Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 07:04
LUST For The Moment

Plan: LC/VLC
Stats: 167/139/137 Female 5'7"
BF:5'7"
Progress: 93%

I'm on a Low Fat, LC regimen and feel GREAT ..........

I have LITTLE hunger because I'm in perpetual ketosis.

I personally feel that a diet high in saturated fat poses significant risks of cardiac disease and cancer.

I disagree with those who state that a low fat diet is unsustainable.

Good Luck,
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 12:07

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LustFTM
I'm on a Low Fat, LC regimen and feel GREAT ..........

I have LITTLE hunger because I'm in perpetual ketosis.

I personally feel that a diet high in saturated fat poses significant risks of cardiac disease and cancer.

I disagree with those who state that a low fat diet is unsustainable.

Good Luck,

Good luck with that. If you are low fat and low carb that means you arehigh protein. Which will be fine until you reach normal body fat % of 16-20%. After that your kidneys and liver will start taking a beating because breakdown of protein into glucose produces nitrogen as a byproduct. That must be expelled by your kidneys and liver or toxicity will ensue. So good luck with that.

Also your personal feeling about sat fat are biased by the media and your upbringing in an environment that demonizes the substance and it has little relevance to the facts that no research has yet conclusively implicated sat fat is bad for. The dietary fat hypothesis is shit science.

I am not trying to sound mean and I honestly wish you luck, but there is ample evidence that sat fat is not bad and is indeed beneficial and that high protein can cause kidney and liver problems. Good luck.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 18:09

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Sure anyone can lose on low fat and they can lose weight by starvation, but that doesn't mean it's healthy.

Health is the #1 priority, losing weight is secondary. If you can eat everything your body requires (not what it wants), you will get healthy and lose weight. It's not rocket science.

Besides what makes you think saturated fat is bad for you? Mankind was eating saturated fat for millions of years and now it's bad for you? Shame on you. Do some real research.

Oh and for the saturated fat doomsayers, I will compare lipids with you anytime. I'm 59 and my lipids are perfect and I've been eating saturated fat AGAIN the past 5 years.

Last edited by Hellistile : Sun, Jul-05-09 at 18:16.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: custom
Stats: 196/191/175 Male 73"
BF:
Progress:

This ultimately comes down to creating a calorie deficit. A low carb diet seems to be the path of least resistance to creating a calorie deficit and subsequently losing weight. The reasons I prefer a diet low in carbs are 1) because it controls hunger, and 2) because there is likely a metabolic advantage to this kind of diet. I definitely don't believe that you can eat unlimited amounts of calories on this diet, but the magic is that you won't need to!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%

I was at my lowest weight ever and felt the best on a lowfat/raw diet. I wasn't starving. It's funny how I ate hundreds more in calories on that diet and weighed less than I do now. It was the first time in my life I was under 125. I didn't go straight vegan..still drank raw goat milk/raw eggs. I went off of it simply because of lifestyle changes, moving, economy crash and it being too expensive and inconvenient. It's a pain in the ass during traveling too. Until my life crashed, I loved it.

I screwed my blood sugar levels up when I went off that diet and became the mess I am now. Keto is working for me but honestly I don't plan on doing it forever. I know what made me fat and it wasn't any particular way of eating besides my Starbucks addiction.. it was just a combination of crap.

Also to add - I watched my grandmother get the lowest weight she's ever been at from a silly diabetic diet which is lowfat. She blew up to around 275 and is now 190. It's "lower" in carbs than how she used to eat but it's still high carbs and the low glycemic thing. She eats oatmeal with splenda instead of oatmeal with spoonfuls of sugar. It also helped her metabolism eating every few hours instead of stuffing herself once a day. Diabetes almost killed her from being undiagnosed for so long and then it saved her by making her eat better. She still eats ridiculous but it's better than the bread and pasta diet she ate for 80+ years.

People lose weight with low fat and others with low carb. All comes down to everyone is different.

Last edited by Failed. : Tue, Dec-13-11 at 11:14.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 11:55

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed.
I was at my lowest weight ever and felt the best on a lowfat/raw diet. I wasn't starving. It's funny how I ate hundreds more in calories on that diet and weighed less than I do now. It was the first time in my life I was under 125. I didn't go straight vegan..still drank raw goat milk/raw eggs.
I was actually also at my lowest adult weight in the last 30 years on a very low fat diet. I don't know what my actual weight was, but for the only time in 30 years I was able to wear "regular" clothes and not plus sizes.

