Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaus
Cracking of the corner of the lips, is called Angular Chelitis. It is caused by B-2 defiency and/or Candida.

OMG!!!!! I have had angular chelitis and in fact I am fighting chelitis RIGHT NOW!!!! I'm going to the health food store ASAP!!!!! You're a miracle worker!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Zone?
Stats: 175/150/145 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

So a b-complex and zinc may help with this one. Would a desitin baby rash cream help? (40% zinc oxide), I don't know.

Wikipedia suggests athletes foot creme (which also cures tinea/age spots), for Angular Chelitis. Another antifungal for age spots is selenium sulfide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_cheilitis
"Although the disease has an unknown etiology, the sores of angular cheilitis may become infected by the fungus Candida albicans (thrush), or other pathogens. Studies have linked the initial onset with nutritional deficiencies, namely riboflavin (vitamin B2)[1] [2] and iron deficiency anemia,[2] which in turn may be evidence of poor diets or malnutrition (e.g. celiac disease). Zinc deficiency has also been associated with angular cheilitis."

For gum disease, it would appear that Selenium deficiency is the most common predicter(93%). I think the rda is too low on this vitamin. It's unfortunate that dentists didn't read this study.

http://www.scienceblog.com/communit.../199903194.html
"Results showed that selenium has the strongest association with gum disease, with low levels increasing the risk by 13 fold. "

Last edited by Danaus : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 13:02.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 12:59

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

So much great information coming out right now - thanks Danaus.

My teeth have always been good, but my gums... not so great.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 14:21

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablema
OMG!!!!! I have had angular chelitis and in fact I am fighting chelitis RIGHT NOW!!!! I'm going to the health food store ASAP!!!!! You're a miracle worker!!!

That's also a typical symptom of iron deficiency.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I've experimented with mega-c, as well. I figured if Linus Pauling could take between 4-18000 mg/day (sodium ascorbate) and live to 92, then it can't be too bad for you.

I've gone up over the 18,000mg(1 tablespoon), as well. Read the Fred Klenner studies on treating Candida with mega-c.

He said you can reduce system toxicity, but it won't kill any fungus. It(Sodium Ascorbate from Amazon) does have a ph of 7.4, and will raise your ph, lower bacteria count and improve gastric juices and digestion. It will also cure the sinus problems quickly.

It won't kill any yeast though. None at all. Perhaps killing off your good bacteria isn't such a good idea. When you have years of sinus problems, and then all of a sudden their gone, thats a good thing, though.

I always blamed the drinking and smoking for the sinus problems. I don't recommend these. But now I can drink and smoke and get no sinus problems at all, so they weren't the cause. (They do deplete selenium, though).
I quit smoking, drinking, avoided sugar, exercised every days for 3 months trying to cure with diet and exercise. I lost 25 pounds which was nice. It seemed to help with energy levels, but then I got the add(brain fog) feeling for the first time in my life. Scary, scary feeling. So I've been going the vitamin route, and have had much better success.

Last edited by Danaus : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 16:14.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 16:07

BF:

Could it be possible that excessive dietary fructose is behind the horrendous rise of candida?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 19:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Could it be possible that excessive dietary fructose is behind the horrendous rise of candida?

In my case, I don't think that's it. Your question disturbs me greatly, in spite of it being a fair and legitimate question.

To be honest, I think I was born with it. I think my parents have it. I think my grandmother had it. I think my wife has it. I think my daughter has it. I think my sister has it. But I'm the second one to get the brain fog (my grandmother had dimensia).

I think it's a fluconazole resistant strain (over 50% of them are)(only 4% are itraconazole resistant). I am pissed off at doctors for not properly diagnosing this. This is a well documented disease for the last 50 years, and they treat you like a hypochondriac.

In fact my whole family treats me like a hypochondriac, and have called me one, and it is very disturbing; they say "it doesn't make sense", and refuse to read the literature I send them. Somewhat depressing.

