Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 02:02
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default '72 Atkin's Nostalgia Dieting Buddies Group #2

Starting a new thread as Rosebud advised!

1972 Atkins Diet Revolution Rules

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don’t count calories
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie-free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.

Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine , oils, shortening , lard & mayonnaise.
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

What Happens After The First Week’s Diet. Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.

I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a liveable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.

How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the ketostix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.

The Second Level: Cheesecake for dessert? At each level, remember you add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most people agree the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese…

The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus; Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

Sample menu, level one:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with spicy ham, Diet revolution roll and butter, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Cold cuts sandwich on Diet revolution Roll w/ mayo or mustard, 1 cup of salad (loosely packed), oil & vinegar, or a dressing from the recipe list, Raspberry gelatin, Diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Chicken soup with Matzoh Balls, Your favorite cut of steak, Caesar salad with Caesar Salad dressing, Gelatin, diet soda, coffee or tea
Snack: baken-ets, stuffed celery, diet soda.

Sample menu, level two:
Breakfast: Lox and stuffed onion omelet, caraway Diet revolution Roll with cream cheese, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Avocado stuffed with crabmeat, Tossed green salad with dressing from recipe list, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Mixed grill with garlic Butter Sauce or Béarnaise Sauce, Tossed salad with French Dressing, Gelatin Parfait with whipped cream, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Snack: Assorted smoked fish, Hard cheese, Diet soda

Links to previous threads:
'72 Thread #1

Last edited by Kisal : Sat, Dec-06-08 at 17:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 07:37

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 214/214/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for starting the new post Kisal. I hope everyone is doing well today. I am at a standstill but I keep on going.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 08:02

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 252/158/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 88%

On to a second thread!!!!! I am back on track (day 2)!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

I'm really depressed about the whole thing. Think I'm just going to do the best I can (hopefully, sort of a WOE phase) until after the holidays. Then get busy and read my '72 book and try Induction again. I did join the fitness center, so I AM trying to get into the exercise habit again, although I have to say - I dread it. I really HATE the whole time spent exercising.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 09:07

Plan: my own/atkins 72ish
Stats: 187/153/137 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI goal<22
Progress: 68%

I am up two pounds after a week's vacation and Thanksgiving, but still on plan.

Had some problems with hunger yesterday. Hoping clean eating will resolve some of that.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 15:28
Never Give Up!

BF:

I couldn't sleep last night, so I ate like a pig. Up to 245.

Don't quite know what to do. I'll be talking to my doctor later. I'm blaming all my ills on this new med he put me on!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 17:05

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I was up 7lbs then weighed today and was down 2lbs and of course its water but I'll take it!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 17:18

Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Up to 197...not tooooo bad considering the holiday week last week, and then finishing off all that Thanksgiving food. My concern right now is making it through the baking routine. I send cookies and other things to our kids who live out of town for Christmas. I also have goodies for neighbors and drop ins. It is so hard, but I plan to take it one day at a time and just get through the month of December. I am just going to think POSITIVE!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 17:02

Plan: Dukan Diet
Stats: 209/198.5/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Well I'm back on track after Thanksgiving. I decided to do a 27-day challenge until Christmas day. I started Saturday 11/29 and intend to stick to my plan until Christmas day. I'm hoping this will help keep me from the constant snacking on sweets that happens this time of year. Otherwise the few days of Thanksgiving can turn into 6 weeks of eating high carb and a whole lotta weight gain!

I was eating dinner with a friend this weekend and he told me he doesn't really like sweets. I was shocked, I don't understand how such a thing is possible, how can one not like sweets? He confessed that if he opens a bag of Oreos he will eat the whole bag, so instead he tells himself & the world, that he 'doesn't really like sweets'. He never let's himself start eating them. He's in great shape and has never had a weight problem so I was surprised to hear that he gives such thought to how he eats. I guess I always assumed that people who've never had a weight problem are somehow born with some magical ability that allows them not to think about what they put in their mouths, but nevertheless stay the same size. Turns out he just has better control than I do!

I like his strategy of developing a mantra to convince himself he doesn't like sweets. I'm going to repeat the following in my head until I start to believe it. Well all but the 2nd line is true. Hopefully by surrounding it with true statements, my mind will start to accept it as truth as well.

