either. She has some access to a few abstracts and decides to take down the paleo diet. But she messes up because she then uses evidence that people were unhealthy from eras when people were practicing agriculture. Working to death in a steel mill and typhoid were not hazards of the paleolithic era.

Anthropology has come to accept that paleolithic peoples were not the nicest people ever and that they frequently killed each other in various gruesome ways and sometimes even ate each other. The past wasn't idyllic, but people did not lose their feet from diabetes.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 10:25
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishercat
Her view of it seems to be science circa 1754.

This. She sounds like Thomas Jefferson, who based most of his theories of primitive people on backwards extrapolations from what was true then about the improvements in quality of life from the Dark Ages. He thought that if contemporaries were living into their late '50s, and the Medieval British were living until their middle '40s, then if we draw the line to its logical conclusion, the pre-Greeks must have lived until their middle '30s and so pre-agricultural people must have lived until they were 10. Needless to say, he didn't get very far with this theory, although the general theory that people just kept living longer and longer since time immemorial stuck around until the 20th Century.

Poor Thomas Jefferson, eh? Must be hard to be the generation of thinkers who realize that Adam and Eve was just a story and had to come up with something else. Thomas Jefferson never really made it out, and apparently died thinking that the native people of the Western Hemisphere were descendants of one of the lost tribes of Israel.

I read the blog replies just now, and--of course--her readers confuse Paleo with TheBear on this forum and the carnivores generally. For the record, TheBear is not Paleo and never claimed to be.

And I recognize some repliers as former members of this forum. One of them I missed having around here until I read her replies to the blog. Man.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 11:19

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

A bit of math: A 1% advantage will spread thoughout the human population in about 1000 years. We have been living with grains for several thousand years.

Agriculture undoubtedly allowed populations to grow greatly. None of us, as individuals, would be here without agriculture. The course of history would be so different that only actual hunter-gatherer cultures would be the same, and even they often have a lot of indirect influence from the rest of the world.

The continued life span increase, and even more importantly the continued good or pretty good good health into the ninth decade speaks for itself. Grains are not bad for most people - but they sure aint good for me.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 12:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
A bit of math: A 1% advantage will spread thoughout the human population in about 1000 years.

What makes you think this?
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 12:26

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
He thought that if contemporaries were living into their late '50s, and the Medieval British were living until their middle '40s, then if we draw the line to its logical conclusion, the pre-Greeks must have lived until their middle '30s and so pre-agricultural people must have lived until they were 10.

Thanks for the numbers. It sounds like the Medieval British did no better than the Paleos, then. But I still want to know why we're living longer now. I'm not sure I buy the standard arguments about hygiene, technology, modern conveniences, etc.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 12:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy the standard arguments about hygiene, technology, modern conveniences, etc.

What's wrong with that argument. I don't think much else could possibly make as much impact. Lots of things can go wrong with population densities rise.

Look, even having screens on our windows has helped. Infectious diseases spread by mosquito and other insects is almost a thing of the past. Having drinking water without pathogens in it is hugely important. That's a major problem still in some undeveloped countries. Look at how many people were killed in cholera outbreaks, like from that contaminated well-pump in London. And then there's parasites.

You could argue that these things wouldn't be problems to people with healthier immune systems, like we think Paleo people have. I don't have really know if even the healthiest immune system can withstand onslaughts from cholera, epidemics, food or water or insect borne pathogens.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 12:45

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Thanks for the numbers. It sounds like the Medieval British did no better than the Paleos, then. But I still want to know why we're living longer now. I'm not sure I buy the standard arguments about hygiene, technology, modern conveniences, etc.

One word. Antibiotics.

Patrick
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 12:52

So technological solutions like clean water, antibiotics, and living indoors can help us in crowded conditions. But what about people who are not overcrowded? Presumably they're not subject to massive epidemics of disease, but they still don't live as long as we do. Or do they?
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 13:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

Mike, I was describing a broken theory that held sway for far longer than it needed to. I was not giving you numbers that exist as physical data; I was giving you the line of thinking that predominated in the early days of scientific thought on the subject. Jefferson was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You could argue that these things wouldn't be problems to people with healthier immune systems, like we think Paleo people have. I don't have really know if even the healthiest immune system can withstand onslaughts from cholera, epidemics, food or water or insect borne pathogens.