It's somewhat sad that Fred Klenner was curing this disease with vitamins 50 years ago, and yet the standard medical opinion is expressed here, at doctorfungus.org:

http://www.doctorfungus.org/mycoses...Candidiasis.htm
" Actually, "no clear definition of the disease has ever been advanced" [220]. Considering these facts, it is impossible to set criteria to establish and identify patients affected with this supposed disease."

There are hundreds of books on this disease, dating back 100 years, and medical doctors aren't taught about it. There are the so-called pseudo-doctors like Hulda Clark, that have cured thousands of patients with this disease, and they are called quacks, and dangerous.

I am convinced that in cows, this is called "white muscle disease", and has been around since the beginning of time, and cured a long time ago; I am convinced it is the cause of IBS, Celiac, Hypothyroid, Gum disease, etc... It is sad that the medical community can't get off their butts and give people itraconazole and follow the full-course of treatment. Note: Itraconazole appears to fight cancer as well.
I will have a follow-up post with my history of the disease.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 19:33

BF:

Well, goodness gracious --- Pardon, me, MAM!!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 19:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That lupus responds to an anti-fungal has been documented 100 years ago.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/ar...i?artid=2298920

That MS responds to Nystatin, a non-absorbed antifungal, has been known for a decade.

All of these supposed "autoimmune" diseases are fungal infections, where the standard antifungal drug didn't work.

That HIV responds to selenium and Iodine is well documented.

That HPV(human papilloma virus) responds to salicylic acid(dandruff shampoo), I saw on discovery channel.

In fact, Jenny McCarthy cured her son's autism by removing heavy metals, and antifungal treatment, and is trying to raise $100 million for a clinical trial of her method.

Virus's create peptides which kill bacteria. Fungus's are the infections that never go away.

Doctors treat bacteria, and that's it, and it's sad.
Note: a clinical trial costs $100 million to $1billion. Pharmeceutical won't spend that on a non-patentable vitamin. The system is broken, I don't blame the doctors. That's why 30% of americans practice alternative medicine, though. It is sad that effective treatments exist, are well documented, and other doctors call them quacks with no evidence that there treatment doesn't work(see nobel prize winning Linus Pauling).

Last edited by Danaus : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 20:08.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 20:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

To clarify a point, hyperthyroidism is caused by a bacteria Yersenia Enterocolitis, which causes leaky gut, too, and is killed by Magnesium Chloride in labs.

Heliobacter Pylori is a bacteria that causes stomach cancer; it has a 30% cure with Vitamin C. Bacteria and can cause chronic diseases and cancer too.

I've got this stupid yeast, and so that's my focus.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 19:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

My answer was a bit unfair. To answer your question of why candida is on the rise... I think it's always been here. However, symptoms are on the rise. You shouldn't have 32-year-old with ADD and brain fog, with perfect cholesterol, etc...

My dad has had the white tongue for 40 years with no brain fog. This thing takes years and years to develop to get to the point of brain fog.

High sugar diets, food poisoning(creating a leaky gut)(like staph), living in an antibiotic world... this stuff seems to be driving up yeast infections.

The alternative medical community providing more information on this disease, is increasing diagnosises as well.

I think the yeast is contagious, and the ones they can't cure with fluconazole are spreading.
I haven't been tested yet for hypothyroidism yet, but I had a white tongue and grey hairs for 14 years. I was told these were genetic.

At 22, I notice a gin allergy(that my neck breaks out in hives). It turns out that Juniper oil kills many fluconazole resistant strains of Candida. I retested this allergy, and I still had it. On the second day of drinking gin, no allergy. So I'm kindof convinced of my problems.

I'll have to look up this "organic acid test", though.
With the mega-garlic, it was kild of cool.... taking 3 garlics every 3 hours, until I felt pain in my back(intestine). Pain went away the next day, so I tried again. This day the pain was lower. 5 straight days of the pain getting lower on the back. I smelled really bad, but I set this disease back 2 years, I think.

