Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-09, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Are you a turtle on purpose?

I did a pretty good job losing about 60 pounds last year, but have barely lost a pound in the past 9 months. I took all of December "off" (BAD idea), then went back on for two months but went off again for vacation and was slow to get started again. I gained back twenty, lost 10, gained 5, lost 10, and am just now back to where I was in November of last year. Since then I've really cemented for myseld that eating the way I do is a way of life and not just a diet I can hop on and off...

So all that being said, I realize that I sabotage myself in little ways... I realize this, and yet I can't see myself changing those things any time soon.

I eat a lot of almonds. A lot being about two handfulls a day.
I drink a LOT of diet coke (4 or 5 cans).
I don't adhere to strict induction after a cheat.
I eat LC ice cream from time to time.

Does anyone else knowing sabotage themselves in tiny ways?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 08:42

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I plan cheat days, but then can't bring myself to go off plan. I really can't say that I sabotage myself, even though the people around me try to talk me into it all the time. I can, however, understand totally the desire to eat like I used to, and the cravings for simple things like toast are sometimes uncontrollable.

I even turned down fresh corn on the cob from the garden yesterday and let the kids enjoy their harvest. They fully enjoyed it and slurped their way through the pot full, but I really didn't crave it like I thought I would. I hope that means I've kicked the carb demon to the curb, but I'm sure he will raise his evil head yet again.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 11:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWee
So all that being said, I realize that I sabotage myself in little ways... I realize this, and yet I can't see myself changing those things any time soon.
I eat a lot of almonds. A lot being about two handfulls a day.
I drink a LOT of diet coke (4 or 5 cans).
I don't adhere to strict induction after a cheat.
I eat LC ice cream from time to time.
Does anyone else knowing sabotage themselves in tiny ways?

Hmm, I'm not sure I would really call any of the above "sabotage". To me sabotage is going out for Dunkin Donuts on Saturday mornings or something like that!

But plenty of people have lost tons of weight eating almonds and drinking diet soda and eating LC ice cream. And tons of people lose a lot of weight without ever going on Atkins or Induction. Personally Atkins Induction only leads me off the deep end into cheating territory.

I mean this has to be a way of life for us! If eating almonds or drinking diet coke means the difference between staying on plan or cheating then I saw eat or drink them. Almonds make a huge difference to me also, and unless you have really gigantic hands I can't think two handfuls a day is excessive.

Do you eat them raw? (I do, and love them). Dr William Davis, of the Heartscan blog, claims:

Quote:
Contrary to conventional advice, nuts can be eaten in unlimited quantities. Provided they are raw--unroasted, unsalted (since salting only accompanies roasted nuts), not roasted in unhealthy oils like hydrogenated cottonseed or soybean (very common)--they do not make you fat, regardless of the quantity consumed.

Is he right? Who knows, but I don't feel guilty if I eat a handful or two of raw almonds, which I did just an hour ago, .

But I am clearly a turtle. I have not lost any weight in nearly 7 months now even though I still have well over 100 pounds to lose. But I don't say I do anything to *deliberately* sabotage myself. I do my absolute best to stay on track and focused on low carb, unprocessed foods, and healthy eating. I've given up things that many people use and still lose weight - I've given up coffee, I've given up all diet sodas, I've given up most dairy products.

I just don't lose weight. Clearly there is something preventing it, but I don't know what. And all of the things you mention above are allowed on many LC plans and people do well with them, so can't think of any as deliberate sabotage.

However we may be *inadvertantly* sabotaging ourselves in some way by eating foods that we are sensitive too, eating too much, eating too little, eating too early, eating too late, exercising too much, not exercising enough, too much fat, not enough fat, too many carbs, too few carbs...the list is endless of things that have broken stalls for other people (and most of which I have tried). We just have not found what works for us.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 14:26

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm the Queen of self-sabotage. No new weight loss in about a year.

I think I hate myself!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 240/215/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Don't feel bad. With modern food... diet is just a minefield.

By the way, it's the diet coke.
Suggestion:
Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are the best of the nuts/seeds category.

Oh and again - stop drinking soda!

