Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 19:51
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default What is the Average Pounds lost Per Week???

This question is for those that have been LCing for some time now.

I'm just curious what the average number of Pounds lost per week are for someone who is strictly following the LC way?

I know everyone is different, but I just hope to get an indication of what I can expect.

Thanks ahead of time for the info!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 21:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default average loss, if there is such an animal

10% during Induction and 5% each month thereafter - assuming of course a perfectly normal and average fat loss journey (another rare animal)

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

I lost 17lbs the first month and have levelled out at around 4 lbs a month for the last 2 or 3 (7 months LCing)

Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:25
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I am quite sure I followed Atkins by the book and I'm in my 5th week of LCing.

I lost 11 lbs during induction and ZERO lbs. since then. (i bounced around between 171 and 173 for those weeks) I think I'm starting to lose again though....maybe to 1/2 to 1 lb. a week, after I increased my exercise to a vigorous 30 mins a day on a cycle two weeks ago and I think that's helped. Stay tuned.

PS - I'm 43 years old.... that makes a difference too.

You'll find there really is no "average".
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 15:49
Contributing Member

BF:

Thanks for the info. Any others would be appreciated as well. I just don't want to set my goals too high. My profile says 135, but I will have several short range goals before that.

I lost 14 lbs on induction. And I just began week three 4 days ago, I've lost 3 more pounds. So my total weight loss is 17 pounds. I've read many posts and profiles and I truly can see that there is a different rate of weight loss for each of us. But I INTEND to STRICTLY adhere to the Atkins diet and allow myself no more than 15 - 20 carbs/day until May 12th - - - my first goal. And that's why I ask the question. I may have set my 1st goal too high.

Thanks again for the info.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 16:48
Starting Over!

Well, I think that the general concensus would be that the more weight you have to lose, the faster it will come off.....in general. I'll bet yours will come off at about 1-2 lbs./wk. The thing you have to be aware of is that you may stall out a little bit in a week or two while your body makes some adjustments to this new way of eating and the shift in metabolic processes. When/if that happens, don't fall into the trap of starting to eat less calories...in fact, at that point you want to make SURE you're eating at LEAST 10x your body weight in calories (for me that would be 1700+) so that you continue to let your body know that you're not starving it and it's okay to keep burning fat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 19:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by In_Control
But I INTEND to STRICTLY adhere to the Atkins diet and allow myself no more than 15 - 20 carbs/day until May 12th

Confused, your copy of DANDR must be missing a few chapters If you're going to follow the plan to the letter and 'by the book' then after your first two weeks of Induction you should be moving on to OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss). There are reasons for increasing carbs - as the Dr. explains. Keeping carbs too low for too long doesn't necessarily make one lose fat any faster - it can slow things down for many of us. Increasing carbs with more veggies and high fiber fruits and nuts makes menus more interesting and varried and keeps us from getting bored - and consequently cheating. Something to think about.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 19:37
Contributing Member

BF:

I think in the book he says that if you are comfortable with the lower #carbs you can continue induction for 6 weeks. And I'm having no trouble (...so far) with the lower number of carbs.

I want to lose as much as I can at first (until May 12th). I have read a lot about stalling and plateaus, so I'm ready to up the carbs when I stall out ... it seems like the best thing you can do to keep things going. I'm even thinking, if I hit a 1 - 2 week stall I will go on a high carb, low fat thing for 2 - 3 days, as he says that sometimes gets things going again as well.

I have so much time ahead of me, (1 to 2 years probably) I figure I can try all kinds of stragegies. But I truly hope to lose as much as possible by May 12th!