However, I think it's the selenium in the garlic that was fighting the candida. I haven't experimented with Brazil Nuts yet, though.

Too much selenium can cause "Selenium Poisoning", it can also worsen an Iodine deficiency, so those are the two contra-indications.

Selenium Poisoning occurs when somebody has more than 2.4milligrams/day for a long time. The body gets "too alkaline", which you can test with urinary ph (being above 7 or 8). So Selenium will raise ph, and slow the growth of the yeast.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 19:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think the brain fog kicks in when the amount of selenium in your diet is all used up to repair your gut, and theres not enough in your blood to prevent this stuff from spreading, getting into your blood, and eating up all your thiamin(b-1). That you can't grow candida in a lab without thiamin, has been known for 50-years.

Thiamin deficiency is dangerous, as it is necessary for removing heavy metals like mercury from your blood(kind of like selenium, as well).

The RDA on Thiamin is 3mg. When I had the brain fog, depression, for 2 days, I thought maybe it's dimensia... probably not, I'll go test out a b-vitamin just in case. I had a lot of food that day. A multi-vitamin... didn't think it could be a vitamin deficiency.

The super b-complex has 50mg of Thiamin(20 days supply)... and I could feel the difference in 20 minutes, completely gone in 3 hours. So that's my story on the brain fog.

Future experiments with the b-vitamin, and I could notice an obvious concentration difference (even if I didn't have brain fog). This one may or may not help(it may make it worse) with curing the fungus, but I can't live with the brain fog, so I'm happy with the Thiamin (which Klenner was giving to Candida patients a long time ago).
On the depression side, I was thinking what is wrong with me, I just avoided all sugars, jogged 3 miles per day, lost 25 pounds (that's dedication), and then this brain fog sets in(despite taking centrum every day). Not a happy day. And so I saw the initial post in this topic, and thought I would try to help someone else, since they were planning on trying the diet and exercise.

I'm down from 177 to 147 now (lost 5 pounds since stopping the diet and exercise (I'm only 5'5").
As for Fluconazole resistant strains, I found a 10-year old book on books.google.com, which said 14 of 30 strains respond to fluconazole, while 28 of 30 respond to itraconazole.

Today, over 100 different strains have been genetically sequenced. There is even a new computer chip which detects the different strains that has been patented. Unfortunately, I haven't seen updated statistics.

Last edited by Danaus : Sun, Apr-05-09 at 19:55.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 20:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

As for the Peppermint Oil(cures IBS in 40% of people) and Eucalyptus Oil... Vicks vapor rub has those two.

Unfortunately, I have noticed no difference with Peppermint Schnapps, so the peppermint oil doesn't help me (like the Gin does).
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 20:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

One day last year, I had this black spot in my mouth... I was thinking, is it melanoma? Really scary, so I quit the drinking and smoking and went on the diet.

Two days later, the black stuff fell off, but then a bump formed, and it was growing(it shrank, but grew during eating time)... and it was getting bigger by the week. I couldn't seem to cure this bump (until I took the mega-vitamin c)(which cures staph), during this time, I had these veins get swollen in my mouth, and some bumps appear.

I went to the dentist, and he said "it's not cancer". He didn't tell me it was periodontal disease". On the other cheek I got a gum pocket, for the first time in my life.

I got some yeast in my mouth at this time, and went to the doctor and got some fluconazole, and I felt better, but the mouth didn't get better, I had no reaction in my neck like the Gin, no stomach pain like the garlic, so this stuff didn't work.

I've tried a lot of stuff along the way, with various results, i will post these if you are interested; but now I'm on the Selenium plus juniper oil plus Zinc(which may interact with the brown yeast)(what the heck is this stuff).
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 20:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

In cows with eczema on there face, farmers give them a high zinc diet, and it clears. Amazing. Lots of people have eczema, why haven't they tested this on humans? You can find plenty of anecdotal evidence of people trying this and being cured on the internet, or just applying liquid zinc, or desitin baby rash lotion(40% zinc oxide), and curing eczema.