Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 378/378/175 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default Did You Have A Wake Up Call?

Did you have a wake up call that helped you get moving with your low carb journey? SORRY this is long.

I sure did

I can't believe I am going to share this with you because I have not shared it with anyone else. Only me and God know about this. Until NOW
I actually had two wake up calls within one week of each other.

The first one was this. One night I could not get comfortable in the bed so I went to get into the recliner to try and rest. At that time my husband also got up and went to the bathroom at the same time. When he closed the door I sat in the recliner and kicked back. The thing is I did not realize how hard I did and over went the recliner backwards. YES IT DID my feet sticking up in the air and I could not move . I was to heavy to move the recliner and was stuck. I was thinking OMG my husband is going to come out of that bathroom and find me feet in the air stuck. I was soooooo ashamed and I was thinking God please don't let him see me like this. So I started to kick and kick and move to the side of the chair. Finally after a huge stuggle with the recliner I finally got out the side and managed to place the recliner back right and sit down before he came out. He looked at me and went back to bed. I was so out of breath. I can not tell you how ashamed I was that night. I then thought to myself what if I had not been able to get myself up. My husband sure could not move me at 376 lbs. That truely got me thinking!

I am around people all the time. I am a wedding coordinator for my church so that keeps me busy and interactive with others. Most of the people always treat me with respect when I do a wedding, maybe it is because I am also the minister and perform the weddings so most treat me kindly.

With that said on Valentines Day we had a wedding and I had purchased a new dress to wear for the wedding. HUGE by the way 5X but none the less I was dressed up. Had my hair pulled back in a nice bow to match and was excited about the wedding. Before the wedding someone ask if they could get a picture of me and my assistant. So we stood behind the nicely decorated cake table and smiled. OMG That next week I recieved the picture from the person and I wanted to cry. I tell you I did not know this person that stood there. I could not believe my own eyes. Who was this women I do not know her. That can't be me I would never allow myself to look like that. But the fact was it was me. I knew right then after both of those things happening within a week of each other that I had better do something and not wait. Usually when I am going to diet I wait to Mondays
But the next morning I started without even telling my husband I was going to. We are both now low carbing. He needs to lose about 15 lbs so he was excited to see us both finally make the decision to change our lives again so that I can find that women I once knew.

So what was your wake up call? Come on if I can tell you about me flipping over in my recliner and my feet in the air yours should be a piece of cake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 07:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

My wakeup call was being diagnosed as diabetic. I was only 37 years old at the time and I just sat there thinking...I'm going to die an early death if I don't do something about this. It took me a long time to find LC. I first tried following all the recommended things for diabetics. Of course, nothing worked and matters just kept getting worse and worse. When I finally started doing my own research and learning about my body, things changed and that's when I found LC. I believe it will ultimately prolong my life!

Thanks for sharing your story!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 08:20

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I didn't really have a wake up call. I have always tried low fat diets that didn't work. I am about 100lbs heavier than I was when I started my first diet. I found LCing when I was researching how to cure chronic fatigue. It was pretty much an accident. I did want to lose weight though because my BP was out of control, it's almost in the normal range now.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 12:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I had a cardiac scare. was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and was in fluid overload. I am only 51 and I do not want to die. I have an 11 year old daughter that has autism that needs me. since august I have not looked back. I can still remember how bad I felt. No more...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 13:12

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Looking at pictures of myself sure woke me up as well. I knew I had gained weight and kept trying low fat but it never worked. I had my husband take a picture from the front the back and the side and let me tell you I didn't recognize myself. That just gave me the motivation to not quit this way of life and its almost 6 months with no cheats, also the health factor is a big part of it for me too I just wanna be healthy and happy again.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 13:49
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Too many and too numerous to recount. I get the wakeup call I just cant seem to "wake up"
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 14:47

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

My wake up call was my health. I realized that if I did not lose this weight that I owuld be in a wheel chair in a few years for the rest of my life.
I have alot of arthritis in my knees and hips and I have a bad time walking now. I do not want to be a invalid and a burden on my husband.
So when I got in from my doctor I decided to go on Atkins Low carb and lose it. I am now down over 60 lbs. but still have alot more to lose, but I will do it because I have the determination now to lose it.
Beginning weight --295
weight now--235
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 16:47

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

My most serious wake up call (after many others) was when I realized I had two choices only - either lose weight or become disabled. I knew that was the proverbial fork on the road and there was no third choice.