Nat I can tell from you many posts that you know your stuff and I really appreciate your help. I am just so excited to have the success that I've had so far...I'm excited to keep it going!!! You too Terri!!!! Thanks so much.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 22:45

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

What's so special about May 12? What happens if you don't make a certain number of pounds by then? It's fine to have goals and target dates - heaven know a glance at my journal will show them up like crazy - but you also have to have them in the right perspective. They are almost always artificial and focussing on them too much can be detrimental in the long run - sometimes even if you make them.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 08:33
Contributing Member

BF:

May 12th represents 8 weeks in my new WOL, mother's day, and my baby girls first day in nursery at church. I want to take a picture of her with her teachers, and ME...I know I will not be a skinny me by May 12th, but hopefully I can be a better me. When she looks back at the picture, she will know her mom was at the beginning of a journey that will take me through the rest of my life. That's the best I can give her (as far as weight and a healthy WOL goes).

Having struggled with weight my entire life, I so much don't want my kids to do the same. In fact, I just want them to be so accustomed to healthy eating, that they don't have to worry about weight at all. But no matter how much I serve the right portions of veggies, fruit, protein, etc.... If I am overweight...it just doesn't send the healthy message.

Also, we will be trying for child #3 in July. Gosh, it was so hard carrying both of my kids! I have to get down to a reasonable weight first. In fact, our plans may be put off for a while if I don't. I want to be at least 210. That's 27 pounds more to go. So we may be trying in August or September. We'll have to see.

If I don't make the May 12th goal, that's okay. I will know that I've done everything in my power to reach it. One of my favorite sayings is"

"You must reach for the impossible to make the possible happen!"

Thanks again for the input everyone!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 23:45

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default In my case...

For the first 85 day's I lost 85 pounds! Now this is where things get a little dicey I've been in TWOE for 5 months, so I've averaged 22.6 pounds per month. My current weight loss is 113 pounds. I have varied very little from the plan, I'm up to between 40 and 50 grams of carbs a day and I'm still loosing and I'm feeling better than I have in years.

How long did it take you to gain the weight? In my case 18 years! It may well take me 18 months to loose to the weight I want. It's OK to take some time loosing it, there are dangers if you go too fast and one of them is, you'll gain it back very quickly! Take your time and be kinder to yourself, your body deserves that! Besides, men tend to loose weight faster than women, I cannot explain why, it's just so.

Be well.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:28

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I think Nat's percentages sound right. I'm happy if I lose 5 lbs. a month. It seems like I lost alot faster when I first started this WOL. I think the main thing is to continue doing what you know to do. It takes alot of perserverance to keep going when there's so much to lose. But what is the alternative? Gaining weight! I continue on and know that slow loss is permenant loss.

I think it's good to have goals, but not if it makes one discouraged when reality is different than your goals. I was hoping to have lost 100 lbs. by my year mark. I will probably be shy of that...but not too far away. It's just one day at a time. And it is SO DAILY! Each day is a new opportunity to make good choices and know that it makes a difference. Look into the journals of some of the folks that have been doing this for a long while. It's good to see how that journey unfolded, and the things they struggled with and overcome. Some folks plateau and then work thru that and push on. We all learn from each other. Victoria

PS. Just a word of advice...measure yourself with a tape measurer and record. So no matter what the scale says, you can see progress in lost inches. Sometimes one loses inches when the scale stays still.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:47
Starting Over!

EXCELLENT VICTORIA!! That says it all ...well done!

You WILL reach your goal eventually, no question about that. Isn't THAT a great feeling?!?

Best of luck to you .... keep it up!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post My weight loss...

I didn't lose as much as many others during Induction...

...but I've been cruising along at about 3 pounds per week since. I also added back in some carbs since Induction levels, but very slowly.

Good luck with your new WOE and reaching your goal!

Donald
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 18:33
Contributing Member

BF:

Thanks DWRolfe! I think my weight loss each week is about 2.5. I just hope that continues, but 3 would be absolutely GREAT! I've been trying to increase my carbs, but for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding the right combination. I'm still averaging about 18 - 20 / day. I'm kinda scared to do fruit because I'm afraid my appetite will go WILD! I LOVE fruit.

I've read many of your posts and I'm very inspired by your success! I'm also learning from your expertise. Thanks for the info.