It's not that Paleo people had stronger immune systems; it's that Paleo people did not live in conditions that made them sick. Without domestic animals and open sewers and polluted water, the risk drops considerably. Funny how we have to recreate the Paleolithic environment in order to not die of plague disease.

Quote:
So technological solutions like clean water, antibiotics, and living indoors can help us in crowded conditions. But what about people who are not overcrowded? Presumably they're not subject to massive epidemics of disease, but they still don't live as long as we do. Or do they?

There is no biological theory that explains why Homo would spend millions of years living only half of its possible life span. There is no animal example of anything remotely similar, and the idea violates much of what we know of evolution by natural selection.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 13:10

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Without antibiotics a lot of people who lived to become obese would die before they could reproduce themselves. Your metabolism controls your effectiveness against infections of all sorts. If your metabolism was less efficient (slower), you would die more easily.

It's not a bright picture, but our current common diet is also a big factor in breaking our metabolism and preventing proper expression of some genes. Thus making it worst for our children.

Patrick
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 13:18

Quote:
There is no biological theory that explains why Homo would spend millions of years living only half of its possible life span. There is no animal example of anything remotely similar, and the idea violates much of what we know of evolution by natural selection.

Are you saying that Paleos lived longer than we think, or that we don't know why they didn't live longer?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 13:51

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
There is no biological theory that explains why Homo would spend millions of years living only half of its possible life span. There is no animal example of anything remotely similar,

I'm not sure what you mean by animal examples. I mean from http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/animals/mammal/for example:
Quote:
Life span - Coyotes in captivity may live as long as 18 years, but in
wild populations few coyotes live more than 6 to 8 years.

Quote:
Life span - Most red foxes in the wild live 3 or 4 years
(but in captivity are known to live up to 10-12 years)

Or as it says at: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/400-499/nb486.htm
Quote:
Signs of senility, or extreme old age, are seldom seen in the wild.
Animals living under natural conditions rarely approach their maximum
possible age because of very high death rates due to infant mortality,
diseases, predators, bad weather, accidents, or competition for food and
shelter.

It seems the majority of animals in the wild are lucky to live half their possible life span. I've read elsewhere that feral cats rarely live beyond two or three, but house cats often live into their 20s.

As for humans living half their potential lifespans? I have no numbers on the issue. But if you are still fit and healthy when you become the dinner of a saber-toothed tiger when you are 40 you may have had a good quality of life (until those last few minutes!) but you've still lived only half your potential lifespan. I suspect those sorts of "opportunities" were more common for paleo man. Surely "infant mortality, diseases, predators, bad weather, accidents, or competition for food and shelter." would be major issues for them too?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 14:14

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

Quote:

But let's not fall into the trap of imagining that over all health was better in the past and that the reason for this was dietary. For most of human (and hominid) history, food was scare and hard to come by. Starvation was always a possibility. For anyone dwelling in the latitudes where winter brings snow, six months of the year were the "starving time" and agriculture was all that made it possible for large populations to colonize those areas successfully.

It seems to me that this is backwards.....or incomplete. Animal based food WOULD be available year round, while PLANT based food would NOT. So perhaps her argument should be agriculture AND food preservation. Unless she can tell me how the heck to grow a good crop under the snow, in which case, this gardener is very interested!!!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 14:20
Registered Member

BF:

Now we're talking!

I should have been more clear, and said that most of the plague disease that historically decimated human populations did not exist in the Paleolithic. The sources and vectors did not exist. So we must consider what actually might have existed to shorten any single life of a Paleolithic person.

Predation is a good place to start. A sabertooth was a predator to humans, but was not a predator to humans with spears.

Debbie, of the sources you listed (or any other), what ARE the specific causes of death of those animals in the wild?