Can't tie my shoes, can't clip toenails without gasping for air, can't walk 20 yards without being winded, can't move around without pain, don't want to go out because I am embarrassed, can't clean my house, can't, can't, can't ....

And the way things were going, I knew it was getting worse and worse. I didn't want to have to be taken out of my home through a hole in the wall with a forklift, and with the way I had been steadily gaining, it was becoming a real possibility.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 296.6/255/220 Male 77
BF:40%/28%/18%
Progress: 54%

I haven't had a so-called wake up call yet. I've always been big and on occasion I've been down right fat! And I'm just tired of it. I want to be healthy. I'm married with 2 kids so I don't care how I look. ok j/k. I do care. the hard part for me is sticking with the diet. I've lost weight many times only to stop short of my goal. this time, I vow, it will be different. I will not stop eating right and exercising-ever. of course when I get to my goal, I won't have to do it as hardcore, but I will still do the diet and exercise. It's going to be a way of life for me.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 17:30

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCI B
I had a cardiac scare. was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and was in fluid overload. I am only 51 and I do not want to die. I have an 11 year old daughter that has autism that needs me. since august I have not looked back. I can still remember how bad I felt. No more...

Really? Me too!

BTW, after a year on Atkins my echo came back 'negligible'.

I saved my life! How are you doing?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 17:36

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Exhorter... My wake up call was, well, a phone that kept ringing... I didn't exactly have a "scare" or anything but I would look at pictures and not recognize myself... (refer to my "Before Photo") I have never been "thin" but I've always been healthy and relatively okay with my weight... Until about 2.5 years ago when I first met my DH. I gained about 30 lbs in less than a year. I was definitely unhealthy and heading down a very dangerous and slippery slope.... I would try other methods of weight loss and nothing would work... i was getting super sad about the way I looked, PLUS my DH was diabetic and only kept his BS under control with pills. Finally, I remembered Atkins from back when I was in college... I had done it over a period of a couple of months and lost quite a bit of weight... I remembered it working for me. So, that's what I did... but I was smart about it and bought the 2002 version of the book FIRST to make sure I was doing it right! March 31st will be my 1 year Atkins anniversary and DH has been doing it for about 9 months. I WILL NEVER go back... this is a WOL for me... I absolutely LOVE it... Not just because of the weight loss but b/c I have not felt better, more energetic, in YEARS! And, DH has been off of his meds since week 1 on Atkins... his blood work is GREAT!
Welcome to the forum... and congrats on answering the call
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 17:42

Stats: 175/163/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Seeing pictures of myself has always been the wake up call. My mirror is too kind, plus I can only see from the waist up. It's always very disappointing when you thought you looked good until someone shows you the picture. Lately I have been taking pictures with my cell phone to see what I really look like.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 17:43

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Elizabeth, thanks for reminding me... Exhorter, you should REALLY consider posting a "Before Photo"... it's amazing when you can see side-by-side pictures that show your weight loss! It's an amazing feeling!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 20:57
Registered Member

Stats: 365/338/185 Female 5 Foot 8
BF:
Progress: 15%

There were a lot of little wakeup calls. Reality kept pounding on the door, but I just wasn't listening. I am 25 years old and at the beginning of this journey, I weighed 365 pounds. I have weighed over 300 pounds for close to 3 years now, so I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. My world became full of "can't" because of my weight.

I think that the day my doctor looked at me and told me that I had to either lose weight or forget about having children- that was my wakeup call. To have my other girlfriends having babies of their own, and sitting there every day imagining my very own little girl with blue eyes just like my husband's, or a little boy with my father's nose...the thought of never being able to meet the children I so desperately want to have was my biggest wakeup call.

So now, anytime somebody says "Just one bite won't hurt", I think of the babies I might never get to have.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 21:21
Registered Member

Stats: 378/378/175 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I love reading about other people and how their lives have changed. It brings me hope once again that I can get there if I continue to press forward and not look back.