Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 22:03

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ah now I get it

I was all confused when it said smarties. In Australia (like Europe) smarties are candy coated chocolate. I couldn't figure out how you smoked chocolate

We call those things a candy roll?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 06:29

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlach
Ah now I get it

I was all confused when it said smarties. In Australia (like Europe) smarties are candy coated chocolate. I couldn't figure out how you smoked chocolate

We call those things a candy roll?

It's funny, it's one of those Canada vs the United States things I'd totally forgotten about. Here, as in Australia, Smarties are the candy coated chocolate "Do you eat the red ones last?", etc. and we call those other chalk-like coloured candies Rockets. Interestingly, according to the wiki, the Canadian ones, taste stronger... I like this note about "smoking" them... "Some doctors are concerned that "smoking smarties" could have negative health effects that include infection and allowing maggots to grow in the nasal passages by eating the sugar" I swear they just make stuff like that up to freak kids out, they should have fleshed it out a bit more for them
and went with, "ultimately the maggots may burrow into the eyes and brain." [oh well, it is wikipedia - I suppose I could just do it myself]
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 08:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Yeah, I was wondering, "how exactly do flies lay eggs inside your nose?"

I lived in England for a while and I was disappointed every time I forgot that Smarties were bland milk chocolate pellets, sort of like giant M&Ms. I think the sour chalky candies were called SweetTarts there.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 09:24

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Smarties and SweetTarts are two different candies, at least in the US. Smarties are small and have an indent in them and are sweet and kind of chalky and crumble in your mouth. SweetTarts are larger, more sour, and much harder. Neither one has any chocolate.

Not that I ate a lot of candy as a kid or anything. ;P
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 09:35

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Smarties and SweetTarts are two different candies, at least in the US. Smarties are small and have an indent in them and are sweet and kind of chalky and crumble in your mouth. SweetTarts are larger, more sour, and much harder. Neither one has any chocolate.

ALSO... they have no fructose whatsoever, and thus are on 'safe' candy lists for children with either Hereditary Fructose Intolerance or Fructose Malabsorption.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 05:58

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

I read in one article that it said the french lady smoke 2 cigarettes per day. Not many people smoke in such moderation. Maybe she turned on her healing genes with the small amount of toxins she ingested daily and smoking actually helped her stay healthy. I know I'm reaching here!
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 07:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I read in one article that it said the french lady smoke 2 cigarettes per day. Not many people smoke in such moderation. ...

It's like this 100 year old smoking her 170,000th cigarette: link to article oddly she does a Bill Clinton at the end and says she "never inhaled", though unlike Bill - she may be telling the truth.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

The studies that have compared flue-cured tobacco with other tobacco suggest that flue-cured tobacco is more addictive, causing people to smoke more. That's the only health difference that has been demonstrated (at least by the time Sugar Blues was written in the 70s).
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:09

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn

Right, we have Sweettarts too. What you call Smarties I've only heard called Rockets, but yeah, they're different from SweetTarts, and Smarties are candy-coated chocolate here. Some international marketing team surely decided this was best for all of us

Simulated smoking was way simpler when I was a kid; we had Popeye "candy sticks"... white cylindrical candies about the length of a cigarette, in a cigarette-type box, with red on one end like a lit cigarette. Then again, those were the days when if you took a pottery class as a kid it was always suggested you make an ashtray for your parents

Last edited by Bexicon : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 17:16.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:12

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

See, we just called those candy cigarettes. No beating around the bush there!
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:17

BF:
Progress:

That's what we called them too, but I think it said "candy sticks" on the box.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 17:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Bex, we must be about the same age! I remember both those things.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 18:19

BF:
Progress:

I'm 44. My mother still has one of my ashtrays
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

from what i been reading, most people over 100 seem to eat a balanced diet including some meat. most seem to eat low fat (20-35%Fat), veggies though... i really didnt find anyone who ate low carb and high meat diet.

Last edited by mineralman : Sat, Apr-18-09 at 05:16.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 09:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
from what i been reading, most people over 100 seem to eat a balanced diet including some meat. most seem to eat low fat (20-35%Fat), veggies though... i really didnt find anyone who ate low carb and high meat diet.

Given the vast majority the world has been agricultural for that last 100 years, it should be expected that the tiny minority of cenetenarians are survivors of that way of eating. There are roughly 300,000,000 people currently eating the SAD in the USA alone. If there were a alternate sample of meat eaters to draw your number of cenetenarians from, I'd wager they would have a far higher number. Of the current 306,000,000 citizens in the USA there are only 72,000 cenetenarians ( USA pop and cent pop ). From that extremely tiny minority you cherry pick a couple who at some point in their life claim to have engaged in some manner of calorie restriction, low-fat or cleaned up version of the SAD and wrote their life stories as testimonies to their WOE. Of the current 72,000 centenearians probably many thousands were hard drinking smokers who ate plenty of candy bars and were overweight and sedentary for much of their life; What does that prove?
Anyway, we'll never know for sure - but I'm confident that a high fat, meat diet is much healthier than one that substitues meat with plants - and if there were enough people eating that way - the benefits would be statistically obvious as well.

Also, I really think you stress the longevity thing way too much - I've said it before, but I've personally known a centenarian, even they didn't want to be one. It's much better to be vital and healthy until your end, even if you don't make it past some arbitrary age like a century.