Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 08:22

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Should all animals eat a high fat, low carb diet? Barry Groves article

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 14:30

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I LOVE it. Too bad I can't print this out, roll it up and then use it to beat Dr. Oz with
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 15:43

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

I wonder if they counted the bugs that cattle eat when calculating the protein percentage.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 20:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I'm too lazy, but I'd bet a week's unemployment check that you could find plenty of evidence that humans are designed to be omnivores. We've got a gut midway between in design between hindgut herbivores and carnivores. We can't ferment fiber into SCFA, but we can extract minerals from plants. And so on and so on. I'm surprised Groves would try and argue that we're carnivores with a thing for arugula.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 06:55

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I'm too lazy, but I'd bet a week's unemployment check that you could find plenty of evidence that humans are designed to be omnivores. We've got a gut midway between in design between hindgut herbivores and carnivores. We can't ferment fiber into SCFA, but we can extract minerals from plants. And so on and so on. I'm surprised Groves would try and argue that we're carnivores with a thing for arugula.

There is almost no such thing as a complete carnivore or a complete herbivore. However if you compare the human digestive tract with that of a bear which is a true omnivore you can tell that we are much more closely related to carnivores by digestive design.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 07:42

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
There is almost no such thing as a complete carnivore or a complete herbivore.

Ferrets and cats are obligate carnivores.
Geese and cows are herbivores...but even they will eat easily obtainable animal protein in the form of insects
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 12:57
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Great article. Ill have to remember that next time I hear "humans aren't carnivores because our intestine is too long, not short like a dog's." Apparently our appendix is all that's left of a "hind-gut" if we ever had one.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 15:24
Grease is the word!

Ah Ha, that argument/discussion just came up again this weekend, so I searched out, then referenced this article:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/sh...-carb-diet.html
Quote:
It is noticeable that no animal in its natural habitat, eating its natural food, is overweight, diabetic or suffers any of the other 'diseases of civilization' that plague us. The fact that the animals we keep as pets, or use as food animals, which have their foods controlled by us, also suffer these diseases, adds to the weight of evidence that our idea of what constitutes a 'healthy diet' — low in fats and high in carbs, is completely wrong.

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Jul-24-11 at 15:36. Reason: sp, gram
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 16:00

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Also note that the less nutritional science there is, the better the health. In this era of deepest nutritional science and most extensive knowledge, we are the sickest and fattest we've ever been.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 16:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Ah Ha, that argument/discussion just came up again this weekend, so I searched out, then referenced this article:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/sh...-carb-diet.html

My overweight dogs became thin when they started eating my high-fat, low-carb leftovers instead of pasta and bread.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 17:00

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I don't think that dog and cat food is so full of carbs because the the manufacturers thinks that's what they need. I think it's filled with carbs because it's dirt cheap and they can improve their profit margins.

This argument easily extends to humans, except that we have managed to delude ourselves that it's actually the best way to eat.

I wonder if vegetables really deserves to be on the pedestal we have put them. Oh well, no matter. I've given up grains and sugar, but I ain't giving up veggies too.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 18:02

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I don't think that dog and cat food is so full of carbs because the the manufacturers thinks that's what they need. I think it's filled with carbs because it's dirt cheap and they can improve their profit margins.

This argument easily extends to humans, except that we have managed to delude ourselves that it's actually the best way to eat.

I wonder if vegetables really deserves to be on the pedestal we have put them. Oh well, no matter. I've given up grains and sugar, but I ain't giving up veggies too.

I think you're on to something. Maybe profit is such a strong incentive that we went so far as to convince ourselves that carbs are good for us in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 06:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I think you're on to something. Maybe profit is such a strong incentive that we went so far as to convince ourselves that carbs are good for us in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

I am certain that is why pet foods are full of corn; it's dirt cheap, it doesn't go bad, and it's easily shaped into pellets for handling.

However, my cats' weight, health, and fur all improved dramatically when I ditched the grains in their food.

Likewise, in humans, eating what giant corporations serve up means we ingest a lot of cheap carbs, transfats, and chemicals. I've never understood people who claim low carb is too expensive. If all you were eating were rice and beans, yes. But most people buy the $3 box of cookies and the $4 box of cereal; switching that out for a $7 package of hamburger is much cheaper in terms of the nutrients we would get for the same money.

It's like acting as though the cheap shirt that is going to shrink as soon as you wash it is a better bargain than the more expensive shirt that will last for years.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 07:21
Grease is the word!

As Paul Harvey would say ... (pause) "and now the rest of the story!"

Comparing the gut of Human, dog and sheep. I just looked up the Grizzly Bear digestive tract, now that was interesting.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ca...comparison.html

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diseases_index.html

Commercial Pet Foods Can Kill:

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, Jul-25-11 at 09:29. Reason: Pic
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 08:05

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

It's like acting as though the cheap shirt that is going to shrink as soon as you wash it is a better bargain than the more expensive shirt that will last for years.

Some people never get their heard around that simple fact. To be fair, some people can't afford anything else (and some can't, but buy the more expensive stuff anyway and end up in debt).

I think the problem with food, is that there is this huge lack of awareness about the importance of nutrition and it's far-reaching impact on health. Yeah everyone keeps hearing about a diet of fruits and vegetables, whole-grain, lean meat and low-fat dairy blah blah. But it's just a vague thing, something to worry about in the future when you're "old". People don't realize the huge immediate impact food can have on your feeling of well-being, mood and energy level. That's why we need more education.

I'm not holding my breath however, since most of the health community is just as blissfully ignorant as the rest