Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/192/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Cool New and Ready to Rock

Hi, everyone! I am Ann, an over 30 year old mom of two!

I am starting this low carb way of life on the advice of a good friend. I have been on every diet and eating plan known to mankind and finally my friend (who is a trainer) reviewed my menus and basically said, "You are living to eat. The carbs are killing you." He's convinced my sluggishness, naps during the day, and general grouchy attitude are all symptoms of eating way too many carbs.

I have read Atkins and The Carbohydrate's Addict book and am going with Atkins. I am at the highest weight I have been in my life and am scared to death.

After making this decision, my husband told me that my weight is the reason he is not sexually attracted to me anymore. He asked me if I would want to have sex with a person who had a body like mine. I told him that I wouldn't lose an ounce for him or anyone. I've been down that road before and it's a dead end. Any amount of weight I lose is to look and feel better about myself and that's it! Period!

Well, here I am ... just starting out. I think this forum will help a lot and I get forward to knowing many of you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 07:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/204/160
BF:
Progress: 6%
Wink Welcome

Hi Ann
Welcome.
Been there done that for a husband. I know it doesn't work that way. Yes, do it for yourself. Glad to meet you. I am a mom of two teens also, 37 years old, working fulltime as well and
my husband tells me how beautiful I am and doesnt want me to lose an ounce! He is in the dark bigtime. I am doing it for me, even though discouraged, I am a thin person inside crying to come out and want to be at least 50 lbs thinner myself.
There are a lot of great people on here. I am trying to learn to use this site myself. It's tricky for me, not sure why but...
will figure it out.
How long have you been at the current weight? I am a yo yoer and am heaviest myself as well. I used to average 170 until about 2 years ago I started going up up up each year.
Anyways, nice to meet you Ann and good luck with Atkins.
There are grocery list examples and recipies and all kinds of neat things here.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 13:21
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by plshrk1
Hi Ann
Welcome.
Been there done that for a husband. I know it doesn't work that way. Yes, do it for yourself. Glad to meet you. I am a mom of two teens also, 37 years old, working fulltime as well and
my husband tells me how beautiful I am and doesnt want me to lose an ounce! He is in the dark bigtime. I am doing it for me, even though discouraged, I am a thin person inside crying to come out and want to be at least 50 lbs thinner myself.
There are a lot of great people on here. I am trying to learn to use this site myself. It's tricky for me, not sure why but...
will figure it out.
How long have you been at the current weight? I am a yo yoer and am heaviest myself as well. I used to average 170 until about 2 years ago I started going up up up each year.
Anyways, nice to meet you Ann and good luck with Atkins.
There are grocery list examples and recipies and all kinds of neat things here.

Hi, Celeste! Thanks for your reply. To tell you the truth, I knew in my heart how my husband felt, but DIDN'T know for sure. I had this feeling, but he's always supported me no matter what and this actually bothers me. I can't imagine wanting him at a thinner weight knowing he didn't want me when I was heavy. After all these years together, it just doesn't work that way for me! Whatever bond we had, he killed it, I think.
Anyhow, I have steadily gained for a few months now. I was at 150 back in June and due to just being sick of counting the calories, etc., I decided to just "wing it" and here I am -- almost 50 pounds later!
I always stayed around 150 pounds through counting every little thing, but after 13 years, I'm just sick of it. I need something a little simpler and that gives me some energy back because eating carbs just isn't doing it!
I hope to figure out all the tools here. I've read some post and really been inspired. It's after 1 here and I've had two low carb meals and I actually feel good and in control. Is this normal?
Anyhow, thanks again for responding!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's attitude - that's quite a shame. I hope you can find a way to reconnect.

You should find this forum a wonderful resource for both information and support.

Keep the Faith!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 15:55
Registered Member

Stats: 300/196/199
BF:
Progress: 103%

Sheesh, no offense but your husband sounds like an a$$. I mean, you must be a pretty forgiving person to put up with that lip. You should have a talk with my wife! If I even come close to being brutally honest, its out to the doghouse with me.

But your priorities are in order, do it for yourself, and all the benefits will come later when you can deny him of his advances!

ack, what the heck is wrong with me, I am starting to sound like a woman! I need to stop hanging out with you people.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 16:46
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess

HA! Well, guess what!? When you lose the weight (and you WILL on Atkins) he'll be barkin' up your tree again and so will about 20 other guys. Wonder who will have the last laugh?

Ok, well, anyway.....Hello, Change and welcome to our forum. As you can see you'll get lots of friendly advice and support! Even about LCing too!

This will be the easiest plan you have ever EVER been on... I've been on it for a month and I LOVE it!! I can't tell you how good I feel....even my mild depression and PMS are cured! I swear, its true.

Visit and post often....it will pay off big time!

Welcome!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 17:02
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Thank you, everyone! I have had a great first day on this program. I feel in control and I'm amazed ... by now I would have had SO many carbohydrates. I actually am baffled at not feeling tired. Ha ha!

Well, my husband IS an a$$. This is something I'm not used to though so it will take me a while to fully comprehend that he is an a$$. He married the "beauty queen with brains" and he doesn't understand that stuff happens, things change. I'm still a person with feelings though. THAT doesn't change!

