Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My friend attended a party and a doctor there pointed out to her her goiter. She then pointed it out to her GP.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 13:00
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Lugols 7% Solution

Lugols 7% Solution

http://www.altcancer.com/lugols.htm

Odd place to find some, but I haven't looked in a pet store yet or where they sell aquariums/fish at Wal-Mart. It used to be available from gov in our CD fall-out shelter supplies to cure/prevent radiation iodine sickness
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 18:37

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

If you eat too much seaweed you can end up with hyperthyroidism. A friend of mine who is a raw vegan ended up with it and I started worrying about it so I try not to eat it every day, which is hard since pork belly + toasted seaweed is my favorite food in the entire freaking world.

I started eating it because I was diagnosed with hypotension thanks to the whole paleo-diet no-salt thing. I feel much much better eating it, but I guess you have to be careful not to overdose! I can't believe I love it so much because I used to think it was gross.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 18:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

ooh, that sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe for that?
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 19:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I suppose for people who have probably been hypothyroid for 20 years, a small dose of hyperthyroid seems like, if imperfect of course, still a slightly better alternative. Bring on the kelp tablets!
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 20:11

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

I've started taking my Iodoral this week and I'm already at the maximum of 4 pills per day. My temp in the morning has risen from 96.5 to 96.8 already. I am so glad to have found out about this.

Patrick
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 20:46

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
ooh, that sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe for that?

Ditto that! I've been getting these fabulous pork bellies from my farmer dude. I'm 43 and have only discovered pork belly in the past year or two. I've been making it Gordon Ramsay- ish... but toasted seaweed? Sounds awesome.

There is a gal here who works the food sample table at Costco who has a small but noticeable goiter. She also has gout (learned from the small talk), and some other problems.
I often wonder how "personal" one should get with people (especially when it's gotten to the point where you know their name and they know your name)... should I mention anything? Even bringing up the subject of iodine deficiency seems somehow snake-oil to me.

Another thing I notice is that we've been using several different brands of sea salt. Some have iodine, some don't; but there is no real listing of how much iodine there is.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 21:25
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

I wonder if our common food intake 'depletes' iodine (or its absorption) in the way that happens to vitamins (such as C). In which case a little iodine in occasional salt may not be nearly enough.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 02:22

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishercat
I started eating it because I was diagnosed with hypotension thanks to the whole paleo-diet no-salt thing. I feel much much better eating it, but I guess you have to be careful not to overdose! I can't believe I love it so much because I used to think it was gross.

I just want to clarify something here: you got LOW blood pressure because you weren't eating enough salt, right?

Or do you hold the "paleo diet" responsible, too?

You write above that you eat "Islander Paleoesque" - is that what you still eat or have you added in salt into your diet since discovering you had low blood pressure?

And what exactly were your low blood pressure symptoms? Or did you discover you had low blood pressure simply by taking a reading?

I hope you don't mind my being so nosy, but I was just curious as my blood pressure seems to go low occasionally, but it can't be connected to low salt intake cos I eat lots of salty food and also add it to my vegetables, too.

amanda
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 03:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I wonder if our common food intake 'depletes' iodine (or its absorption) in the way that happens to vitamins (such as C). In which case a little iodine in occasional salt may not be nearly enough.
While it could be the proinflammatory nature of much of the food we eat depeletes our reserves of natural anti inflammatory agents, we also know that people, in the UK, are probably deficient in all of these micronutrients; vitamin D, selenium, magnesium and omega 3 as well as possibly also low in iodine.

Instead of focusing separately on each individual micronutrient or amino acid, we should spend more time looking at the way they interact with each other and work in synergy to improve health.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 07:59

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Dr William Davis has blogged several times recently on the subject of iodine deficiency:

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Iodine deficiency is REAL

Like many health-conscious people, Kurt avoids salt. In fact, he has assiduously avoided salt ever since his heart attack back in 1995.

Lately, Kurt had become tired, often for little or no reason. His thyroid panel:

TSH 4.2 mIU/L (0.27-4.20)
Free T3 1.74 pg/ml (2.50-4.30)
Free T4 1.05 ng/dl (0.9-1.7)

Kurt's TSH of 4.2 mIU/L is sufficient to increase LDL cholesterol by 20-30% and increase the (relative) risk for heart attack 3-fold.

Kurt's thyroid was also palpably enlarged. While it was just barely visible--just a minor bulge in the neck (in the shape of a bowtie), it could be clearly felt when I examined him.

I asked Kurt to add 500 mcg of iodine every day. Three months later, another thyroid panel showed:

TSH 0.14 mIU/L (0.27-4.20)
Free T3 2.50 pg/ml (2.50-4.30)
Free T4 1.1 ng/dl (0.9-1.7)

Kurt's thyroid function normalized to nearly ideal levels just with iodine replacement. (The free T3, while improved, remains low; an issue for another day!)

I see this response with some frequency: low-grade goiter and apparent hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) that responds, at least partially, to iodine replacement. In Kurt's case, iodine replacement alone normalized his thyroid measures completely.

