Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 12:52

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDelight
I make my own kimchee as well I use baby napas and stuff them with green oinions and garlic chives

mmmmmm kimchee is of God!!!!

I've discovered kimchi made with red cabbage instead of napa is incredible. The juice from it is my favorite drink!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 13:04

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've discovered kimchi made with red cabbage instead of napa is incredible. The juice from it is my favorite drink!

I can not believe I have never seen red cabbage kimchi may I please have the recipe?

I put kimchi and the juice on and in all kinds of things talk about good for you!!! if I have an upset tummy I go eat Korean food all the enzymes in kimchi work like a dream

I think we could start one in kitchen talk that sounds right to me
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 13:44

Quote:
I can not believe I have never seen red cabbage kimchi may I please have the recipe?

Recipe? Hehe... I sometimes look at the Nourishing Traditions recipe for kimchi but I don't really use one when I make it. Let me see if I can remember:

1 medium-sized red cabbage, shredded
1 5" piece daikon radish, or an equivalent amount of any radish, thinly sliced
Scallions, chopped, if ya got 'em
4 or 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
Sprinkle of chili pepper flakes
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup leftover kimchi juice, sauerkraut juice, whatever.

Mix all ingredients well and pack down into a mason jar. Add water to cover, add more water to make more juice, but increase the salt if it's a lot. You can weight the vegetables down with a smaller jar inside the big one. Seal and leave in a cool (or not-so-cool) place for 3 days to a year. I usually leave mine on the kitchen counter for a couple days and then move it to the basement. Two weeks seems like a good time for kimchi - it's a lot faster than sauerkraut.

I've been using a vegetable peeler to make very thin vegetable slices for my kimchi. It works great!

Sometime I'm going to try putting small fish in my kimchi. I hear they dissolve completely.

Last night I tried making some pickled grated daikon. I'm thinking it will be another great horseradish substitute.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Smokers and Cookbooks

Quote:
Wifey wants to get an electric smoker - does that work just as well?

Yes! I have one on my back porch and it's wonderful. I'll head out there later and look at the make/model. One of the reasons I got an electric was that I wanted absolutely steady temps, and I'm waaay too lazy to keep adding fuel for long cook times. I also use it as a slow cooker, and a cold cooker if I want to make smoked salmon. I keep meaning to get around to making duck breast prosciutto but haven't found a local source of duck breasts yet. Whole ducks, yes, but not the parts.

As to the cookbook, although some fiction and non-fiction has been published, this will be my first cookbook. I'm excited - though a tad daunted by the hard work - and will be posting here in February looking for volunteers who might like to test recipes. No money, but they do get mentioned on the acknowledgements page -- and of course they get the recipes ahead of everyone. Which I'm hoping some folks will think is a good deal.

Lisa
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 13:51

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I think a charcuterie thread is a great idea, HiDe. And how about sharing kimchee recipes too? Another thread?

These are two categories of food I have always just purchased. Well, okay, I've made a lot of pate, but that's just glorified meatloaf. I'm glad at least two other people are interested in pursuing and discussing this. For some irrational reason, I'm slightly afraid to head down this path. With your support, I'll brave it.

ETA - I was in the kitchen for over an hour and when I came back and replied, this thread had progressed much further than what I was replying to. Note to self: Use the refresh button, dummy.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
I keep meaning to get around to making duck breast prosciutto but haven't found a local source of duck breasts yet. Whole ducks, yes, but not the parts.

I love duck, but it's so expensive and so much work... if only Wifey liked it more I think we'd make the effort more often. I would love to make some duck confit - I'll trade you some duck breasts for some duck legs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
As to the cookbook, although some fiction and non-fiction has been published, this will be my first cookbook.

Cool! Are you going to share what they are?

I'm up for testing, as long as all the ingredients are on my (very short) list of ok foods.

