Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 18:33

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Pregnant and waiting to start LC again

This thread is for the women out there who are pregnant and can't wait to start LCing once their bundle of joy is out in the world. Me, personally am do in April & cannot wait to meet her, and to start losing the lbs. I want to be proud looking in the mirror next to my beautiful baby girl. Also, I want my husband to know that pregnancy doesn't ruin me! lol, as I want to have more after this

Anyway, since most people on here are doing the diet now, it's a little hard for me to join in. But maybe if more people join we can support each other through the gain & then the loss! Hope you all enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 22:44

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Well, please forgive an old lady for her two cents worth but, if low carbing is a healthy way to eat (which I hope we're all convinced it is!) then why not keep eating healthy through pregnancy? Back in the 1950's when I carried my kids. we didn't know yet that sat. fat was supposed to be unhealthy so we didn't restrict red meat, and butter, and i sure didn't use veggie oils. We didn't know yet that whole grains and pasta were the healthy choices, so we didn't push 'em. My kids are now in their 50s and are at least as healthy as everyone else their age.

Personally, I'd stick with lower-carb eating and only add back a few veggies and low glycemic fruits and berries while preggers - perhaps at around a maintenance level. If grains and starches aren't healthy for us, why would we imagine they would be healthy for our fetuses?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 23:36

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

What Glenda said. No reason to not take out all the white stuff, right away. Sugar is never healthy and a baked potato has the same effect as sugar. White rice is really high in calories a cup of dry rice has 680 or so and I can easily eat that after it's cooked. Research is now showing carbs can lead to near sightedness, no reason to give a kid that.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 22:22

BF:

Well, regardless this is for people who are pregnant & want to eat healthy, but are looking forward to the days when we can eat 20 grams of carbs only! I wouldn't dream of putting my body in ketosis while pregnant, wow.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 00:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/255/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -88%

I'm not up to scope on why it's a bad thing to be in ketosis while pregnant; please tell?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 10:39

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

There is debate about whether ketosis is safe or not.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 15:16

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts
There is debate about whether ketosis is safe or not.

That's true, but if carbs cause myopia, what else are they causing. This really is something that we should have data on, the fact that we don't is very unsettling.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 16:53

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Also, there are those (like me) that cannot look protein in the eye without losing their past meal. I, unfortunately, had to stop low carbing during my pregnancies because I couldn't even stand the smell of beef, chicken, pork, turkey, or fish COOKING. It was very odd.

If you're not low carbing during pregnancy, DON'T WAIT once you've delivered! With each one, I waited longer and longer. BAd idea.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 18:15

BF:

I plan to go as close to Induction as possible once breastfeeding. In the meantime I'm just eating low carb, but with dairy & fruits. I'm gonna try to find some info on Ketosis while pregnant. I had read in one of the pregnancy mags that it wasn't safe, but I'll check b4 i say too much
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 18:27

BF:

#11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 17:56

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%

Bella, as you know from another thread, I,m into not doing LC while pregnant, so i hear you! ANd even when doing LC, it was more moderate by most people'S standards (more SB) (never 20 g). Frankly, i feel safer doing this AND i also WANT to be able to learn to eat all food groups in moderation so in the last year before pregnancy, i hardly did LC but more general moderation. LC did work for me in the past to lose weight and i don'T know if it will be my WOE after pregnancy or not. It might be and it might not. I also made important forum friends here so that is why i am still here. And my journal has become more of a personal life processing, not necessarily about food (for those who might wonder after my first few sentences, why i am on an LC forum). DO what feels right for you and don'T feel pressured.

Latté
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 188/188/145 Female 68.4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Bella,

Congrats on the upcoming little girl. I had my daughter in June (and my son 2 years before that!) I aspired to stay low carb while pg, but found with the morning sickness and 'fat depression' it was impossible. After delivery, I dedicated some time to bfeeding and then consulted this forum as to see how induction affected milk supply. Most reccomended waiting and or at least upping the induction carb restrictions. I only wanted to do it all or none. After a while I decided to wait until my daughter was older, 7 months before starting induction, and she was done bf within the two week phase. Needless to say, it diminished my supply greatly. I have lost 20 pounds this past month (Yeah!) and am on my way back to finding my baody. I just wanted to share my story with you and wish you the best of luck in your upcoming weeks!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 23:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

In my last pregnancy, I did what people called low carb, it was not what I called it, lol. This was my fourth child, I just did not eat any sugar, white bread, rice, white flour, stuff like that. I stuck with fresh foods, lots of fruit and veggies, and some meat later on in the pregnancy as I could not stomach it either in the first few months.

I ate wheat bread, or multigrain stuff. I did not eat over processed foods, you know the frozen burritos, that kind of stuff, lol. I did okay and put on a few extra pounds that I needed to lose, but it was nothing near two other pregnancies that I blew up like a balloon with. I was only lucky in the last pregnancy and the third. The first two were so hideous for weight gain. The third I was mortally ill and lost over 60 pounds, lucky to have my son today with that one.

I also noticed in the last pregnancy, that eating all fresh and whole natural foods, instead of the junk, I felt much better in the last trimester. I do not think I was ever in ketosis though as I ate a lot of fruit in the beginning and towards the end. My carb count would have easily been betweeen 60 to 90. I never limited myself on veggies and things like that while I was pregnant. It was nothing to see me with a HUGE chef salad, with some fruit on the side, lol.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 10:30

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I started the zero carb lifestyle 3 weeks ago, and just recently found out that I conceived right around that time. I feel so much healthier with no carbs, and I intend to stay that way. So far I have had only the tiniest hints of morning sickness.
I don't believe any of the hype around ketosis in pregnancy, in fact I believe it to be a completely natural human state. However, I respect other people's choices about that.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 11:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If I were reproducing I'd stick to a Paleo diet, maybe add in things like yams, higher carb squash and more fruits. But I can't imagine anything more healthy than a diet of meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and a few fruits. There's no reason to eat grains or sugars and, IMHO, some pretty good reasons to avoid them.