Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 10:34
Judynyc's Avatar
Judynyc Judynyc is offline
Attitude is a Choice
Posts: 29,974
 
Plan: SBD->atkins twist->paleo
Stats: 274/000/160 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 240%
Location: NYC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
No problem, I thoroughly understand it can be extremely difficult with food addictions! When I'm stressed I find myself standing in front of the open frig...lately I think about whether I am hungry or not and usually the answer is no! Usually I am frustrated, bored, or extremely stressed so I have been making myself go outside and garden or go for a walk! It seems to take my mind off of the situation and helps me to work through it without eating...old habits are hard to break!

You'll get there...this is ALL RECENT FOR ME!

TJ

WOW TJ!....reading this was amazing for me....good for you!!!
Very impressive changes you are making.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 06:48
Anniriki's Avatar
Anniriki Anniriki is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 55
 
Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Minnesota
Default

JudyNYC is right, those changes you've made are really good ones. It really is a matter of getting your head in the right place. Gardening is a great way to get your mind off of your problems, and so is taking a walk. Thanks for the suggestions. Also, I've been reading about black strap molasses - who would have thought that stuff could do so much. I wonder if its really true. Have you noticed great improvements since you started taking it? Do you just down a tablespoon, or do you mix it in milk or water?
Reply With Quote
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 14:02
skeeweeaka's Avatar
skeeweeaka skeeweeaka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,154
 
Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Location: Ohio
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
WOW TJ!....reading this was amazing for me....good for you!!!
Very impressive changes you are making.


Thanks Judy I really appreciate your feedback! It's odd how I don't really have cravings but want to eat to fill in the gaps of my life...it's an ongoing process that I'm determined to resolve... What's that saying..."it's not what you're eating, but what's eating you," or something like that!

Peace and Blessings!

TJ
Reply With Quote
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 14:06
skeeweeaka's Avatar
skeeweeaka skeeweeaka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,154
 
Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Location: Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
JudyNYC is right, those changes you've made are really good ones. It really is a matter of getting your head in the right place. Gardening is a great way to get your mind off of your problems, and so is taking a walk. Thanks for the suggestions. Also, I've been reading about black strap molasses - who would have thought that stuff could do so much. I wonder if its really true. Have you noticed great improvements since you started taking it? Do you just down a tablespoon, or do you mix it in milk or water?


Thanks Ann!

Yes the black strap molasses has really helped me....it gives me a bit of energy when I use it, but I use a teaspoon full 3 times a day for the energy boost! It's amazing because it is the part of the sugar with all of the vitamins and minerals so I stir it in yogurt, or in peanut butter on flax bread, or into oatmeal, etc... I can't eat it by itself because I am insulin resistant and it makes my blood sugars rise...but I use cinnamon before meals to counteract that process! I don't use any form of sugar any more, other than sugarless gum when exercising...I just sprinkle cinnamon in my teas...

Hope this helps somehow...



TJ
Reply With Quote
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-09, 06:30
Anniriki's Avatar
Anniriki Anniriki is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 55
 
Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Minnesota
Default

You've got a lot of great ideas TJ. I am insulin resistant, too, so taking molasses alone isn't good for me either. I bet it makes plain yogurt taste pretty good, though. Or oatmeal. I'll try it both ways.

Have you read Schwarzbein's book 2? What did you think of it? What I don't want is information overload. Then I get stuck debating the pros and cons of different theories and I never really commit to anything. I've been following the JK thread and while it makes a lot of sense, it involves too much weighing and measuring for me. I can easily obsess over food and that w o e would make me fixate on the ratios. I need to keep things pretty simple or I get myself in trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-09, 11:53
skeeweeaka's Avatar
skeeweeaka skeeweeaka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,154
 
Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Location: Ohio
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
You've got a lot of great ideas TJ. I am insulin resistant, too, so taking molasses alone isn't good for me either. I bet it makes plain yogurt taste pretty good, though. Or oatmeal. I'll try it both ways.

Have you read Schwarzbein's book 2? What did you think of it? What I don't want is information overload. Then I get stuck debating the pros and cons of different theories and I never really commit to anything. I've been following the JK thread and while it makes a lot of sense, it involves too much weighing and measuring for me. I can easily obsess over food and that w o e would make me fixate on the ratios. I need to keep things pretty simple or I get myself in trouble.


Hey Ann,

Thanks I wish I could take credit for the ideas, but I get them from others who also use molasses and have diabetes!

