Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 09:03

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...5d3ec618ffa2f07

Quote:
Conclusion

Short-term treatment with extended-release niacin causes a pronounced increase in adiponectin but fails to improve atheroprotective functions attributed to adiponectin, such as insulin sensitivity, anti-inflammation and endothelial function.

Humm, I'm not sure what that means.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 11:34

BF:

I was able to find: grape seed and skin extract 50mg, vitamin K2 100mcg and Niacin 500mg.

My supplement list is starting to look like a meal all by itself!

I'm supposed to take 1000mcg of K2, but this stuff is really expensive !! 20 CAN$ for 60 100mcg pills. I won't be taking 10 per day for sure! I'll have 2 per day and hope it makes a difference.

I decided to cut the Niacin pill in two, so that I can start with 250 mg per day. I'm glad I did ! I am someone who can, for no reasons, easily flush and my reaction to 250mg was pretty intense!!! But after 10 minutes it just started to go away. I will definitely take it at night from now on.

Patrick
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 12:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've heard that being well hydrated helps with the niacin flush, taking aspirin supposedly does too.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 15:48

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor

I will also get grape seed extract. And Resveratrol if I can find it.

Patrick

Long-Term Study of Middle-Aged Mice Shows Resveratrol Improves Health and Mimics Some Benefits of Dietary Restriction

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., -- Sirtris, a GlaxoSmithKline company focused on discovering and developing small molecule drugs to treat diseases of aging such as Type 2 Diabetes, is included among a research team that reported in today’s online edition of Cell Metabolism that mice treated at middle-age to the end-of-life with resveratrol showed an overall health improvement, including improved bone health, a reduction in cataracts and cardiovascular dysfunction, and improved balance and motor coordination.

“In this study, we wanted to determine whether or not resveratrol, which imparts many of the same health benefits as caloric restriction in mice, does so by inducing a physiology similar to dietary restriction,” says study co-author David Sinclair, Ph.D., a Sirtris co-founder and Harvard Medical School Associate Professor of Pathology. “The data show that resveratrol does induce many similar pathways,” says Sinclair, who is co-chair of Sirtris’ Scientific Advisory Board. The study was co-led by Rafael de Cabo, Ph.D. at the National Institute on Aging and David Sinclair.

http://www.sirtrispharma.com/press/2008-070308.html

Bo
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 15:57

BF:

Thank you Bo,

I was unable to find any Resveratrol here. I will probably have to order online.

Patrick
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 15:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've heard that being well hydrated helps with the niacin flush, taking aspirin supposedly does too.

Thank you Nancy. I've read that too.

Patrick
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 17:17

BF:

My new mixture looks more like this. 1 : 1.8 : 0.2 ... 84g P, 151g F and 16g C. about 1800 calories per day.

So far so good. I'm not hungry at all and I feel warm. Maybe the Niacin helps a little there.

Patrick
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 17:25

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
My new mixture looks more like this. 1 : 1.8 : 0.2 ... 84g P, 151g F and 16g C. about 1800 calories per day.

So far so good. I'm not hungry at all and I feel warm. Maybe the Niacin helps a little there.

Patrick

Good, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I also have NO idea why one feels so wonderful on a complete water fast, but not so on a severely restricted VL calorie diet.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 17:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Good, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I also have NO idea why one feels so wonderful on a complete water fast, but not so on a severely restricted VL calorie diet.

Yeah. That truly intrigues me. It maybe related to the fact that on water fast, your body is not using its energy to digest food and it is also supposedly healing itself.

Patrick
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 05:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

When you eat carbohydrate, your metabolism switches over to glucose for a lot of your energy needs. Dr Mike says the same is true of protein, he says if you eat more of it than you need, any extra is burned up for energy, and is used for gluconeogenesis only to the extent that it is needed. I'm sure he's talking generally here, and not about people with more specific metabolic disorders.
Adiponectin is important for switching from a fed to a fasted state. I think mostly what causes the "fed" state is the carbohydrate eaten. But that what keeps you in the fed state longer than you should be is the visceral and the liver fat. If your free fatty acid levels in the liver go too high, carbohydrate is needed to produce glycerol to produce triglycerides. So glycogen needs to be released from storage; so gluconeogenesis needs to occur to replenish glycogen.
Choline is needed to transport fat.

A Choline-Deficient Diet Exacerbates Fatty Liver but Attenuates Insulin Resistance and Glucose Intolerance in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet

The fat in fatty liver and visceral fat has to break down to free fatty acids to be burned. Once the free fatty acids hit the liver, gluconeogenesis is spurred. Choline is needed for this.

Nicotinic acid (the type recommended) worsens blood sugar. It's alternate form, nicotinamide, does the opposite, and is recommended for fighting diabetes sometimes. Not so fast there. Looking to retrieve that first study I came across this;

In choline deficient rats, nicotinamide supplements further increased liver lipid concentration.

Short term, things that loosen up visceral and liver fat, increasing free fatty acids, may worsen blood sugar control, is my guess. Combined with a diet and exercise program that discourages the formation of visceral fat and fatty liver, in the longer term I bet it would improve things, instead.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 10:49

BF:

There is only 100 mg of Choline in my B Complex. That might not be enough.

Patrick
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 10:58

BF:

Thanks to Nancy on the Dr K. forum. I have a new recipe for my experiment which is much tastier.

---
1 cup peanut butter
12 oz cream cheese
1 cup of cream
4 scoop of vanilla whey & egg protein powder
Splenda to taste

Use a mixer and beat the cream cheese until it is soft. Add the peanut butter and continue to mix well. Add in the wet ingredients slowly. You might need to add more. The mix should be light and easily spreadable.

Refrigerate (or freeze) until it gets firm. You'll have to thaw a bit if you entirely freeze it.
---

The recipe gives me two days of food. Per day it's 40g net carbs, 90g protein, 160g fat and 1890 calories (ratios 1 : 1.78 : 0.45).

Patrick
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 10:53

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Hi Patrick,

I'm glad to hear you stopped the no-fat craziness. I hope you're feeling better!

You might not need to go searching for K2 - you're eating a lot of butter, right? Butter has K2! There's a wide variation in how much, though. The color of the butter (if there are no colors added) is a good indicator - the darker the yellow, the more carotenes, and the amount of carotenes corresponds to the amount of K2. The same is true of egg yolks.

This page has a chart of K2-containing foods:

http://westonaprice.org/basicnutrit...in-k2.html#fig4

Instead of spending your bucks on expensive K2 supplements, you could get a great value by finding some grass-fed butter. Spring and fall are the best times for K2, so the sooner you find it, the better!

This is what I use:

http://www.purityfarms.com/

Hey, wait a minute! You're eating whey protein, carbs, and butter, right? Why not just drink cream? If it's too much lactose, use sour cream instead, or make your own by putting heavy cream in a yogurt maker. [edit] - I see you're already doing that. Sorry, I got behind!

Last edited by capmikee : Mon, Apr-27-09 at 11:15.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 10:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Glad you like the peanut butter chiffon. The whey protein is Valtor's own addition. I used Da Vinci vanilla SF syrup and a little extra vanilla and a bit of liquid splenda.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 14:52

BF:

Sorry Nancy, I should have mentioned that I was using your recipe as a base only. I will tweak it a lot to test the Dr K. ratios. There are a lot of conflicting info being thrown around in the Dr K. threads. I figured that I would find the real ratios that produces the biggest weight loss (at least for me). That's why I started with no fat at all.

Patrick