Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 17:44

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%
Question Thyroid test tomorrow - what do I need to ask them to check?

Hi,

Sorry to repeat this question if it's been asked already...

I am going to the doctors (to see the nurse) for a blood test (thyroid check) tomorrow morning... after just not getting round to it for ages!

I have learnt quite a bit after reading through this part of the forum and realised that when I had my previous thryoid check (about 2 or 3 years ago) my doctor only tested my TSH... I thought this was ok, but later realised that isn't the test to do!

So, when I go tomorrow... I know the nurse will just end up doing what my doctor did and check just TSH. So I will need to go in there and tell/ask her what I want done. Should I be asking her to check my FT3 and FT4 levels? is that correct?... I just want to make sure I get it right, and don't miss anything or make myself sound an idiot.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

You got it right.

One other test I wish I would have had before I got on medication is for thyroid antibodies. This will tell you if you have Hashimotos disease. I had the test long after I got on thyroid medication and tested in the normal range. My dr told me the medication shut down my thyroid production and could cause the antibody levels to drop below premedicated level.

I'm not going off my meds to find out!

A friend of mine had normal thyroid levels, but had antibodies and symptoms. The dr put her on a very low dose of thyroid immediately.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
You got it right.

One other test I wish I would have had before I got on medication is for thyroid antibodies. This will tell you if you have Hashimotos disease. I had the test long after I got on thyroid medication and tested in the normal range. My dr told me the medication shut down my thyroid production and could cause the antibody levels to drop below premedicated level.

I'm not going off my meds to find out!

A friend of mine had normal thyroid levels, but had antibodies and symptoms. The dr put her on a very low dose of thyroid immediately.

Thanks for your help nawchem! I'm glad you replied so quickly as it's bed time now and I wouldn't have had time to check in the morning.

Test for thyroid antibodies? is that not done anyway... or is that another test I would need to request?

I hope I get my point across tomorrow - as I am not the most confident person/speaker.

I had been checked before mainly due to my weight gain.

But I recently looked up the symptoms for hypo and I have a few... but then again, they could also be caused by other things... so I thought it would be best to just get tested and find out.

Some of the symptoms I have:

Depression (which I've suffered with for 10 years anyway, but it's VERY severe at the moment)
Weight gain
Hard time losing weight (even though I haven't been exercising... surely I should be able to lose more than 2-3lbs in a month! well, I suppose it depends)
My concentration seems poor lately, when it never used to be
I feel tired alot (not to the point where I can't stay awake)... but I can sleep longer than the average person - but I put this down to my low mood and depression, I rather be asleep than awake and thinking etc.

I get cold yes, but most of the time I am always hot and overheating while everyone else is cold lol.
I don't have irregular periods (but that's because I am on birth control?)
I don't have dry skin
My hair isn't falling out or coarse
I'm not constipated

So basically it's just depression, gained weight (I don't gain weight for no reason. I simply just overeat and don't move enough. I only gained 3lbs in 6 weeks with SEVERE overeating and take aways - to me that's pretty damn good! lol). Not being able to lose weight very well (sort of) and concentration is a bit off...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 21:42
Registered Member

Kay
I hope you don't walk out of the office frustrated. It happens a lot with thyroid issues. I'm not sure what they'll test you for, or find, but don't let it get it to you if its not helpful right away. I've walked out of drs offices and cried in my car a few times. But somehow I've always found someone that could help me.

Even with my thyroid fixed I can gain wt super easily and I don't lose it nearly as fast.

I hope you can get help for the depression. I recently stopped living alone, it helps me to be around people all the time, nice people. Nice weather and eating good food help as well.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-09, 06:30

Well it's all done (I'm not very good with blood tests - I had two bad experiences and it put me off big time! but this nurse was brilliant, I didn't feel a thing!).

When I got in their she asked me what it was I wanted a blood check for. I said thyroid check and to check FT3 and FT4 and she looked at me strangely (as if to say, what do you mean?) lol... then she said "oh yes, that's all included and checked in the test anyway"... so hopefully that's correct.

My results could be in by Friday, if not then Monday.

I really hope I am not hypo - but in another way I hope I am, because then it would answer SO many of my problems! But deep down, I really don't want to be, because of the blood tests, medication etc etc.

I'll let you know my results when I get them back.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-09, 07:31
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/168.4/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Kay - you could have some sort of metabolic problem going on as well. Adrenals, Syndrome X, Insulin Resistance. Might be worth further checking. I am also having a huge array of bloodwork done - most of it checking for metabolic problems.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 15:39

Hi,

Well my test results should be back, but I am going to make an appointment for this week (hopefully tomorrow Moday) to discuss/view my results... and get a copy.

The thing is, after reading threads on here and how 'bad' doctors can be with thyroid problems, I am worried my doctor will say everything is ok (when really it isn't and I'm borderline or something), because I don't really know what I am looking for.

So with regards to FT3 and FT4... I have no idea what the 'normal' ranges are until I see my result sheet - so just for an EXAMPLE if normal range was say 2.5 - 5.5... where would 'ok' be? More towards 2.5? In the middle (4.0)? Or more towards 5.5?
Or even below 2.5 or above 5.5... Basically, if I am within range is there a point at all that still causes concern? I hope that makes sense.

Like I said, I have no idea about FT3 and FT4 ranges, my 'number's above were just an example to get my question across lol.

Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: my own/ IF
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 63.75 inches
BF:I/don't/care
Progress: 0%

Hi, Kay2008
A really good place for thyroid info is a forum called: real thyroid help.(sorry I don't have a link, but try googling it). Also check out "Stop The thyroid Madness" web site. They also have lots of good info. They have some great informational stickies and forum gurus who can help you with any questions about your tests and results.

