Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 13:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Paleo vs Raw

I'm not real familiar w/ either Paleo or Raw diets, but it seems intake wise it would be about the same, (well other than meat, I don't see too many raw meat eaters), and Paleo peeps cook their food. would those be the two main differences?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 13:28

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I eat paleo and I exclude the food in my sig.

Raw eaters may still eat grains, dairy, legumes, tubers, nightshades....

They just don't cook them.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 13:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thanks for getting back to me Tarlach. I can understand the rationale behind most of the foods on your 7 deadly sins list, but I'm curious, why no nightshades? Is it because they are new world foods and were not available to Paleo man?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 185/139/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 131%

From this link :

Quote:
A particular group of substances in these foods, called alkaloids, can impact nerve-muscle function and digestive function in animals and humans, and may also be able to compromise joint function.

I also do not eat nightshades. Rheumatoid arthritis is prevalent in my family, so I don't want to risk eating those foods.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 14:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why do people get paleo and raw mixed up? Paleo people cook their foods, if they want to. Raw people don't eat paleo foods necessary, and they don't cook their food. They missed out on the memo that humans have cooked food for many, many thousands of years.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 14:35

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Well, there are some raw paleo people..

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 04:02

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
Thanks for getting back to me Tarlach. I can understand the rationale behind most of the foods on your 7 deadly sins list, but I'm curious, why no nightshades? Is it because they are new world foods and were not available to Paleo man?

Ab, I dropped all nightshades on the advice of the folks in this forum and saw a stunning improvement in my arthritis (both knees) and my rosacia.

I'll never eat 'em again!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 10:06

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian

Yes, that's basically it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 20:58

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I'm very strict about avoiding tomatoes, but I do have hot peppers occasionally. Recently I found out that tomatoes are quite high in fructose, but peppers are not, so now I feel sort of justified.

At the moment, though, I am aiming for near-zero vegetables. I've never tried that before, so it's a learning experience.

I quite like raw meat, but I like it cooked too. I laugh at people who think I don't get much variety - I have raw beef, cooked beef, beef liver, chicken liver, duck liver, chicken heart, roast chicken, fried chicken, pork roast, pork chops, pork sausage, pork fat, raw fish, cooked fish, cured fish, fish roe, lard... what more variety do you need?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 11:21

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

I have a question about the nightshades, peppers specifically. I thought they had medicinal qualities to them especially the hot one like cayenne.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 11:37

Plan: ulc-paleo(meaty goodness)
Stats: 175/165/140 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by equistar
I have a question about the nightshades, peppers specifically. I thought they had medicinal qualities to them especially the hot one like cayenne.

Depending on your definition of "medicinal qualities," they probably do. If "medicinal qualities" means "resembling a medicine," it's broad enough to be accurate.

Some people are sensitive and they seem to cause inflammation. This is true of myself. If inducing inflammation (let's say "mild pyrogenic properties") is what you're looking for, then, yes, they have medicinal qualities.

But seriously though, I'm sure they can be used to benefit in some people; in my case and others it's best to avoid them.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 12:04

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:

Hot peppers have Vitamin C and magnesium. They have antimicrobial properties too - I'm not sure, but it may be from the capsaicin itself. Not by coincidence, in places where the weather is hot and meat doesn't keep very long, people eat very spicy food.

Unfortunately, while there's been a lot of press about the nutrients in various plant foods, the antinutrients tend to get overlooked. All plant foods have both, and sometimes they are one and the same. Just as with pharmaceuticals, there are side effects and contraindications for medicinal plants.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 12:16

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I quite like raw meat, but I like it cooked too. I laugh at people who think I don't get much variety

I like raw meat as well! I can easily eat an entire 1/4lb burger raw if I don't catch myself (like when I'm dividing up a large package).

NOM!

LOL, on the variety thing. MOST people don;t realise how little variety they actually eat each week. We probably eat a MORE varied diet than the average american!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 13:49

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

Thanks for the info, I just happen to love spicy food, cajun, asian, mexican doesn't matter. I think I'm addicted to that sensation when you dip your tuna sashimi in wasabi soy sauce.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 14:26

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I just happen to love spicy food, cajun, asian, mexican doesn't matter. I think I'm addicted to that sensation when you dip your tuna sashimi in wasabi soy sauce.

Wasabi is horseradish ... not a nightshade.

It's hard to imagine that paleo people would have eaten horseradish, though. You have to wear gloves to even handle it.