Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 18:36

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Background information. APN (adiponectin), an adipocyte-derived cytokine highly presented in serum, which exerts antidiabetic, anti-atherosclerotic and cardioprotective actions, also enhances CFB (cardiac fibroblast) proliferation and protects against cardiac fibrosis. STAT3 (signal transducer and activator of transcription 3), a major mediator in the gp130/JAK2 (Janus kinase 2)/STATs signalling pathway, plays a critical role in cardioprotective events. Almost two-thirds of total myocardial cells are CFBs; however, whether APN regulates STAT3 signalling pathway has not been clarified yet in CFBs. In the present study, we investigated the effect of recombinant globular APN on the STAT3 activity in adult mouse CFBs and explored the possible signalling transduction mechanism.

Results. In cultured CFBs, APN (10 μg/ml) can significantly induce delayed STAT3 Tyr705 phosphorylation time-dependently, up to 60 min, and mediate STAT3 translocation from cytoplasm to nucleus. Transfection of siRNA (small interfering RNA) specific for AdipoR1 (APN receptor 1), but not AdipoR2, obviously inhibited APN-induced STAT3 Tyr705 phosphorylation, indicating that AdipoR1, not AdipoR2, is required for STAT3 phosphorylation. Both inhibition of gp130 by anti-gp130 neutralizing antibody and JAK2 by AG490 (a specific inhibitor for JAK2) can inhibit APN-induced STAT3 phosphorylation and STAT3 transcription activity detected using 2×pAPRE-Luc (APRE reporter) assay. Furthermore, we found that the IL (interleukin)-6 level in culture medium was significantly increased after stimulation with APN and the IL-6 mRNA level was also markedly increased in CFBs, which can be reversed by siRNA for AdipoR1, but not for AdipoR2, and that anti-IL-6 neutralizing antibody can significantly inhibit APN-induced STAT3 Tyr705 phosphorylation.

Conclusions. APN induces IL-6 production mediated by AdipoR1, not AdipoR2, in adult mouse CFBs, which leads to the stimulation of the gp130/JAK signalling pathway, and as a result causes STAT3 activation.
http://www.biolcell.org/boc/101/boc1010263.htm

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 18:38

BF:

Quote:
The increase in adiponectin levels in obese patients with untreated dyslipidemia and its mRNA expression in adipose tissue of obese animals are one of the most interesting consequences of rimonabant treatment. Thus, part of rimonabant's metabolic effects could be related to an enhancement of adiponectin secretion and its consequence on the modulation of insulin action, as well as energy homeostasis. The present study investigated the effects of rimonabant in adiponectin knockout mice (Ad–/–) exposed to diet-induced obesity conditions. Six-week-old Ad–/– male mice and their wild-type littermate controls (Ad+/+) were fed a high-fat diet for 7 mo. During the last month, animals were administered daily either with vehicle or rimonabant by mouth (10 mg/kg). High-fat feeding induced weight gain by about 130% in both wild-type and Ad–/– mice. Obesity was associated with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance. Treatment with rimonabant led to a significant and similar decrease in body weight in both Ad+/+ and Ad–/– mice compared with vehicle-treated animals. In addition, rimonabant significantly improved insulin sensitivity in Ad+/+ mice compared with Ad+/+ vehicle-treated mice by decreasing hepatic glucose production and increasing glucose utilization index in both visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue. In contrast, rimonabant failed to improve insulin sensitivity in Ad–/– mice, despite the loss in body weight. Rimonabant's effect on body weight appeared independent of the adiponectin pathway, whereas adiponectin seems required to mediate rimonabant-induced improvement of insulin sensitivity in rodents.
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/c...ract/296/4/R929

Patrick
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 19:10

BF:
Default Fat-generated hormone drives energetic capacity of muscle

Fat-generated hormone drives energetic capacity of muscle.

Quote:
The researchers report evidence in people and mice, linking low adiponectin levels to insulin resistance and reductions in the number of "cellular power plants" called mitochondria in skeletal muscle. The findings suggest that therapies designed to boost the adiponectin signal might prove beneficial for the treatment of insulin resistance and diabetes, they said.

"We have discovered a skeletal muscle pathway by which adiponectin increases mitochondrial number and function and exerts antidiabetic effects," said lead author Anthony Civitarese from Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
http://news.bio-medicine.org/biolog...-muscle-6072-1/

Patrick
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 19:16

BF:

Quote:
Increasing evidence suggests that adipocyte function is altered in the polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) as a result of androgen excess, providing an explanation for its frequent association with abdominal adiposity and insulin resistance. We here compared the response of serum adiponectin and leptin levels to the amelioration of androgen excess by means of treatment with an antiandrogenic oral contraceptive pill, as compared with the response to insulin sensitization with metformin. Thirty-four women presenting with PCOS were randomized to treatment with an oral contraceptive containing 35 microg ethinyl-estradiol plus 2 mg cyproterone acetate (Diane35 Diario) or with metformin (850 mg twice daily). Serum adiponectin and leptin levels were evaluated at baseline and after 12 and 24 weeks of treatment. In obese PCOS women, treatment with Diane35 Diario resulted in an increase in serum adiponectin levels and in the adiponectin/leptin ratio, in parallel with a marked decrease in serum androgen concentrations, whereas no statistically significant changes were observed during treatment with metformin. On the contrary, leptin concentrations did not show any statistically significant change during the study with any of the drugs studied here. In summary, our present results might suggest a direct inhibitory effect of androgen excess on adiponectin secretion by adipocytes in obese PCOS women, supporting the hypothesis that androgen excess contributes to adipocyte dysfunction in these women.
http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v...by2008491a.html

Patrick
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 19:20

BF:

If there ever is a miracle weight loss pill, Adiponectin might just be it... And once you reach you normal weight, you will produce enough Adiponectin by yourself and won't need the pill anymore !