It is hard to take Dr. Davis’s words seriously when he honestly thinks this patient's bloods are much better. Yes, his TSH has improved, but most of us hypo patients know by now that TSH is meaningless. TSH is really only a measure of whether your pituitary is working or not. It is recommended that Free T3 be at the top or over the range and Free T4 at least mid range. So, actually supplementing iodine has not done much for this patient, aside from lowering his TSH and bringing his frees into range. In fact, his levels of T3 and T4 were so low; I think it is actually irresponsible medicine to not even offer the poor guy some natural thyroid. He must have felt so ill! Now, maybe another six months of iodine would get his frees to decent levels; but for now he is NOT at nearly "ideal" levels. Dr. Davis has a LOT to learn about hypothyroidism.

Right now- there are also lots of lab facilities here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...mended-labwork/. Make sure you get your adrenals tested also, as if they are weak and you do not support them; you will feel hideous if you go onto thyroid meds.

Last edited by Scarlet : Tue, Oct-13-09 at 05:27.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 09:13

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
I just want to clarify something here: you got LOW blood pressure because you weren't eating enough salt, right?

Or do you hold the "paleo diet" responsible, too?

You write above that you eat "Islander Paleoesque" - is that what you still eat or have you added in salt into your diet since discovering you had low blood pressure?

And what exactly were your low blood pressure symptoms? Or did you discover you had low blood pressure simply by taking a reading?

I hope you don't mind my being so nosy, but I was just curious as my blood pressure seems to go low occasionally, but it can't be connected to low salt intake cos I eat lots of salty food and also add it to my vegetables, too.

amanda

Yeah, I do tie it to the paleo diet. It seems like there have been recent genetic variations in how the body processes salt and apparently I just need it. My main symptom was that when I stood, I would black out. It was pretty bad and I kept making it worse by eating not only no salt, but too much potassium. I felt pretty freaking miserable. I went to the doctor and their machine couldn't even get my reading...I don't remember the number, but the doctor said it was very very low.

I know chronic low blood pressure runs in my family though regardless of diet. I now manage it by eating salt and also by getting enough exercise...that seems to really help. My diet is pretty rich is seaweed and salty brothy bone stocks now too. I haven't had any problems for two months now. I suspect that low blood pressure is a multi-factorial problem that may be about being deficient in other nutrients besides salt.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
It is hard to take Dr. Davis’s words seriously when he honestly thinks this patient's bloods are much better. Yes, his TSH has improved, but most of us hypo patients know by now that TSH is meaningless. TSH is really only a measure of whether your pituitary is working or not. It is recommended that Free T3 be at the top or over the range and Free T4 at least mid range.

To say nothing about wondering what his RT3 is, which apparently Davis never measures!

Quote:
So, actually supplementing iodine has not done much for this patient, aside from lowering his TSH and bringing his frees into range. In fact, his levels of T3 and T4 were so low; I think it is actually irresponsible medicine to not even offer the poor guy some natural thyroid. He must have felt so ill! Now, maybe another six months of iodine would get his frees to decent levels; but for now he is NOT at nearly "ideal" levels. Dr. Davis has a LOT to learn about hypothyroidism.

Absolutely, positively RIGHT!

Lisa
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 10:43

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

What I am wondering is if levels of iodine similar to what the Japanese intake are needed for health then how did native americans not develop thyroid deficiency? The plains indians had no access to salt water and according a 1916 study of iodine contents a well and lake in Kansas both show trace amounts of iodine between .003 and .01 mg per liter of water. Plants grown in the soil show trace or no iodine.

However AFAIK iodine deficiency diseases were not common.
A quick search brought up this article.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/...v51/ai_8199677/
A few relevant excerpts.
I
Quote:
ndividuals with low thyroid function (hypothyroidism) have a reduced ability to change beta-carotene into true vitamin A.

Why is this important? Because far more of the population is hypothyroid than we realize, and most of them are unaware of it. When the late Broda O. Barnes, M.D., Ph.D., world-renowned thyroid authority, first told me that an estimated 40 percent of the population has low thyroid function, most of them undiagnosed, I doubted the figure.

Quote:
Vitamin A is of utmost importance to the thyroid gland and its proper function. Jennings cites studies in which animals who did not receive enough vitamin A were limited in their ability to produce thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). Without enough of this hormone, thyroid gland activity is sluggish and so are we.

Vitamin A-deficient cattle and sheep show degeneration of the area of the pituitary gland where the TSH is synthesized.

The pituitary is the quarterback of glands. It calls the signals for other glands and heavily influences the thyroid. It controls the structure and output of the thyroid gland by means of TSH, ensuring that there is enough thyroid hormone in blood circulating to our trillions of cells. Thyroid hormone acts as a carburetor to regulate cell metabolism.

Vitamin A intake also influences the thyroid gland in another way. Sufficient vitamin A -- not beta-carotene in this instance -- must be present for the thyroid gland to absorb enough iodine, upon which it depends for proper function.

If we also look at the research of Weston A. Price we know that in the primitive cultures he studied who were free from the diseases of civilization they consumed an AVERAGE of 50,000 ius of vitamin A per day.

Perhaps it is not an iodine deficiency that is causing the thyroid problems but a Vitamin A deficiency that is causing a problem with the bodies ability to produce TSH and absorb Iodine.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 11:36

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTris
Perhaps it is not an iodine deficiency that is causing the thyroid problems but a Vitamin A deficiency that is causing a problem with the bodies ability to produce TSH and absorb Iodine.

Interesting.... I have Hashimotos and my new doc thinks I am deficient in Vitamin A due to my Kerratosis Pillaris. Hmm