In regards to Schwarz's book 2, is that The Program? I've read it and it seems pretty similiar to the other book just more concise. I've read just about every diet book out there over the years and what it boils down to is doing what is right for you and your metabolism. I think Schwarz is right for some people in that too low carb for too long can damage the metabolism as well as fasting, etc., especially when you have hormonal issues. Of course, everyone is different but I have adrenal insufficiency so her theories make much since as well as what I've read in the Insulin Resistance Book.

At this point I go by how I feel, and this program makes me feel better and less deprived. Some days I, not by choice, I end up doing a lower carb because of not planning, but most days I follow her principles.

Wishing you well!

TJ
Reply With Quote
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 04:28
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

I always get very bored with low carb dieting. Several years ago I bought Schwarzbein's 2nd book but never did a whole lot with it. It seemed complicated.

I recently switched doctors and met my new one a couple of days ago. He had student with him. I told the new doc that my metabolism is a mess, I don't eat a lot of food but I still gain whenever I go beyond a certain amount of carbs per day.

He was filling out the lab test page when the student spoke up. She asked him if he thought I should have my cortisal levels checked. I don't have the results of the lab yet but I have been reading online about eating for adrenal gland health.

I found a good site where you can caculate the amounts of protein, carbs and fat that you should be consuming daily.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.co...cles/foods8.php

I hope I can lose weight while eating up to about 30 to 40 carb grams a day. Do any of you eat enough carbs to satisfy and still lose weight?
Reply With Quote
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 07:26
Merpig's Avatar
Merpig Merpig is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,090
 
Plan: IF/Fung IDM/Potato Hack?
Stats: 375/274.0/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%
Location: NE Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
I found a good site where you can caculate the amounts of protein, carbs and fat that you should be consuming daily.
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.co...cles/foods8.php

Those are the ratios of Dr. Jan Kwasnieski's "Optimal Diet" which has a number of threads (LONG ones) right here under the General category. There certainly are proponents there of this diet who seem to be doing very well on it.
Reply With Quote
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 07:33
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Those are the ratios of Dr. Jan Kwasnieski's "Optimal Diet" which has a number of threads (LONG ones) right here under the General category. There certainly are proponents there of this diet who seem to be doing very well on it.


Thank you. After reading more about it this weekend, I was so grateful that student was there and suggested the test. I'll look for the Optimal Diet here.
Reply With Quote
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 09:24
Anniriki's Avatar
Anniriki Anniriki is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 55
 
Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Minnesota
Default

Hey ShesGG, let us know what your cortisol levels are. Thanks for the website, I'm going to check it out now. And thanks for the unput about Schwartzbein's 2nd book. I never did buy it, and if its too complicated, I don't want it. I don't lose weight at all if I have too many carbs and it also depends on what those carbs are. Due to stomach and intestinal problems rice and boiled potatoes are ok, and I have oat bran occasionally, but I have to avoid the other grains. I've been reading about resistant starch and I think there's something to that theory. Anyway, good luck with the new doctor.
Reply With Quote
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 11:54
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
Hey ShesGG, let us know what your cortisol levels are. Thanks for the website, I'm going to check it out now. And thanks for the unput about Schwartzbein's 2nd book. I never did buy it, and if its too complicated, I don't want it. I don't lose weight at all if I have too many carbs and it also depends on what those carbs are. Due to stomach and intestinal problems rice and boiled potatoes are ok, and I have oat bran occasionally, but I have to avoid the other grains. I've been reading about resistant starch and I think there's something to that theory. Anyway, good luck with the new doctor.


Resistant starch.. I'm going to have to read up on that. I went over there this morning for labs and they said they couldn't check cortisal levels until 8 am. I'm going back on Thursday.

The website makes it seem easy. They have a good section of the site on candida.

Interesting issues there:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/candida/index.php

(No, I'm not Bee)

Last edited by ShesGG : Tue, Sep-29-09 at 12:05.
Reply With Quote
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-09, 08:26
skeeweeaka's Avatar
skeeweeaka skeeweeaka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,154
 
Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Location: Ohio
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
I always get very bored with low carb dieting. Several years ago I bought Schwarzbein's 2nd book but never did a whole lot with it. It seemed complicated.

I recently switched doctors and met my new one a couple of days ago. He had student with him. I told the new doc that my metabolism is a mess, I don't eat a lot of food but I still gain whenever I go beyond a certain amount of carbs per day.

He was filling out the lab test page when the student spoke up. She asked him if he thought I should have my cortisal levels checked. I don't have the results of the lab yet but I have been reading online about eating for adrenal gland health.

I found a good site where you can caculate the amounts of protein, carbs and fat that you should be consuming daily.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.co...cles/foods8.php

I hope I can lose weight while eating up to about 30 to 40 carb grams a day. Do any of you eat enough carbs to satisfy and still lose weight?