How come we don't already have something on human trial ???

Patrick
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 20:20

BF:

Quote:
Anyone eard of integra lean? Any idea what it does and does it help cortisol?
---
I've been trying it. It has an effect on adiponectin.

Life Extension says it may not work with low-carb diets, but it seems to be helping me. I started it 3 months ago when I had hit a plateau (after losing 20 lbs.). I do think it helped me move back off that plateau. I just returned to a pretty steady pound-a-week weight loss; not the 8-10 lbs/month touted.

It's easy to take - just one capsule twice a day, I didn't notice any side effects.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=392330

Patrick
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 20:22

BF:

Sorry BoBoGuy, I just saw your thread...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=388524

Patrick
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 20:32

BF:

http://lowcarbconfidential.com/2009...it-means-to-me/

Quote:
I do recommend that if you didn’t get the letter that you read the entire thing, but here’s a really short summary of what I took away from it after a quick read:

* William Falloon, the author of the original article in LEF, used the product on himself and got amazing results, in his estimation. This is why his article was so breathless in it’s praise.
* The product takes at least a month for the onset of action, so carping about it prior to that is unfair - folks should stay on it for the full 10 weeks.
* The product is NOT for people on low carb diets, since it works by altering carbohydrate metabolism. It’s described as working optimally for high-carbohydrate diets low in saturated fat.
* Anyone who is is not satisfied can get a full refund by calling 1-800-544-4440.

I guess it's not for us.

Patrick
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:00

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Apparently, there's LOTS of news about it, Patrick - check out this news search which retrieved links to around 20 articles:

http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ne...iponectin%0D%0A

AND... lots of blogs mention adiponectin...

http://blogsearch.google.com/blogse...1&q=adiponectin

Last edited by lil' annie : Thu, Apr-23-09 at 21:07.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:03

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor

Not necessarily. Afterall, I won't be surprised if some time in the future that you try a ZER0-fructose regimen, with no forays into wheat, fructans or corn syrup solids.

This supplement might be VERY helpful with starchy carbs, right?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Humm, that would mean I should be using 45g of carbs. Where did you get these ratios?

From a model created over 30 years ago. Ignore. JK's latest given ratios for the overweight were written by him four years ago and are on the Kwasniewski thread. They are unambiguous: 1: 2.5: .8 -- until such time as you reach 'normal' weight.

Naturally, any plan needs to be made to work for you. If you are diabetic, for instance and not losing weight using this formula, according to Dr. Bernstein, further reductions in protein need to be made until you do begin to lose weight on a steady basis. So far those, the preponderance of K Thread posters (almost all overweight, like me) are losing just fine on the formula above.

Lisa
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

low carb, low fat, mediterranean diets

In this study, low carbers had a greater increase in adiponectin than low fatters, as well as a greater increase in hdl cholesterol, lowering triglycerides, weight loss. If adiponectin encourages loss of visceral fat, remember that a low carb diet associates with a loss of visceral fat as well. And exercise has been shown to decrease visceral fat also.

Quote:
Under low-fat diet, adiponectin signaling pathway components exhibited circadian rhythmicity. However, fasting and HF diet altered this circadian expression; fasting resulted in a phase advance, and HF diet caused a phase delay.

The low glycemic craze encouraged people to mix carbs with fat; sugar would then be released into the bloodstream at a slower pace. It also meant that blood sugar would be elevated for a longer time, even though peak blood sugar might be a lower number. I have a book called the Glycemic Index diet written by some of the Australian researchers who collected a lot of the data on the glycemic index of various foods. In the book, the authors actually boast about the increased length of time over which blood sugar could be raised above baseline using the methods of their diet.

Here's a proposal; adiponectin is important in going from the fed state to the fasted state. Make that going from the carb-fed state to the fasted state. If fat, mixed with carb, prolongs the carb-fed state--then adiponectin signalling should be delayed when eating a high-fat diet of lard or corn oil or whatever poured over mouse-chow.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 05:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
...This supplement might be VERY helpful with starchy carbs, right?

Yeah, I might try it at some point.

Patrick
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 05:55

BF:

Thank you Lisa. When I'm done with the first two weeks, I will start adding 50g of fat (butter) per day to my mix and see if that affects my weight loss. I will do this until I reach the 2.5 fat ratio.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Fri, Apr-24-09 at 06:34. Reason: spelling
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 06:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
...Here's a proposal; adiponectin is important in going from the fed state to the fasted state. Make that going from the carb-fed state to the fasted state. If fat, mixed with carb, prolongs the carb-fed state--then adiponectin signalling should be delayed when eating a high-fat diet of lard or corn oil or whatever poured over mouse-chow.

Very interesting stuff Teaser.

What I find crucial in all this is that when someone manages to go over an unknown threshold of fat accumulation, then their fat cells starts producing less Adiponectin and they're stock in a vicious loop until they reach a new weight where the fat stores reaches a new equilibrium again through other means.

So in theory once someone loses weight and reaches its real normal weight, their Adiponectin levels will be properly regulated again and they won't need to worry about their weight again. Unless they start doing what deregulated their body in the first place and manages to gain pass the point of no return.

There exist the possibility that, if you were obese, you might have to physically remove the excess of empty fat cells in order to get the proper Adiponectin effect. In this case, someone would have to go through surgery. Either liposuction, if you were not too overweight, or even abdominoplasty.

It's all very fascinating and fits so well with Pennington's hypothesis.

Patrick