Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 02:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

...And a perfectly good decision on your part. Your call. It didn't turn you off working out. It was insensitive. I'm glad you've got caring people in your life that would be concerned and supportive. Keep moving! (and I'll try to do some of that myself!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 04:18

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks Gail, it is hard to find an exercise that fits my personality, I love stretching, I think I would like weight training, but I have a bad shoulder a thumb that has be bent back again just last week. Yes, I drop a lot of stuff. I have a good dvd that has stretching as it's main focus and did that yesterday. I like the idea of walking, I would like to try this, I need to get a pair of shoes, I'm a sandal kind of gal. Anyway, do you have anything that you are interested in or are you in indecision like me on just where to start?
Scotiagirl
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 03:33

I like to bike, but I hate the feeling I get when people stare at a 200+ woman on a bike. I guess I'm a little self conscious at the moment. DH (he's a cardiac patient) has been told to walk, and he won't. I'd just like to start walking with him. And we have an exercise bike inside for those times I don't have time to work out except for very early or very late.

Do you have a community college nearby? I was able to take a one-credit pass/fail exercise class and use the gym/weight room for a semester for $49. They have student assistants and instructors who are very willing to teach you what to do, what's good form, and how to avoid dangerous moves without ridicule. Can't do that at the moment, but as soon as I can back off my schedule, it's back to class I go!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 06:02
macabrem

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaGirl
Thanks Gail, it is hard to find an exercise that fits my personality, I love stretching, I think I would like weight training, but I have a bad shoulder a thumb that has be bent back again just last week. Yes, I drop a lot of stuff. I have a good dvd that has stretching as it's main focus and did that yesterday. I like the idea of walking, I would like to try this, I need to get a pair of shoes, I'm a sandal kind of gal. Anyway, do you have anything that you are interested in or are you in indecision like me on just where to start?
Scotiagirl

I think resistance bands (or "fitness bands") are sometimes a good alternative to weight training. If you have a bad shoulder, be careful, but you can still do isolated exercises like bicep curls without stressing your shoulder too much.

Also, there is the much neglected body weight squat. I never squatted much when I was into heavy weight lifting, and now I regret it. I've added body weight squats to my exercise routine, and now I include a 20lb weight vest with them, and my butt and legs are definitely more firm.

I'm a pretty big believer in using anaerobic exercise to boost fat loss and metabolism. Good luck. I'm really hoping you find something that works well for you.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 08:56

BF:

Many excellent ideas. I did buy resistance bands that came with a video from Richard Simmons....second hand, I thought that it might be a start, I also joined "SparksPeople" a free site,it had some great info. and video's with print off sheets. Things I can start at home, that could help with the weight lifting part of it.
Macabrem, the cardio still scares me, I know I have to learn though.

Gail what type of bike to you have? I do live within a 10-15 minutes drive of not 1 but 3 universities, but I feel so out of shape I'm embarrassed to try. I'm also hesitant after the first bad experience.

Thanks for you support,this is definitely new territory for me and I appreciate you input immensely.

Scotiagirl
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 09:35

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

What a shame your instructor has that attitude! I train 4 times a week in Krav Maga (Israeli martial art), and believe me, there are people in class of all ages and sizes. None of the instructors have ever made disparaging comments to the students in the whole 14 months I've been going. I think you just need to find a new trainer--the kind that really loves teaching, not just maintaining the status quo for elite students. It doesn't take long for teachers and trainers to show which type they really are
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 10:44

BF:

Thanks girlbug (love the name). She certainly showed her true "stripes" to me. Wow martial arts, what do you love about it? I've never heard of Krav Maga, you sound like you have found something you really enjoy, and instructor(s), that love teaching. Thank you for letting me know that there is so much out there to try. Your enthusiasm is contagious.
I completed my second attempt at a stretching video, maybe slowly but surely will give me enough courage to try another class.
Scotiagirl
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 15:32

I've found that if you go visit first, you'll find out what kind of folks use a place and what their attitude is. If it's just muscular guys and everyone's a jock and they don't want your business, you'll know soon. If there are people of every size and age, and the staff aren't just little cute girls, and they act like they're really glad you decided to start working out, you might have found a place. They might let you come to a session or a class free to check things out. The colleges -- approach a PE instructor and see what his/her attitude is. I found a 60'ish woman PE instructor who was incredibly happy to teach people not to be afraid of the equipment. That was really a joy. I planned my hours around the times I knew she was there.

