Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 11:36

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default JIM!!!

I just wanted to say congratulations on your tremendous loss! AND SO FAST!!! That is simply AMAZING! I haven't read many of your posts so you may have mentioned what you are doing before BUT just wanted to ask if you are on one of the plans that combine low carb and exercise or what? Basically WHAT'S YOUR SECRET??

Wishing you continued success!

Peace and Balance,
Tesia
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 12:07

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Hi Tesia;

I've been blessed, first by being scared 1/2 to death when I stepped on the scale and it said 400 pounds! Then to re-discover Atkins. I am doing a modified Atkins with Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetic Solutions as an adjunct. I’m eating well and have lost very fast. I am now on a plateau and I’m not too concerned, I’m still loosing inches even though the weight is staying about the same. It took me well over 18 years to gain the weight I’m really in no hurry to loose it any faster.

I am now walking, the first 100 pounds was with diet alone, now is the harder part. I don’t go off my plan and I’m committed to eating this way for the rest of my life. I hope this helps. Jim
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:10

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Good for you Jim.
Congrats again - and keep up the great work!!!
You're an inspiration to many who drop by your postings.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 00:39

BF:
Default All of the kindness and complements...

All of the kindness and complements that have been mentioned are so kind and makes me proud to hang out with a bunch of really wonderful people. I've never gotten complements and acknowledgement for loosing anything before.

I lost the weight for all the right reasons, health being paramount among them and I have recovered my health and for that the lion share of the acknowledgement goes to those medical abnormalities in the persons of Drs. Atkins, Bernstein, Schwartzbine and all others, the diet guru's who stood up and told the mainstream medical community that they were wrong and inaccurate.

While LowCarbing isn't for everyone, all I know is that it's working for me, and I pray it is what all of you are looking for too.

I just got back from singing a concert this evening and the other thing we like to do after we sing is eat! Several of the members of the Gospel Quartet Society are in a word… Obese!

One of our lead singers is about 100 lbs over weight and yesterday he had three strokes, this is his second go around three years ago he almost died. Didn’t change a thing about the way he is eating and he’s reaping the results. I’m praying for his recovery of course, but I’m also praying he learns something form this close call.

Another member of the group is about 100 pounds over weight and went to a nutritionist… "to ease into this diabetes thing." I was asked by his wife about what I could have for dinner on Friday after we rehearse, I told her what I could have and I wound up just asking for a salad, here husband then piped in and told me that his nutritionist didn’t like the Atkins plan. I answered him bluntly that of course she doesn’t like the Atkins Way of Eating, because then YOU don’t need them! There was stunned silence and I just had to add; " and Denny, I’ll just be she’s bigger than either you or I am too." He hung his head and acknowledged that was so. I guess my little aphorism: " You either have what you want out of life, or you have all the reasons why you don’t" holds true, again.

Another person who then chimed in and added, "well Atkins doesn’t work for everyone!", with that I agreed with him and added that while I’ve tried everything from Weight Watchers to Jenny Craig in the past with varying degrees of success, this way of eating is working for me. While I love them all dearly, I really hopped they found something that worked for them as Atkins has worked for me. It’s just so damned hard to argue successfully with success.

When you are succeeding at anything, not just with loosing weight, there are folks who say they are in your corner 100% until you make real progress then they seem to think it is there job to debunk your success, somehow, like it not true or not happening, gee, isn’t that called... "being in denial", and that’s not a river in Egypt!

Well, I’ve rambled for a while, pontificated and gave a stab at being profound. I really need to get to bed, good night, God Bless and be well.

I am in great company, thanks for having me be part of it.

Last edited by Jimsgems : Wed, May-01-02 at 00:48.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 07:00
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default If a stroke or two doesn't wake a person up...

I'm sorry about your friends health problems. Hopefully your example will strengthen and inspire him to get in control! But if a stroke or 2 or 3 doesn't wake him up...I'm not sure what will.

I started Atkins for the "Temporary" quick results thing. My plan was to do Atkins, then switch to "Sugar Busters" or "The Zone." But I've lost a little over 20 pounds now. My weightloss is MUCH slower (only 1.87 lbs/week in fitday). But I'm feeling so good.

I use to have VERY VERY painful foot problems. (Did I say VERY painful!!! I mean I almost couldn't walk sometimes in the morning.) Guess what? The pain has magically disappeared. I know the 20+ lb weightloss didn't do that because my feet hurt when I weighed 135 POUNDS and was much younger (23 years old)! Now after a few weeks on the plan the pain is gone.

I've had my blood levels checked and all is well. They've always been normal and they still are. So my point is this...I could totally see this being a WOL for me too. I didn't realize I would be sold on the Atkins idea in just 7 weeks, but hey....I think I am.

Who can complain when you are eating so good and losing weight too...AND FEELING BETTER!

I pray for the best with your friend! Keep up the great example.

Last edited by In_Control : Wed, May-01-02 at 07:06.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 08:38

BF:

Yes - lo-carb often doesn't feel like a diet - (die ette) that's what my dietitian say she agrees with the plan (as a WOL) and is trying to change the views of other nutritionalists her in Oz and overseas.

The tide is beginning to change.

Jimsgems - i can't believe your singing mates (or their spouses)are not all over you to tell them how to lose weight too - maybe it will come soon.

It's is a pity we don't have sound postings - I'd love to hear an angel - what's your preference in music?? Have you noticed anydifference in your voice since losing weight????

Keep up the great work - you are as inspiration.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 11:40

BF:
Default Yes Dear One...

Wendye(and others...);

You said it; "...I can't believe your singing mates (or their spouses)are not all over you to tell them how to lose weight too - maybe it will come soon." It's interesting at first they were asking what I was doing when I told them, they the "Atkins Attitudes" came up and out, the first on is "That diet will kill you!", my answer to that was... "that may be so, we are all gonna die sometime and at least I won't be fat when I die!" I know bad attitude, I'm getting better.

I found your question about voice quality interesting, we were talking about that too last night. My voice is much stronger and sounding easier (less effort and better breath control), it is even richer sounding I'm told. The common sound in Southern Gospel Music (Like the Statler Bros., the Oakwood Boys, etc.) I sing bass and it's real easy to not have aliveness and sound drudge and while I can sing very low it also is very lyrical and "sweet" sounding (Like Tennessee Earnie Ford so, I'm told.) I would like to set up a MP-3 part to my site so, music can be down loaded or at least heard. Well maybe someday. It would be really interesting to start a recording career at 55, well maybe another time.

Good going on the feeling good (thats the good news), and 20 pounds isn't bad either! Keep up the good work. Be well. Jim
  #53   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 17:53

BF:

Quote:
I told them, they the "Atkins Attitudes" came up and out, the first on is "That diet will kill you!",

Hey man!!

That diet won't kill you but not being on it might !!!! I guess the longer you are on this WOE the longer the testiment to your buddies that it IS healthy - they just need a shift (or shove ) inthe right direction.

I'm sure your shrinking figure will do the trick.

Keep up the good work and the singing (55's not old so get inther!!) - looking forward to 'hearing' you when the time comes.

By for now...