Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:47

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilozzi
Doesn't lettuce, olives and pickles all have carbs? Or was it just a term to infer 'very low carbs'?

That is exactly how I took it when I read that book. Yes dr. atkins mentions eating up to 20 grams of carbohydrate in the begining of DANDR, however he firmly says to eat your allotment of vegetables.

As others have pointed out, eating 0 carbohydrate isn't "bad" per se, it simply is not following atkins. So if it is working for you, of course keep it up.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:54

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Che, I have had better success with the original 72 version than the later versions, that is what is wonderful about LC you can find a plan that works for you and enjoy what you are eating while doing it.
LC does seem to work best the first time for some, if you have been on a low calorie diet, that you were not getting enough protein on, sometimes that can make weight loss very slow when you switch to low carb. There are so many factors that contribute to slow weight loss, for some it is exercise (I know who would think). There is however a tremendous amount of information on this forum.

Stalls/tips or the turtle thread might have some information you could read. I really do hope you find success with the plan you are using. I would never judge what works for others I can only tell you about my experience, and for me that is protein/fat/lowcarbveg's/water.

You are definitely committing to LC.
Here's hoping this is only a blip in your journey.
Scotiagirl
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257.5/257.5/105 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
dr. atkins he firmly says to eat your allotment of vegetables.
[/I]

Please share where in the book he says that. Which page, please?
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by che

Well for instance, pages 97 through 99 of DANDR (2002 edition), he goes on to mention how important eating the vegetables and low carb fruits are to getting enough nutrients.

He mentioned it in many interviews he did throughout his lifetime as well. He never said you must get 20 grams of carbohydrate a day of course, just that you should be eating at lease some vegetables and/or low carb fruit.

Again, if eating just meat and fish works for you, by all means keep it up.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 12:18

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by che

As has been said, in DANDR Dr Atkins does say to eat veggies from the start. However if you are following DADR (the 1972 version) he does suggest you eat a small salad twice a day.
Page 134 of the hardback edition says
Quote:
Plus Number 2: GREEN SALADS PLUS . . . The second plus is that you are allowed green salad with your lunch and dinner.
and
Quote:
To eat just protein and fat without the garden-fresh crispness that salad provides is a drudgery

Also as has been said in other posts eggs, cheese, cream and some meats have carbs in them anyway, so unless you are only eating meat with no carbs and fishwith no carbs you cannot be on a zero carb regime

And if you are following the older version, remember the induction period was for one week only before you start to add other carbs!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 15:01
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by che
I've been following it almost to the letter (that is, to the letter except for the water consumption, and I highly doubt that that's what's keeping me from losing because I was on Atkins a few years ago successfully ...
Oops, that could be it. It can be harder to lose the 2ND time around and even harder the third etc. I haven't been losing weight on VLC either, but I may be losing fat. I am working out harder than before even in this hot weather.

I think I remember the phrase from Atkins book regarding eggs as "biologically zero." He also said "take a piece of paper and draw a circle, that's the number of carbs you need per day."
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 15:12
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Well for instance, pages 97 through 99 of DANDR (2002 edition), he goes on to mention how important eating the vegetables and low carb fruits are to getting enough nutrients.

Thank but "DANDR"? What is that? I'm going by the book Dr. Atkins wrote about his diet plan. Did Dr. Atkins author DANDR, or is that a quote. Even if he said that, saying it's important to eat veggies for nutrition isn't the same as saying it's a requirement for weight loss. I haven't seen in the book he wrote specifically about his diet that veggies are needed for weight loss. I'd like to know for sure though if the veggies are necessary for the Atkins plan to work.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
He also said "take a piece of paper and draw a circle, that's the number of carbs you need per day."

Ah. Thx for the concrete answer. I just needed to know if 0 carbs was sabotaging my efforts.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 15:17

BF:

DANDR is an abreviation for "DR. Atkins New Diet Revolution". Which is a book he wrote.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
DANDR is an abreviation for "DR. Atkins New Diet Revolution". Which is a book he wrote.

Thanks. I have that one. You're right that he indicates veggies as a requirement. On page 98, he says "Once they complete Induction and begin the next phase [...]. This phase prescribes [...] green, leafy vegetables [...]. (emphasis mine) As you can see, however, it's the phase after Induction in which the veggies are required, not the phase I'm in, which is Induction. Thanks for your response, though. I'm glad to have had found a good answer in the book (thanks to you).
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 04:24

Plan: LC re-start
Stats: 139/139/120 Female 166cm
BF:

Yep, up to 20 grams of carbs. It's up to you entirely how you eat and choose whether or not to eat carbs at all.

Have you looked into supplements?
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 04:46
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

che, would you like to see something that is unbelievable? something done without vitamins, vegetables, fruits, sugar free desserts, oopsie rolls and any other franken food you might be thinking of to keep the cravings at bay????

here is the unbelievable: feast your eyes on these women!!!!
then begin reading from the top called, "Faq's"

these are two photo's.. a couple, both on ZC, here are some before and after shots.. there are tons of before and after shots in her journal of her journey, alone..but her whole family is ZC... margot

and another lady...caitlin

neither of these lady eat veggies, fruits, sugar free junk.. neither of them work out with a treadmill or weights or cardio... NADA...

i hope this lifts your spirits.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 05:24

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

Che,

Quote from the Atkins website regarding induction:

"You’ll eat leafy greens and vegetables – salad greens and non-starchy vegetables should make up around 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day."

First they say "will" and then they say "should". Your choice, I guess as to how to interpret it.

I think one of the reasons they recommend a lot water and some fibrous veggies is that some people get constipated when they start Atkins and the water/fiber should help with that. If your constipated you may not see your weight loss as quickly.

But I think I may have been incorrect in stating that the veg is required on induction. Go zero carb and see how that works for you. I would recommend drinking plenty of water.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 05:31
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessnut
Go zero carb and see how that works for you. I would recommend drinking plenty of water.
a guy after my own prime rib roast!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 10:11

Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

After reading this thread and several VLC threads, I guess the question would be -- how much difference (and why) does eating 10-20 carbs per day make for some people? I don't know the answer but it does present an interesting one to ponder.