Last edited by moarbacon : Thu, Feb-25-10 at 12:25.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 22:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yes I think I am a turtle on purpose. I stumbled onto this way of eating last fall after watching "Fathead". He had such a laid back way of eating, not that I do the fast food at all. But diets don't work for me because of the cravings. This is the first time I have never had cravings and it's pretty wonderful. My scale goes to 300 so I was at least that. I quit weighing myself, it makes me crazy to check daily or even weekly. But at the doctors I am at 246. And that's 54 pounds. It was slow and a permanent change of eating. I decided I had to do something even it was slow, and end up loosing. I don't know if it will continue, I hope it does. I haven't changed much, I love my 1 diet coke a day, I do have some carbs every once in a while like lc tortillas, or even one slice of pizza crust, or a dessert. But then I go right back on induction and add foods. It's working for me sort of effortlessly. I don't really miss the carby food like potatoes. I know if I go on a strict diet I will just go crazy and go off of it. I could have gone on WW and lost a ton of weight and been in a better swimsuit by now but it wouldn't have lasted as long as this has.

For my money, slow and steady wins the race.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 00:55

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moarbacon

Suggestion:

Hm. Why do you say it's the diet coke? I drink tons of the stuff. Always have.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 14:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:

I agree, I have my diet cokes. But the new research is saying the fake sweeteners contribute to gaining weight because it sets off cravings or something.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 14:13

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moarbacon

Suggestion:

Pistachios are great too, more work, take care of the salt and yummy!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 14:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayekaye12
I agree, I have my diet cokes. But the new research is saying the fake sweeteners contribute to gaining weight because it sets off cravings or something.

Are you sure what you read wasn't about sugar alcohols? They cause cravings in a lot of people.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
Are you sure what you read wasn't about sugar alcohols?

There are alot of studies that say thast the brain can't tell the dif between fake and real and thus the body reacts to it the same way...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 17:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
There are alot of studies that say thast the brain can't tell the dif between fake and real and thus the body reacts to it the same way...

I thought moarbacon was saying that the diet coke was sabotaging loss itself, not just how your palate reacts to sweetness. I would think it doesn't matter what the brain thinks, unless it's a carb calorie, which liquid art. sweeteners aren't processed as, then it couldn't inhibit loss itself, like sugar alcohols and powdered sweetener substitutes can. I can buy liquid sweetener substitutes that aren't sugar alcohols preventing your palate changing to where you aren't craving sweet tastes anymore, but as long as you stick with artificial sweeteners, I'm not understanding how that can inhibit loss.

Maybe sciencey people can step in here and tell me the piece of info I'm not getting.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 17:52

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/264.2/150 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 44%

It's not just the palate issue; artificial sweeteners spike some people's blood sugar and prompt immediate insulin dumping into the bloodstream. And excess insulin is what drives weight gain in the first place.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 18:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie
It's not just the palate issue; artificial sweeteners spike some people's blood sugar and prompt immediate insulin dumping into the bloodstream. And excess insulin is what drives weight gain in the first place.

Just trying to understand; are you referring to artificial sweeteners that contain no carbohydrates. No calories. I don't have diabetes, so I haven't gotten the medical advice that a lot of you have, but I AM trying to control my blood sugar/insulin, so, well, like I said, I'm just trying to understand.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
This is a MYTH,urban legend...Misinformation
Mayo Clinic endocrinologist
Can I use artificial sweeteners if I have diabetes?

Answer

from Maria Collazo-Clavell, M.D.

You can use most artificial sweeteners if you have diabetes, including:
  • Saccharin (Sweet'N Low)
  • Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal)
  • Acesulfame potassium (Sunett)
  • Sucralose (Splenda)
Artificial sweeteners, also called sugar substitutes, offer the sweetness of sugar without the calories. Artificial sweeteners are many times sweeter than sugar, so it takes a smaller amount to sweeten foods. This is why foods made with artificial sweeteners may have fewer calories than those made with sugar.

Artificial sweeteners don't affect your blood sugar level. In fact, most artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods" because they don't count as a carbohydrate, a fat or any other diabetes exchange. Remember, however, other ingredients in foods containing artificial sweeteners can still affect your blood sugar level.

Also, be cautious with sugar alcohols — including mannitol, sorbitol and xylitol. Sugar alcohols can increase your blood sugar level. And for some people, sugar alcohols cause diarrhea.