Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/219/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Not cheap, but cheaper

The typical low-carb bread ingredients ARE expensive, but if you're willing to buy in bulk, you can get them at a substantial discount.

Check out http://www.bobsredmill.com

I typically pay ~$3/lb for things like Bob'd Red Mill flax meal, soy flour, etc at my local Albertsons. I can get the same thing directly from http://www.bobsredmill.com for less than $1/lb if I buy 25 - 35 lbs at a time. If you bake a lot of low-carb bread, it's worth it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 00:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

The creamy cheesy cauliflower soup recipe in the soup section is to die for and very cheap... I've found it gets really thick and I prefer a thinner soup so I add more water to the soup - stretches it out for longer.... and veggie soup is pretty reasonable if those veggies are in season...

The cheeseburger quiche is also very economical, as is a plain quiche using whatever veggies are in season...

I buy in bulk - tins of tomatoes, cream cheese, butter and freeze them in 250g (8oz) portions (the cheese and butter that is not the tomatoes )..... and I buy meat when it is reduced by checking out all the junk mail I get and comparing which supermarket in the immediate area has the best deals - when I saw Coles had bacon for $5 AUS a kilo I bought 6 kgs of it and froze the rest....

by bulking up on inseason veggies its easy to make meals stretch

Fiona
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 159/153/120
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Re: I found this in my stash of Useful Bits!

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
...and will ALL credit to the now quite famous Dana Carpender, here's the link to LowCarb on a Budget (and here's is the full text of her newsletter article, just in case the link bites it so I hope all this FITS!):

=====
Low Carb On a Budget : Dana Carpender : LowCarbZine
http://www.holdthetoast.com/archive/020116.html

........................................................................ ............

(For those of you in the Southern Indiana area, Sahara Mart also carries a terrific selection of low carb specialty stuff. It's at the corner of 2nd and Walnut, here in Bloomington.) The point here is to take advantage of the various stores around you to find the lowest prices on the things you use regularly.

For approximately a zillion ideas on how to save money, plus a welcome attitude adjustment regarding our consumer culture, I highly recommend The Complete Tightwad Gazette, by Amy Dacyczyn: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...owcarbohysoluti . Unbelievably useful, practical, and fun to read. My only caution: Dacyczyn advocates cutting your food budget by eating lots of "healthy" low fat carbs in place of meat. 'Nuff said. But the rest of this book is dynamite.

=====

I just HAD to smile. I was reading and reading this article and totally "getting it" and thinking "these prices and such sounds like around HERE" IT IS Bloomington is where I do most of my shopping. Thats just too funny.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 19:41

Plan: Atkins / Isagenix/ IF
Stats: 282.5/210/160 Female 5'7
BF:71%/31.66%/20%
Progress: 59%

One of my favorite is breadless fried chicken. It is a Cuban recipe I got from my friends' mom.

Take dark meat chicken with bone in and skin on and marinate for 20-30 minutes in:
red whine vinegar (enough to cover)
garlic
pepper
salt
paprika (LOTS)
fresh or whole dried oregano (LOTS)

Heat a frying pan with enough canola oil to fry one side of the chicken at a time.

place chicken in pan and let brown on both sides until REALLY crispy. I find it's about 20min a side.

I can't stress enough how important good oregano is for this dish. The leaves make a crust of sorts. I have used fresh, dried, and generic powdered. The dried is fine, but the powdered just doesn't do it!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:42

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

this diet is definately for those of us who like to cook. If you can cook, there are endless possibilities! It's so much fun, and it's really not that expensive.

If you don't care to cook, it has the potential of being quite pricey. There isn't much prepackaged food for those of us on low-carb diets. At SuperWalMart I was pleasantly surprised to find prepackaged frozen low carb entrees! Only 5 grams effective carbs!!!!!!!!!! I was sick this last week (rash... yuck) and those came in really handy. It had one with chicken, zuchinni and yellow squash in a creamy tomato sauce, and the other one was a very garlicy beef with brocolli. It was rather yummy.

they were expensive though. It's something that I would only buy if I was too sick to cook, or didn't feel like cooking. The entrees were about three bucks a pop.

Cabbage is really good and cheap. Eggs are good and cheap. Try mixing a tablespoon of whipping cream instead of water or milk for the FLUFFIEST omlettes in the world!!!!!!!

Sometimes grocery stores will have chickens that they roast and sell hot in lined bags. These chickens are soooo delicious, and make a good supper. When you have left overs, pull the meat from the bones, and simmer with some mexican spices and water until the meat is stringy! Taco salads! Low carb tacos with extra lettuce!!! The rotisserie chickens make great left over sandwiches too. Spread a little pesto on some chicken, and wrap in a slice of provolone cheese! Our local Fareway store sells these chickens for three bucks! It's like having thanksgiving (and the leftovers too)

I think that our grocery bill has gone down.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: Pesto Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I also found some good ideas on a low carb site.
For those mornings you want something sweet,
Use cinnamin, Splenda and a dab of sour cream or
cream cheese for a filling in an omelette.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 14:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

The bagged Tyson's chicken breasts (when on sale) work really well for us... they last for a while and aren't all frozen together so you can thaw out one at a time. And you can thaw them in a marinade in a ziploc bag...

Also, fairly cheap is cabbage and bacon fried up together. Very yummy, indeed.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I LOVE fried bacon and cabbage....and sometimes throw in some chopped onion!!

Yum...

Paris
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 16:29

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

Corned Beef and Cabbage... or polish sausage and cabbage! mmmmm mmmm mmmm! One of my FAVORITE meals!!!

I LOVE CABBAGE!!!!

It's the best, and right now cabbage is only about 49 cents a pound.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:23

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 215//165 Female 5'11"
BF:30%/30%/22%
Progress:

How about Cabbage (shredded) that you put chopped onions in and country style pork ribs ( that are really cheap here in prok country), season with a little salt & pepper and cover and roast for 2-3 hours at 325F. Absolutley wonderful and the meat is sooooo tender.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Take any cut of pork, put it in a slowcooker with some sauerkraut and caraway seeds...cook on low for 8 to 10 hours depending on the cut and size of the meat.

Last edited by Parisfox : Thu, Oct-09-03 at 20:36.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 20:59

Plan: Custom/Modified plan...25-40 carbs per day - it's working!!
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quick, cheap, and easy:

Chicken leg quarters in a crock pot with some spices thrown in, cook for a couple hours, they are amazingly great. Lots of meat on there, too. These were .39 cents a POUND once, and I bought about 12 of them. Yes, it was about a weeks worth of food for little old me...