Bike? Nothing special. An old 15-speed road bike, discount store special. I rarely ride though. Exercise bike is about the same, cheap thing. Just gets me moving.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 18:46

BF:

Thanks Gail, great tips about checking out a new place and seeing about trial lessons or membership. I have never belong to a club and really know nothing, Monday was the first time I had heard of the "plank" position everyone else knew exactly what the instructor was referring to. I like the idea of planning sessions at times with the instructor you like. Now that is good planning on your part.
I have never even been on a stationary bike. I was just wondering if it was worth investigating.
Thanks again for the advice on finding the right gym for me, you are an angel to keep answering my questions with such patients and detail.
Scotiagirl
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 23:00
macabrem

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Macabrem, the cardio still scares me, I know I have to learn though.

I think you may have misread what I wrote - I said "anaerobic" not "aerobic". Easy to misread though.

I'm hoping you definitely give some thought to building muscle. Take care.

Matt
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 05:58

BF:

Thanks Matt, you are completely right. I did think it was "aerobic", can you explain anaerobic please. Another question, but your so kind and patient, I appreciate that.
Scotiagirl
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 06:10
macabrem

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Thanks Matt, you are completely right. I did think it was "aerobic", can you explain anaerobic please. Another question, but your so kind and patient, I appreciate that.
Scotiagirl

ScotiaGirl,
No problem. Wikipedia really explains anaerobic better than I could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise

I think that technically a lot of people that work out with weights or resistance bands may fall in between aerobic and anaerobic - if the weights are low and that repetitions are high, the body will be working on both strength and endurance.

Either way, if you can grow some muscle, it really helps to burn fat. I'm not saying that all men have more muscle than all women, but because many men do have more muscle than women in general, I think that is why weight loss is easier for men.

I hope that helps. As always, take care.

Matt
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 07:12

BF:

Matt
Great info., in an easy format. Thanks. I have started exercising, it's an hour long video, and it you use body weight with exercising ranging from 50-100 reps, it's similar I believe to palates (sp?). I have done it twice now and would like to get that done 3x a week. I also have purchased a video with the bands...did a recky through it yesterday....the shoulder exercises are going to be brutal. There is so much out there that I know nothing about.
Thanks again for your patients with a novice.
Scotiagirl
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 09:05

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Hmmm, what do I love about Martial Arts, well, I guess I juss finally discovered my "sport" so to speak. I spent the 90s trying to get in shape and lose weight by jogging and taking traditional aerobics classes, but I was bored out of my skull after a short time. LOL I felt ridiculous dancing around in those classes, I know I was very uncoordinated and even if I could get the moves down I would never dance that way in real life.

Weird--I've always been a peaceful person, but when I started a cardio kickboxing class four years ago I found out that I loved kicking and punching solid objects (the pads and heavy bags). That lead to an interest in learning more outside of just cardio kickboxing.

Krav Maga is a reality-based self defense system, in other words, not training for sport or competition. It tends to attract regular people as such as opposed to just the jock and cheerleader types. You go there to learn self defense skills and get into great shape at the same time, but no matter what level you are starting at it is adaptable to you. You can follow along at your own pace if you are not able to do some of the exercises. The instructors and students are all very understanding and friendly. I've met and had great conversations with all kinds of people I would have been too shy to approach in any other setting.

Martial arts as a regular practice aren't for everyone, but I strongly believe that everyone would benefit from some good self defense training
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 11:41

BF:

Girlbug, you have found something you love, I can tell by the way you describe it.
I remember the 90's but not the name of the "studio" I took classes at (It night have been Gloria Stevens).....I completely forgot about that, I was young and thinner than I will ever be again and I thought I was heavy then, I had no idea 118 lbs is not over weight, everybody was so thin then
You are correct everyone should have a self defense class. I think I might look into that, my husband is in the military and that resource centre runs classes for spouces, I never even considered it before, I will see when they are having there next course, my son might even like to take that.
Thanks
Scotiagirl