Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 11:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
SB doesn't make sense to me, and I would probably miss my vegetables on zero carb. But I'm happy to have SB and the zero carbers, and all the plans here. We belong together because we DO have a lot in common. I've seen evangelism on both sides, but I've also seen people really sharing their experiences, which is fascinating and it's what the forum is all about. Please don't try to drive anyone away.

Trying to limit discussions to one idea of each plan would serve no one. Most plans make room for a range of carbs - you can do zero-carb Atkins and you can do high-carb Paleo. Just because there isn't a zero-carb "plan" here doesn't mean that discussion of it doesn't fit into other plans.

I agree with you.
I'm not trying to drive anyone away BUT....these new zero carbers seem to predominate these discussions most of the time.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 14:45

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Judy,
You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder regarding zc, look back at we the zc people say. We are not trying to convert the low carb world. Honestly, we all have enough going on in our own lives and no real desire to spend our free to conerting people to zc. If someone has a question aboutzc thay ask, but I have never said it was the only way to lose weight or be healthy.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 01:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

I'm pretty sure the original questioner got an answer (and a lot more).
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 01:50
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just for the record.... We do indeed support zero/very low carbing here.

In fact one of the published plans we endorse is The Inuit-style Meat-only Diet.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 02:31
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

I think the most important thing to remember here is that this place is a support forum. A support Forum for LC weight loss. That means we try and support each other. ZC, Atkins, Shwartzbein...whatever you choose.

Everyone has different caloric and carb needs in order to lose weight. When I first read about ZC I thought it was very extreme, and then I started reading. A lot of it makes sense to me, some not so much. I also think there are many different plans to choose from, some more extreme than others. But I respect everyones choices here and try and support them. We are all here for the same reason.

I am a bit puzzled why anyone would care what someone else eats or does not eat, if it's a plan that they are happy with.

I truly hope everyone here finds that best plan to suit their own needs.

Last edited by y0u : Tue, Jan-13-09 at 02:37.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 04:39

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Just for the record.... We do indeed support zero/very low carbing here.

In fact one of the published plans we endorse is The Inuit-style Meat-only Diet.

Rose, thanks you are the best
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 05:05

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
"He that treats himself has a fool for a doctor."

I was a bit surprised that he would be so rude. I didn't know what to say.

You could try...

"With the proper diet, no doctor is necessary. With the improper diet, no doctor can help." - Gabriel Cousens.

Not really a fan of the man's ideas on nutrition, but the quote is fabulous.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 08:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Ugh fiber ech - I think actually that is one of the things I'm sticking with, low carb or zero carb - too much fiber does me in.

I have a few thoughts on this cravings business. Having done low-carb twice around, the second time I stuck with it because it was easy. The first time I didn't eat enough fat and I would crave stuff all the time, especially fruit. The second time i made fat my main macronutrient by far, and it changed everything.

Anyway my point is, for those that crave carbs after eating vegetables for instance - like the green beans, did you ever try eating them with tons of butter or other fat?

I'm not saying that green beans are healthy therefore you should eat them - I just wonder how many cravings are caused by not eating enough fat with the carbs etc. It is something I noticed in myself. A salad would make me hungry later but a salad with an obscene amount of fat would do the opposite. Same with green beans. A pile of beans without added fat would be low-carb suicide in terms of cravings, but add a ton of butter and deeper ketosis would result, despite eating a lot of them.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 11:17

Plan: MDA
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

[QUOTE=photocrazy
EDITED TO ADD: I also have to say, that if you are zero carbs, what fiber are you getting into your body? It is very important for the intestines, colon, etc. to have fiber. There could be very serious health consequences without fiber in your diet.[/QUOTE]

Fiber is terrible for you if you have IBS. It also causes tiny tears in the intestinal lining whether you have IBS or not. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Dr Eades at protein power has blogged on this.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 11:38
Registered Member

Stats: 169/139/115 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I think it all depends on which low carb plan your following. My first time I did Atkins 1972 which was the zero carb induction plan. Now I'm doing DADR 2002 book. I find this one to be the best for me. 20 grams of carbs on induction phase 1. Half carb must come from vegis. But good luck doing which ever plan your following. I think it's really what works for you as long as you stick to it
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 12:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy
Wow, I'm new to this board and have been a part of MANY boards before. Never have I had a problem with speaking my mind and having people be SO offended by it. Strange.
Not really strange at all... you ARE in the War Zone, after all! Gloves-on in the War Zone is not usual practice.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

No, she wasn't in the war zone. This thread was in the Newbie Questions section when it started and was moved last night/today.

I kinda feel for the OP.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 13:34

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

I really feel for the original poster -- and I didn't know this got moved. Now it turns into yet another fierce debate over LC vs. ZC. Sorry, Barrabbus. Usually things only get this crazy between different plans in the war zone -- one place I try to avoid.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 15:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
No, she wasn't in the war zone. This thread was in the Newbie Questions section when it started and was moved last night/today.

I kinda feel for the OP.
Ooops. Sorry!!
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 16:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yes, sometimes threads started elsewhere on the forum will be moved to the Low-Carb War Zone if the discussion turns into a heated debate. Check out this post, stuck at the top of this forum .. The War Zone. Please read before posting here. for more information about what the LCWZ is for

It's unfortunate that the original topic got hijacked to something else. "What is considered low-carb" is a great discussion, in fact there's an old thread in our Best Of forum (recently revived) about this same topic .. What is "low carb" ?. Interesting because the original posts are from '02, so it's great to compare opinions from now vs. then.

As for the debate about zero carbing, a new discussion thread on this topic has been started here in the LCWZ .. Is a zero cardiet sustainable?.

I personally wish everyone great success, no matter what LC program you choose to do

Doreen