Mike
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 14:35

I have made the duck procuitto it was fantastic!!! so freaking easy! and the reward!!
I used whole ducks and then used the legs skin and stuff for make shift confit and a big pot of to die for soup. Nothing was wasted

the little duck breasts hanging around our cold room looked hysterical mini hams the taste was absolutely outstanding!!!

ok we need a thread bike2 I think Kimchi could go with this considering it is a pickle!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 14:38

Awriter my brother is also a writer and has published books! WOW what a hard job. I started a cookbook years ago and tried to finish but it never happened. good luck to you and yes it would be fun your stuff if you want to share!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 14:41

hey someone go start it would you please I can not think of anything profound to say I only have short moments here between patients

and can join in anytime

I think it sould be open to all charcuterie/pickles/ect not just this wonderful book!

very cool low carb subject!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 14:43

Quote:
Recipe? Hehe... I sometimes look at the Nourishing Traditions recipe for kimchi but I don't really use one when I make it. Let me see if I can remember:

1 medium-sized red cabbage, shredded
1 5" piece daikon radish, or an equivalent amount of any radish, thinly sliced
Scallions, chopped, if ya got 'em
4 or 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
Sprinkle of chili pepper flakes
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup leftover kimchi juice, sauerkraut juice, whatever.

Mix all ingredients well and pack down into a mason jar. Add water to cover, add more water to make more juice, but increase the salt if it's a lot. You can weight the vegetables down with a smaller jar inside the big one. Seal and leave in a cool (or not-so-cool) place for 3 days to a year. I usually leave mine on the kitchen counter for a couple days and then move it to the basement. Two weeks seems like a good time for kimchi - it's a lot faster than sauerkraut.

I've been using a vegetable peeler to make very thin vegetable slices for my kimchi. It works great!

Sometime I'm going to try putting small fish in my kimchi. I hear they dissolve completely.

Last night I tried making some pickled grated daikon. I'm thinking it will be another great horseradish substitute.

thanks no one really uses a recipe to make kimchi do they I am going to try this!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 14:49

Quote:
thanks no one really uses a recipe to make kimchi do they I am going to try this!

I forgot carrots. Grated or thinly sliced.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 15:09

got it thank you! I am excited to try purple kimchi!

I bet it is really cool looking

I will write my napa recipe down it is very authentic. my friend and I used to make it together every year she is from Korea and very traditional. Hers was always just perfect so I was happy to learn from her.

there are times I will go to a Korean market see the kimchi (we actually have banchan sp? delis here) and just shake for it I love them all the diakon is one of my favorites do you make that one?

my salad is really boring now that I am thinking about all these wonderful foods!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 07:35

ok I started a thread clicky
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 215/205/160 Female 69.5
BF:
Progress: 18%

Oh God, I just died and went to heaven.

I've always been a big fan of raw/cured/smoked fish. But a single sashimi entree at a nice sushi place will set me back 20$ easy. And gravlax bought from the store is close to 5$/100g... and comes in those nifty little half size servings. Not exactly a dish I can have everyday. Until I made it. Bought deep frozen Atlantic Salmon on sale for 6.99$/pound.

I didn't check these boards before I tried my hand at making it. If anyone is weary of making their own, check out this link - it's got step by step pictures and enough information to reassure even the most paranoid of foodies.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax

It is absolutely delicious. Crazy cheap to make too, especially for the yield and quality. I'd eat more but I'm stuffed. I sliced up about 100g rather thickly and diced it, threw it in a green salad of romaine and endives with an oil, vinegar, dry mustard and dill dressing. Would've willingly paid 15-20$ for this in a restaurant and ended up at 3$/big bowl.

For supper I'll try to mince it, mix it with dijon and cream cheese and seasonings and stuff half an avocado with it.

Nom nom nom!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins & Paleo
Stats: 237/199/186 Male 5 ' 10.5 "
BF:
Progress: 75%

Back to the issue of gralax . . .
How much sugar remains in the lox once it is prepared? And does anyone have any experience using splenda instead of sugar? I've made lox many times, but always used kosher salt, brown sugar, and dill weed.