Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 19:41

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

That's about what I had originally read, except I had read it at Mark's Daily Apple;
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/arti...teners-insulin/

but I'm new at this, so I thought maybe one of the above posters had heard something different, and originally I had thought that moarbacon was referring to something else about diet coke that would or might cause the OP's 'turtle effect'. For the record, I believe my consumption of Diet Coke et al is causing my teeth to rot, so I'm still trying to limit it and eventually cut it out completely.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 19:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
I thought moarbacon was saying that the diet coke was sabotaging loss itself, not just how your palate reacts to sweetness. I would think it doesn't matter what the brain thinks, unless it's a carb calorie, which liquid art. sweeteners aren't processed as, then it couldn't inhibit loss itself, like sugar alcohols and powdered sweetener substitutes can. I can buy liquid sweetener substitutes that aren't sugar alcohols preventing your palate changing to where you aren't craving sweet tastes anymore, but as long as you stick with artificial sweeteners, I'm not understanding how that can inhibit loss.

Maybe sciencey people can step in here and tell me the piece of info I'm not getting.

If I told you I had a magic weight loss product that guaranteed to help you lose weight, you'd be all over me to give it to you, right????

Water. Pure water. Nothing but the water.

Sodas have quite a bit of sodium which causes the body to retain water in order to flush the sodium out.
Most sodas are made with Aspartame. Dr. Atkins advises us not to use aspartame as it is a known staller.
Most people will drink soda instead of water. We need LOTS of water on Atkins. Ketogenic diets (of which Atkins is one) have diuretic properties. This means they will cause you to shed water. However, if you allow yourself to get dehydrated, your body will then hold on to every drop of water it can and store them in your tissues. So, you want to make sure that you drink lots and lots of water. Caffeine is also a diuretic. So, if you are drinking sodas that contain sodium and caffeine, you are going to have all kinds of issues.

I know its hard to get off the sodas, they are SO addictive. But that's what we're all about here, kicking those bad addictions to the curb, losing weight and getting uber healthy all at the same time.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 20:08

BF:

Wait a minute, now I'm hearing two opposite sets of advice;

I'm not defending getting sodium from diet coke, however, I know I've been told on here that, specifically BECAUSE LC has diuretic properties, we actually need MORE sodium than non-LCers. To replace what is being lost with the water.

Plus, DIET Coke only has 30 milligrams of sodium, http://productnutrition.thecoca-col...ducts/diet-coke , unless Coca Cola is bold faced lying to us.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 20:09

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I'm a turtle. On purpose. But I see it as a good thing

My first time on Atkins I was über-strict and I lost weight fast, but I was so black and white about things that when I messed up once it would ruin me. I ended gaining back much of the weight.

This time, I'm living more in the gray. I allow myself to eat things I enjoy even if it means losing more slowly because I'm in it for the long term. I am focused on my health more than weight loss which keeps me from eating junk food, but on occasion, I will allow a higher carb food like black beans, or hummus, or some fruit. Peanut butter isn't a sin and neither is coffee or diet coke. It may take me longer, but I'm okay with that
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 21:20

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I'm a turtle. On purpose. But I see it as a good thing
Peanut butter isn't a sin and neither is coffee or diet coke. It may take me longer, but I'm okay with that

EXACTLY!! Thanks Pinkclouds (I wish mine were pink)
Live and let live people
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 08:15
Registered Member

Stats: 157/146/135 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

I have a really good ref book on artifucial sweetners:
Quote:
Sucralose (splenda)
perhaps it enough to say that Splenda is chlorinated sugar. The sugar molecules are changed by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups. How healthy does that sound? FDA's final report stated that 11 - 27 percent of sucralose is absorbed by humans and rest is excreted. According to Japanese Food Sanitation Council as much as 40 percent is absorbed. Dr Mercola states, " Concidering that Splenda bears more resembelance to DDT than sugar, are you willing to bet your health on this data? Remember that fat soluable substances such as DDT cna remain in your fat for decades and devestate your health.

Aspartame
Is marked today as NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, Equal-Measure. Aspartame users suffer form symptoms of headache, numbness, seizures, joint pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, and epilepsy.
A recent book by DR Russel L. Blaylock, proffesor of neurosurgery, "Excitoxins: The Taste That Kills, explains that aspartame is a neurotransmitter, faciltating the transmission of information from one neuron the another. Aspartame allows to much calcium into brain cells, killing certain nerons, earning aspartame the name of "excitotoxin.
With aspertame to wide spread , even in multivitamins,(read all labels) its no wonder that there is a epidemic of memory loss, Alzheimers disease and MS.
Do you fly the friendly skies? Research had concluded that pilots are more suseptible to seizures after consuming aspartame. The Aspartame Consumer Safety Network notes that 600 pilots have reported acute reactions to asparame including grand mal seizures while in the cockpit.
Food For thought!
Natural low glycemic Sweetners are excellent alternitives to sugar such as Blue Agave, FOS, Fructose, Maple syrop, Stevia, Yacon, (Xylitol -I am not 100 percent sure on, need to recerch that one.)
My children are not even aloud candy that has artificial sweetners. We buy natural. Think of all the children that drink diet pop and you wonder why ADD is running rampade.
Hope this helped, and all the info if not form me but copied from a desk refference.
Amanda
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 14:14

BF:

You've convinced me to make the following decision; as soon as I have a seizure, I will stop using aspartame.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 18:46

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 308/282/165 Female 5'9"
BF:...whatever!
Progress: 18%

LOL, but that was a bit rotten,

most people don't change their bad habits until something forces them.

I am a true case in point! I refused to give up sugar and carbs until I had systemic yeast and couldn't get rid of it through drugs..... took me going LC to get relief!! ( after 2 miserable months of torture!!) I am now kept compliant by avoiding pain.

I prefer truvia (stevia) and I even have a stevia plant at home too!!!

I've noticed the nuts and other little things stalling me.... I was a "2 atkins bar a day-girl" until I just decided that I wanted to lose weight more than I wanted any treats!
so apparently I have been a turtle on purpose, now I'm ramping up and getting compliant.

wish me luck!!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 19:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esam
LOL, but that was a bit rotten

Maybe. The war on diet coke/artificial sweeteners just seems a bit nonsensy to me. It would just feel too much like black and white reasoning to put on my tinfoil hat and say that they're pure evil. These things (art. sweeteners, diet fizzy drinks) have BENEFITS, too. If only for the purpose of flavor, of having a treat, THAT'S a benefit. And as far as risks go, well, peanuts KILL...SOME people, so I'm just not sure how serious, after enjoying art. sweetened foods most of my life, I should realistically be taking the possible risks of them.

Black and white thinking, in the past, has been a great way for me to fail. You have to pick and choose what aspects of your life are priorities, and expending effort of will avoiding all art. sweeteners without ever having had serious issues with them, is not one of mine. That's effort I could spend on much more worthwhile goals. Perfection is not realistically worth its cost. Not every hill is a hill to die on.

Last edited by tragedian : Thu, May-31-12 at 20:17.