Interesting about eating for adrenal health...perhaps that is something that I need to look into...

I know that my cortisol numbers are out of range...not high enough in the a.m. and increase as the evening goes on.... B vitamins, including B12 have seemed to help with that and I'm sleeping better.... I remember a forum where the individuals were consistently getting B12 shots and were losing weight... I've upped my B vitamins this week and am still eating around 50 carbs per day, sometimes less...so we'll see if I see a difference in the scales... It seems that no matter what I do the scales just don't want to move.

TJ
Reply With Quote
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 09:15
RJLupin RJLupin is offline
New Member
Posts: 20
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/203/160 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 17%
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
The majority of people seems to be able to reap the benefits of a low carb diet by removing sugars and decreasing carbs around 100 to 60 grams a day. The same people when attempting a very low carb diet or Atking induction levels get very bad symptoms including chronic hypoglycemia, loss of consciousness, depression, suicide thoughts, aggressivity. They can't be blamed on withdrawal since many were already on low no sugar carb diet and they can't be blamed on adapation since many had to raise their carbs after months of symptoms getting worse on the VLC diet. Even Atkins suggested people to eat more nuts and veggies if they don't feel good at induction, but Laura Donson even suggests to add fruits like berries and apple, even at induction.

I never understood why it happens. I remember reading something by Diana Schwarzbein explaining why too low carb is bad for certain people and why they need more carbohydrates in spite of the ideology according to which we never need carbs. Unfortunately I can find it anymore and lately I have met a lot of people on forums claiming problems (some very serious like the development of manias and panick attack out of the blue on healthy people) since starting a VLC diet.

What Schwarzbein says about these people and their need for more carbs?


This sounds just like me. If I take my carbs too low, I develop horrible depression, anxiety, nausea, and incredible dizziness. I just can't do it. I am actively working on trying to find a carb level that will enable me to lose weight, but isn't so low that I have these problems. It's interesting that you posted this, and that I know I am not the only one who's had problems.
Reply With Quote
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 18:54
skeeweeaka's Avatar
skeeweeaka skeeweeaka is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,154
 
Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Location: Ohio
Default

Recently I came across a posting by a naturopath who was discussing female hormones and what happens when imbalance occurs. He mentioned that when women's estrogen levels drop, there can be too much estrogen still in relation to progesterone resulting in higher testosterone levels. He stated that the higher testosterone levels can be converted to cortisol and one result of that is difficulty in losing weight.

I also have the same problem with the dizziness, depression, etc. if going too low on carbs, but I've noticed since starting the B vitamins that is much better! Apparently, the B vitamins are responsible for helping to produce hormones and for metabolism. I started the supplement regimen that Schwarzbein recommended...so you may want to at least take a look at those that she recommends.
Reply With Quote
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 07:46
amandawald amandawald is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 4,735
 
Plan: GF mod carb/Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/160 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Location: Brit in Germany
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
I also have the same problem with the dizziness, depression, etc. if going too low on carbs, but I've noticed since starting the B vitamins that is much better! Apparently, the B vitamins are responsible for helping to produce hormones and for metabolism. I started the supplement regimen that Schwarzbein recommended...so you may want to at least take a look at those that she recommends.


Thanks for posting this! I am in exactly the same position and have been getting a bit frustrated by the whole thing. I am trying to up my carbs a bit although it kind of goes against the grain (what a bad pun to use - accident...), but if it gets rid of this dizziness and depression, then I certainly will!

I already have quite an impressive range of supplements round here, but the only thing I don't have is a B-vitamin complex. Most of the ones I see have B1, B6 and B12 in them, but not the other Bs. I am trying to work out why this is and am also trying to eat more food with Bs in, such as sprouted seeds to do something about this.

I shall look into getting some B Vitamins in supplement form, but use up the magnesium oxide with extra Bs added first. Maybe that will help.

I keep re-reading what Dr S says about tiredness, depression and so on being a "normal" part of the transition process and to not give up or go back to your old ways, but, like she says, it is not easy to stick to something that actually makes you feel worse!!!

If anybody wants to pop into my journal and cheer me along (and cheer me up), I'll be more than happy to hear from you! I really feel I'm doing the right thing by finally getting caffeine and alcohol out of my life and, seeing as I managed to give up the smokes in Dec 2001 after having smoked for most of the preceding 22 years, pregnancies and breastfeeding times excepted, I am fairly confident that I can get rid of these addictions, too, but it is hard sometimes...

amanda
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.