Frohefrau
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 21:16
Registered Member

This is from my last thyroid test.

Test Description............................. Result......Range ..............Units
TSH004264 ....................................0.008.......0.450-4.500......uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum010389 ......3.9 ........2.3-4.2 .........pg/mL
T4,Free(Direct)019745 ....................1.28 .......0.61-1.76.........pg/mL

Where they decide to treat depends on the doctor, and how they weigh the numbers against the symptoms.

In my mind I would like my T3 to be lower and my T4 a little higher. But it took a miracle to get the medications such that I feel normal so I try not to be compulsive about numbers.

Even after I got my medication right, it has taken years for my nails, hair and skin to be normal. My energy level and low blood pressure were immediately corrected. I've read that most people feel better in the mid range or above.

Last edited by nawchem : Sun, Jun-07-09 at 21:22.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroheFrau
Hi, Kay2008
A really good place for thyroid info is a forum called: real thyroid help.(sorry I don't have a link, but try googling it). Also check out "Stop The thyroid Madness" web site. They also have lots of good info. They have some great informational stickies and forum gurus who can help you with any questions about your tests and results.

Frohefrau

Thanks Fronhefrau, I will make sure to take a look at both websites - I need as much info as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
This is from my last thyroid test.

Test Description............................. Result......Range ..............Units
TSH004264 ....................................0.008.......0.450-4.500......uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum010389 ......3.9 ........2.3-4.2 .........pg/mL
T4,Free(Direct)019745 ....................1.28 .......0.61-1.76.........pg/mL

Where they decide to treat depends on the doctor, and how they weigh the numbers against the symptoms.

In my mind I would like my T3 to be lower and my T4 a little higher. But it took a miracle to get the medications such that I feel normal so I try not to be compulsive about numbers.

Even after I got my medication right, it has taken years for my nails, hair and skin to be normal. My energy level and low blood pressure were immediately corrected. I've read that most people feel better in the mid range or above.

Wow, thanks for posting that nawchem! has made me understand a bit better now.

Gotta run, my appointment is in 45 minutes - I phoned them up 10 mins ago and managed to get a cancellation appointment with my doctor (who unfortunately, retires at the end of the month )... had her for years and I hate the thought of changing doctors!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 05:14

Ok I have seen my doctor and discussed my results. I feel satisfied with them and what she said... she said right now, I'm ok...

Here are my results anyway:

TSH: 4.21 (Range 0.25 - 5.00 miu/L)
FT4: 16 (Range 9 - 23 pmol/L)

She said my FT4 is fine, and since my last test in 2006 it has gone up (by 1 or 2). My TSH has risen, it was 3.7 in 2006, it's now 4.21. She said to come for more blood tests in a few months to keep an eye on it and if/when it reaches more towards 5.0 then that's when they would think about putting me on medication.

They lab didn't check FT3 as they felt my FT4 was in range so all was ok.

Overall I'm quite satisfied. The last thing I wanted was to go in there and feel like I was bashing my head against a brick wall.

Last edited by Kay2008 : Mon, Jun-08-09 at 05:20.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 08:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
TSH: 4.21 (Range 0.25 - 5.00 miu/L)

They're using old reference ranges. The new range is 3.2. So you're definitely going into hypothyroid territory.

TSH levels above 1.5 are associated with higher levels of heart disease. So that is something you might want to take to your doctor. Google for the "Hunt study TSH". There's stuff on the heartscanblog about it too.

BTW: You might want to take a little iodine just to make sure it isn't an iodine deficiency causing your thyroid troubles. Don't go crazy with it though, too much can cause hypothyroid.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 09:32
Registered Member

What I've read and experienced is that in early hypothyroid often fT3 is low and fT4 is normal. It would have been really great to have that number. I agree with NancyLC, you're already hypothyroid, I think your dr is expecting it to get worse. But at least they are taking it seriously and watching.

about.thyroid.com is really a great site with Mary Shommon and she has written some books, we can get them at the library in the U.S.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 12:48

Hi,

I thought the ranges had changed in the US... I'm in the UK?

Yes, but my doctor said she wouldn't prescribe me thyroid medication now as she felt she doesn't need to. She asked my symptoms, and as I only have 3 or 4 and they aren't severe she felt all was ok, for now.

I will be going back every few months to have blood tests to keep an eye on my TSH.

But reading through this site, I thought doctors shouldn't go by TSH? it's so confusing, info says to go by FT3 and FT4 and not just TSH, or TSH alone.

My doctor who I have had for years retires soon... so today was my last appointment with her. She is a great doctor, more like a friend... if I have a problem she will help me out right away (medical wise)... so I feel, if she was that worried today she would have given me medication.

I now have to see a different doctor, who I have seen once before. She is ok, but I wont feel the same with her - she doesn't seem as caring or 'friendly' as my other doctor. So, getting anywhere with this is basically going to be an utter nightmare.

I suppose all I can really do, is make another appointment which wil be with my new doctor just to see how she is with discussing this. Not alot can be said in a 10 minute slot though, it's frustrating.

Should I really be on medication now? or not until I get upto 5.00? Should/can I 'demand' to be put on medication? - now I can really understand alot of your frustration with getting a doctor to prescribe meds for hypo

Deep down I know I am hypo or will be hypo, but doctors seem such hard work when it comes to this sort of thing.

Last edited by Kay2008 : Mon, Jun-08-09 at 12:58.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 16:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Try an iodine supplement first.