But I *didn't* feel the best. I felt like total crap. I was hungry every waking minute of the day - even though I was eating as many calories as I now eat on a LC diet. I had no social life as I had such terrible cravings and fantasies about food all the time that I could never be around other human beings if food was involved at all - which was almost always, . Oh and I developed gall stones which the doctor said was a direct result of the very low fat diet.

Eventually, after months and months of torture, I decided I'd rather weight 300 pounds than eat like that one single more day, and so it came to pass.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 19:09

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

I reached my lowest weight ever as an adult when my diabetes went so out of control that I was in diabetic ketosis for a long period of time before I was diagnosed initially

I could eat whatever I felt like then and lose weight
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-11, 07:11

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I was on an extremely low fat vegan diet for a long time. I lost weight but I developed an intolerance to wheat and soy that made life miserable for months before I figured out what was causing my intestinal distress. Also, like Debbie, I was hungry all the time and couldn't do anything socially because there was never anything served that fit into my eating plan. People quickly got tired of only going to Chinese restaurants and watching me eat nothing but rice and veggies. I didn't quit the vegan diet because of health or social problems though, I quit because my husband was being treated for stage 4 cancer and it was impossible to stick to that WOE while accompanying him to all his radiation and chemo appts. I switched to low carb out of necessity and immediately felt better. Aside from a few spells where I fell off the wagon I have stuck to low carb ever since. I would never go the low fat vegan route again, no matter what they say about heart disease and how we're plugging up our arteries by eating animal products.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 09:54

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

Well, I also lose weight on a low fat diet for a while but it was very slow and I had awful cravings.
Also, I would SEE my body change on a low carb diet/eating plan that did not happen on low fat.The scale slowly ticked downward while my clothing size stayed the same. I've dropped 2 sizes since switching to a lower carb why of eating.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 11:17

Plan: Standard LC ~50g a day
Stats: 455/418/220 Male 6 Feet 4 Inches
BF:41.2
Progress: 16%

When I started college, I weighed about the same as I did last October before I started my current LC WOE. During the first 2 years of college I lost about 150 purely be exercising without paying attention to anything I ate. My diet centered on a school dining hall "all you can eat" style system. I ate TONS of pasta, cereal, fries and pizza.

I went from a 52" waist to 36" eating a very high carb diet.

However as soon as I stopped exercising so much, I gained it all back. And even though I had lost weight, my BP was high, my blood sugar was high, and it got worse as the pounds came back on.

The moral of the story is that you can do lots of things to lose weight, but going low carb is more than losing weight, it improves health in general.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 17:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I went low fat vegetarian and gained 40 pounds because of all the carb sources, like beans and corn and wheat, that you have to eat to get enough protein. Hungry all the time, which didn't help.

Then I did low fat and lots of exercise. Which worked... until it stopped. My doctor made a rueful laugh said it it happens to all his patients all the time... once you hit forty it rarely works.

I've kept a sixty pound loss off for more than seven years. So I'm a mutant. I have lots of company
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 17:32

Plan: Not sure right now
Stats: 241/234/175 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 11%

What is CAD/CALP?
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 07:38

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Carbohydrate Addicts Life Plan
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 15:12

Plan: Not sure right now
Stats: 241/234/175 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thank you Anni!!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 16:07

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Well if you're feeling great, then that's fine. Make sure to get renal function checked on a routine basis to ensure things are working properly.

Most people who come on this forum have had the opposite response to a high protein/low fat caloric ratio. They've tried it, and it hasn't worked. That means people like myself either didn't lose weight, felt extremely tired all the time, or both. For me, it was both.

You lost weight because you kept your carbohydrate intake low, and your metabolism could handle the amount of lean meat you were feeding it. Some people's bodies will readily take excess protein and have it undergo gluconeogenesis.

You can tell us that fat causes cancer, red meat causes iron overdose, doesn't matter. This is about as effective as telling a vegetarian that vegetables cause cancer and then giving no evidence to back that statement up.

I wish you luck on your low-fat, low-carb journey. It's just not for me, or a lot of us who belong to this forum. You might be able to get newbies to try your woe for a while, but you won't sway the opinion of the more experienced LC-ers who have experimented and found out what works for them.