Well, thank you again for the warm welcome! These boards are just incredible!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 17:07

BF:

I need to expand my hope a bit - I hope you find a way to reconnect with you husband IF and only if he is worthy of reconnecting with. And never forget that YOU are the one that gets to make that determination. Sounds like he has some fundamental changes to make before you should decide in his favor.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:26
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess

Well, forum members, whattaya think? Aren't there some people who you say to yourself, "this person's gonna do GREAT and I can't wait to watch what unfolds!!"..... here's one right here!

I just know you'll succeed beyond your expectations, ChangingMe, and I hope that you'll post often and keep us up to date!

Many blessings!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wbahn
I need to expand my hope a bit - I hope you find a way to reconnect with you husband IF and only if he is worthy of reconnecting with. And never forget that YOU are the one that gets to make that determination. Sounds like he has some fundamental changes to make before you should decide in his favor.

Well, things got a bit worse tonight. He asked me if I would want to have sex with someone that had my pants' size. I swear, this is coming out of left field, but I am not prepared or used to it. All I could do is cry, BUT somehow (I really didn't have cravings) I made it through my first day of induction! Lots of water and exercise too! No matter what ... I am just plugging along!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:33
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
Well, forum members, whattaya think? Aren't there some people who you say to yourself, "this person's gonna do GREAT and I can't wait to watch what unfolds!!"..... here's one right here!

I just know you'll succeed beyond your expectations, ChangingMe, and I hope that you'll post often and keep us up to date!

Many blessings!!

Wow, thank you so much! I hope you are right!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 22:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by ChangingMe

Well, things got a bit worse tonight. He asked me if I would want to have sex with someone that had my pants' size.

O.K.! This is ridiculous. This goes WAY beyond someone that was inappropriately too honest with a severe lack of tact. He made his point. You got his point. His position was known.

To now hit you out of left field with crap like this is just plain mean and cruel!

I'd be willing to bet that this type of behavior is far more pervasive than just this topic or these two comments as well.

Just remember - the best form of revenge is living well!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 01:27

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Girl, what in the world does pant size have to do with sex?! Unless he's doing some funky things with your clothes...absolutely nothing!! There are many men that thoroughly enjoy sex with women that have a much larger pant size than you would have. He seems to have some issues that go beyond you. DO NOT take anything he says to heart!! I'm not sure if he feels that he is in competition with his buddies, or if he has some sort of self-esteem issues or insecurities of his own, but do not let his attitude bring you down. I had a good friend that let her self-esteem go down the toilet for 8 years with a guy. It wasn't until she decided for herself that enough was enough and started doing things to make herself happy, that she truly became empowered and her whole life started to come together.

NO ONE is worth your self-esteem. NO ONE. It doesn't matter if you have their ring on your finger or their name tattooed across your buns. You know what you have to do for yourself, now do it. DO NOT do it for him, DO it for yourself. Hang around this site often...you will find all sorts of support, hints, help and general info to help you along the way.

You will find that once you start to see the results that you will start to feel better about yourself. He may come around and seem more interested again, but you may also decide that you would prefer a more unconditional love. I'm not saying end your marriage, but what i am saying is that do not get trapped in a situation where you live your life to please someone who isn't willing to do the same for you. Life is too short. Seek counselling, or even just sit down and try to get to the root of the problem. If this is an isolated incident there may be some underlying problem (totally unrelated to you) that he is facing that needs to be dealt with.

Marriage is a partnership and issues should be dealt with as a team, not in a selfish and immature manner as he has displayed. If he doesn't want to play on your team, then you're better off flying solo. (easier said than done, right?)

Chin up, and focus on you. Soon it will be you who is holding the key to the bedroom!!

All the best in your LCing and I hope things start to look up at home!

KC
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wbahn

O.K.! This is ridiculous. This goes WAY beyond someone that was inappropriately too honest with a severe lack of tact. He made his point. You got his point. His position was known.

To now hit you out of left field with crap like this is just plain mean and cruel!

I'd be willing to bet that this type of behavior is far more pervasive than just this topic or these two comments as well.

Just remember - the best form of revenge is living well!

Well, I don't really know why it has come to this point. I think he believes that now he's finally speaking the truth and has a LOT to say! I don't think my telling him that he's saying a little too much of it is really having an effect on him so against all the odds I'm doing what you say -- living well!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 08:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by slimchance
Girl, what in the world does pant size have to do with sex?! Unless he's doing some funky things with your clothes...absolutely nothing!! There are many men that thoroughly enjoy sex with women that have a much larger pant size than you would have. He seems to have some issues that go beyond you. DO NOT take anything he says to heart!!
KC

Wow, everything yo wrote makes SO much sense. I read it three times.

A good friend of mine said that he is just hurting me at this point, period! She usually can see this clearly from her view, but I just don't understand that type of behavior. I'm simply not that way with him or anyone.

I guess I don't really want revenge ... I just want to be happy with myself, gain control, and move on if that's what needs to be done. I don't want to share the bedroom with someone who has standards for being in it.

Thank you for your post. It was terrific!