Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 13:55

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

You're right Nancy, only try what you're comfortable with.

It would interest me what you mean by alcohol interfering with your sleep.

The pancreas has a glucose sensing mechanism, if the pancreas feels that levels are too low it will release some hormones and through the bloodstream the liver and muscles gets the stimulation to release glucose.

Here is an explanation on how it works:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/diabetes1.htm

So probably, it may be that get low at a point of your sleep (perhaps having a nightmare or some other kind of dream ) and the alpha cells of your pancreas release the hormones and the liver, kidneys and muscles release glucose.

The problem is that if you're insulin resistant, the released glucose will stay there.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 14:27

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

AgimA
Bitter melon works for me.
Berberine(huang lian su) works for me.
About 3 shots of scotch works too well.
Vanadium sulfate did not work for me.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Lots of good info and good people here.
Cheers
Eddie
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 14:38

BF:
Progress:

Eddie
I'm intrigued by the berberine, there's another vegetal agent, the neem tree. It is used in ayurvedic medicine to treat all sorts of things, including diabetes. Do you know something about it?

How much vanadium sulfate did you take? Did you experience any side effects?

I haven't received my pills yet, ordered them 2 days ago from canada, we'll see 30 mg BMOV+Bitter gourd+Gymnema Sylvestre+Chromium+cinnamon, quite stuffed those pills.

I'm finding very interesting ideas and suggestions in this forum, different from what you usually find on the internet.

Cheers
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 15:11

BF:
Progress:

Nancy, another possibility. When I lose weight while sleeping, usually around 2 pounds, I see according to my logs that I get a higher FBG. The loss can only be explained by loss of water. I suppose that if you lose water, the blood will get thicker as well, so the concentration of BG in the blood will be higher. Could that be an explanation?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 15:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Alcohol is kind of stimulating to me. It also interferes with the sleep cycle. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa41.htm

Unfortunately I've been completely stalled on weight loss for quite some time after losing about 40-45 pounds on low carb.

I'm going to get a fasting insulin test and see if perhaps I'm insulin resistant.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 06:16

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
It looks like you've tried quite some stuff, I understand that you're not using insulin or taking any other medication, have you tried alcohol? In moderation, like one little serving of whiskey or some other "hard" alcohol have helped others.

Alcohol has it therapeutic uses, as far as you don't abuse, it should be good for your general health.

Maybe a little serving mixed with some green tea before going to bed could help. Just be careful.

Another suggestion, taking a hot bath for 30 minutes before going to bed.

In answer to your previous question I'm prediabetic. Only found out by having routine blood drawn for physical and my fasting was 103. I never went back to the doc and have been trying to deal with it myself.

I tried a glass of wine last night an hour before bedtime.......shiraz....with two slices of mozarella. VOILA this morning FBG was 76!! I'm not going to do this every night though.

Also I don't believe the banaba is working for me. My daytime levels have been between100-120 and thats with very low carb.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 07:34

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
In answer to your previous question I'm prediabetic. Only found out by having routine blood drawn for physical and my fasting was 103. I never went back to the doc and have been trying to deal with it myself.

I tried a glass of wine last night an hour before bedtime.......shiraz....with two slices of mozarella. VOILA this morning FBG was 76!! I'm not going to do this every night though.

Also I don't believe the banaba is working for me. My daytime levels have been between100-120 and thats with very low carb.

Now you have an excuse to drink wine! Like: "are you alcoholic?", "NO, NO, it's just medicine!"

If you see that it works most of the time, when you try it, it would be nice if you would post your results, maybe it helps others, with me it seems to be quite erratic, sometimes it will work extremely well, others, well...

Perhaps it's also the combination mozarella + wine, or the type of wine.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 16:31

BF:

No Im not alcoholic. I used to be a social drinker and I guess you'd call me a whimpy partier in my younger days. When I got into my forties I just quit cause I didn't like how it made me feel. But one glass is perfect.

I'm going to do it again tonight (drink the wine) and post here in the morning again. My husband opened the bottle last night and drank a glass with me (he's a beer drinker) and there is enough left for us to have a glass or two tonight. Like I said I probably won't do this every night.

I swear I saw somewhere in one of these threads that a poster said he/she had good results with coconut oil taken at night. I used coconut oil during the day but never tried it to lower my glucose.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 17:00

BF:
Progress:

Sorry if you thought that I'm calling you an alcoholic, it wasn't my intention.

Coconut oil? Never heard of that, I'll give it a try
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 17:07

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Alcohol is certainly a glucose lowerer for me. I run a 20% lower basal for almost 8 hours when I have 2-3 glasses of wine, and change my carb ratio from 1:4 to 1:8.

V.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 450/374/200 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 30%

New to diabetes,too.Sounds like you're doing great.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 17:56

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
Alcohol is certainly a glucose lowerer for me. I run a 20% lower basal for almost 8 hours when I have 2-3 glasses of wine, and change my carb ratio from 1:4 to 1:8.

V.

20%?! For 8 hours? That's a lot! I'm wondering now, after your experience, if alcohol is also an insulin mimetic, besides keeping the liver busy an preventing glucose dumps by it.

Do you have other experiences with specific foods/herbs/drinks you know predictably will lower your BGL?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 18:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
Sorry if you thought that I'm calling you an alcoholic, it wasn't my intention.

Coconut oil? Never heard of that, I'll give it a try

Well I suspected you might be kidding about the alcoholism. Anyway I have done some searching and it wasn't this forum I read about coconut oil. It was Dr. Bernsteins forum. One of the guys takes a tspn every night before he goes to bed. I'm going to try that. I use coconut oil a lot but never take it at night.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 18:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect

V.

Is it any kind of alcohol or just wine?
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 19:01

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely
New to diabetes,too.Sounds like you're doing great.

Hi, yeah, for the moment I'm doing really well, I've even gained some weight. Still too thin, but I guess that in 3 months I will have gained my target weight.

My stats must look weird, instead of going down, I go up, but that's what I want.

Wish you the best