Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-24-09, 12:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Here's another write-up on his book... I'm intrigued. I might buy it.

Quote:
The real strength of Kessler's book comes in the final chapters, where he draws on the neurobiology and psychology of habit reversal to lay out a programme for breaking the tyranny of food-related stimuli and the runaway feedback loop within the brain's reward pathways. He stresses the importance of making rules that govern what one can eat and when. Such rules, especially when they allow little scope for choice, make certain foods "unavailable" - and this, research shows, can muffle the brain's cravings.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-24-09, 13:13
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good one Nancy!! Thanks!

Quote:
He stresses the importance of making rules that govern what one can eat and when. Such rules, especially when they allow little scope for choice, make certain foods "unavailable" - and this, research shows, can muffle the brain's cravings.

I know that the rules that I've created for myself have enabled me to keep it off...as long as I stick to my rules most of the time.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-24-09, 13:26
Experimenter

BF:

I really knocked out cravings for baked goods when I found out about my gluten issue. I just said to myself "poison" every time I smelled or saw something that was tempting. I don't ever break my conditioning for gluten although I'd probably have a hard time staying away from brownies if they were gluten free.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 16:17

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by t jenks
French fries and gravy will always be like crack for me.

Same here, if you add cheese curds to that ! Ah glorious poutine !

Patrick
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 21:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 323/300/275 Female 5 ft 5in
BF:43/43/25
Progress: 48%

Bought the book yesterday and am almost done with it.Very interesting read and he has some good suggestions on re wiring your brain toward craving control
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 09:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Same here, if you add cheese curds to that ! Ah glorious poutine !

Ah, poutine. I thought it was forever lost to me, but a *small* portion might actually work on the Kwasniewski plan. I may have to think about that when I'm in New Brunswick again this summer.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 22:30

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Yet fat and salt are not the culprits. Kick in the sugar (CARBS) and you have a lethal combo.

My appetite is suppressed very nicely on protein, fats, and salt.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 22:31

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I really knocked out cravings for baked goods when I found out about my gluten issue. I just said to myself "poison" every time I smelled or saw something that was tempting. I don't ever break my conditioning for gluten although I'd probably have a hard time staying away from brownies if they were gluten free.

My neighbor makes gluten free brownies that are to die for, unfortunately. I haven't had any since starting Atkins again...
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 08:26
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnewmom
Yet fat and salt are not the culprits. Kick in the sugar (CARBS) and you have a lethal combo.

Its so interesting just how different each of us is.
Its salt for me that gets my overeating into overdrive!!
Put a bags of chips or popcorn in front of me...and it'll be gone in no time at all....and I'll be licking the salt off my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpig
Ah, poutine. I thought it was forever lost to me, but a *small* portion might actually work on the Kwasniewski plan. I may have to think about that when I'm in New Brunswick again this summer.

*small* portion? I'll be interested in hearing how that goes!!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 09:23

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnewmom

Your signature line right below this quote says, "starting again for the umpteenth time". I think what we're all trying to find is a way to stop falling off the wagon. We're all starting again for the umpteenth time.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 11:58

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%
Default "The End of Overeating"

Interesting article in the Times today about a book titled "The End of Overeating." The second link is to a related blog post - some of the responses are quite interesting.

Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/h....html?th&emc=th
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...page=1#comments
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 12:00
Experimenter

BF:

We've had this posted a couple times in the Media section too. I just got the book, haven't started it yet! I have always hoped I could fix that behavior in myself without having to constantly deny myself things that trigger me to over eat. Here's to hoping!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 12:10

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

Would be so nice to never crave or over eat again!!!!
I really am not sure I will ever be that person...I am like you Nancy LC....keep on hoping!!!

Pass the water...gulp gulp.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 03:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Junk food triggers our ‘bliss point’

From The Sunday Times
June 28, 2009

Quote:
Junk food triggers our ‘bliss point’

Jonathan Leake, Science Editor

JUNK foods such as Snickers bars and ketchup really are irresistible. Manufacturers have created combinations of fat, sugar and salt that are so tasty many people cannot stop eating them even when full, according to America’s former food standards watchdog.

David Kessler, former head of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), has warned that snacks, cereals and ready meals devised by food scientists can act on the reward centres of the brain in the same way as tobacco.

He argues that manufacturers are seeking to trigger a “bliss point” when people eat certain products, leaving them hungry for more.

“It is time to stop blaming individuals for being overweight or obese,” said Kessler. “The real problem is we have created a world where food is always available and where that food is designed to make you want to eat more of it. For millions of people, modern food is simply impossible to resist.”

While at the FDA, Kessler was best known for his attacks on the tobacco industry, which he accused of manipulating cigarettes to make them even more addictive.

In a new book, The End of Overeating, he suggests food manufacturers have achieved a similar result using precise combinations of fat, sugar, salt and texture to make foods “hyper-palatable”.

Kessler cites Heinz tomato ketchup and Starbucks white chocolate mocha Frappuccino as examples of the thousands of modern foods that have been engineered to stimulate feelings of pleasure.

A study carried out by Kessler with researchers at Yale University using functional magnetic resonance imaging techniques, showed that about 50% of obese people and 30% of those who are overweight were prone to so-called “excessive activation”.

“The right combination of tastes triggers a greater number of neurons, getting them to fire more,” said Kessler. “The message to eat becomes stronger, motivating the eater to look for even more food.”

In other research, scientists have used rats to study how different combinations of fat, sugar and salt trigger the release of neurotransmitters in the brain’s pleasure centres.

The most powerful combination involved sucrose (table sugar) mixed with chocolate and alcohol – the same mixture found in desserts such as tiramisu.

Kessler said: “Many of us have what’s called a ‘bliss point’ – the point at which we get the greatest pleasure from sugar, fat or salt.

“As more sugar is added, food becomes more pleasurable until we reach the bliss point, after which it becomes too sweet and the pleasure drops off.” The same thing happens with fat and salt.

At the optimum point, food stimulates many people’s appetites instead of suppressing it, according to Kessler, who ran the FDA from 1990 to 1997 and is now professor of paediatrics, epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of California.

There have been a series of warnings about obesity in Britain. A landmark report by the National Audit Office in 2001 found that 20% of adults were obese – a figure that has since risen to 25% – while a further 38% were overweight.

The findings alarmed Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer, so much that he warned of a “health time bomb” – particularly among children.

In 2007 the government’s science-led Foresight report said: “The wide variety and appeal of modern foods, with their increased palatability and ability to heighten sensory stimulation, drive us to reward ourselves with more food.”

Experts claimed that such evidence showed the need for state intervention. However, when Gordon Brown announced the Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives strategy early last year, he said: “There should be no doubt that maintaining a healthy weight must be the responsibility of individuals first – it is not the role of government to tell people how to live their lives.”

Tim Lang, professor of food policy at City University and a government adviser, said politicians’ obsession with promoting “choice” was damaging public health.

“If I walk to my local park for some exercise,” he said, “I pass more than 30 food outlets before I get there. It’s that combination of availability, advertising and seductive taste that makes modern food so addictive. ”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle6591291.ece
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 04:30

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

To be honest, I had pretty much guessed this by the time I was 13 But it's good to see that there is scientific research being done to prove that the food industry does try to make their food act on our body chemistry for their own interests.

The government SHOULD act, this isn't a question of individual's choice on how to live their life but on the manufacturing of addictive substances that are harmful. No one said they have to stop making tasty treats and candybars, just that there should be a limit to how much sugar, salt and fats go in them so that they can't reach the point where you keep eating past the point where you would normally stop.