Sweets make me sick
Sweet tastes are unpalatable
I like the savory taste of meats and vegetables
I prefer the taste of fresh whole foods
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 17:06

Plan: Dukan Diet
Stats: 209/198.5/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaDoIt!
Up to 197...not tooooo bad considering the holiday week last week, and then finishing off all that Thanksgiving food. My concern right now is making it through the baking routine. I send cookies and other things to our kids who live out of town for Christmas. I also have goodies for neighbors and drop ins. It is so hard, but I plan to take it one day at a time and just get through the month of December. I am just going to think POSITIVE!!!!!

Wow, good luck! I made a red velvet cake for thanksgiving and ate quite a bit of it. There was a third of the cake left on Friday so I covered it with saran wrap then I went out that afternoon. When I came back I discovered my black labrador ate it!!! There wasn't a single crumb anywhere, just an empty plate on the floor! I was so mad, but at least I didn't eat anymore of the cake myself
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 18:13
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_metro
... I discovered my black labrador ate it!!! There wasn't a single crumb anywhere, just an empty plate on the floor! I was so mad, but at least I didn't eat anymore of the cake myself
Gee! I have that same "brand" of " automatic food disposal." They're very efficient, aren't they!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 09:48

Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

bk metro - I think the choice of "eating or not eating red velvet cake" was taken away in the nick of time! Your dog had to have had the best sugar high of the season! I love red velvet cake too!

Thanks for the cute story!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 13:13
Never Give Up!

BF:

I'm being evil and contributing to the delinquency of my '72 Buddies! The next time you crave Red Velvet Cake, you might want to try one of these LC versions. (I haven't tested either one, BTW.) It appears the first recipe might be slightly higher in carbs than the second, but the second has the slight disadvantage of requiring some less-than-common ingredients.

Low-Carb Luxury Red Velvet Cake

• 1 cup oat flour
• 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten flour
• 1 cup almond flour
• 1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa
• 1 Tablespoon baking powder
• 1 cup Splenda
• 1/2 cup Erythritol
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 8 large egg whites (at room temperature)
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
• 1/2 cup soured cream
~ (make "sour" with vinegar — see directions.)
• 4 large egg yolks
• 1/3 cup oil
• 2 1/2 Tablespoons red food color
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon liquid sweetener

Grease and flour (use gluten flour or oat flour) two 8" or 9" round cake pans. Preheat oven to 325°F. 

In large mixing bowl, sift together oat flour, gluten flour, almond flour, granulated Splenda, Erythritol, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside. 

In another large bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Pause and sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, then continue beating until stiff peaks form. 

In a small bowl, mix cold water with egg yolks and whisk well. Add oil, vanilla extract and liquid sweetener. Mix cream with vinegar in a small cup to get a mock-sour effect. Then add red food color and stir well. Mix into egg yolk mixture and incorporate fully. 

Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture and beat till smooth. 

Add 1/2 of the whipped egg whites to the batter mixture and beat again until well blended (but no more than a minute.) 

Then carefully add batter to remainder of whipped egg whites and mix gently using a rubber/plastic spatula, being careful not to break down whites, until batter is fully incorporated. 

Pour into cake pans evenly and bake at 325°F for 20-30 minutes turning half-way through. Keep an eye on them and don't over bake. Baking time can vary a bit depending on oven, elevation, etc. Cake is done when lightly golden brown on top and puffed and cracked at edges. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool on cake racks. When fully cool, assemble and frost with your favorite low-carb frosting or use the following:

White Frosting:
4 oz.package of cream cheese,at room temperature 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened 1/2 teaspoon white vanilla (to keep frosting pure white) or regular vanilla for a "cream" color
!/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Whip all ingredients together until smooth. Frost cake as usual. 

Net grams of carbohydrate in whole cake: 110. Cut into 20 pieces for 5.5 net grams of carbohydrate per slice or 16 pieces for 6.8 net grams of carbohydrate per slice. ========================================
Vhodgkin's Love and Kisses Red Velvet Cake
(Recipe from Low Carb Friends forum.)

1 ½ cup carbalose flour
1/4 cup polyD
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup Erythritol
8 large egg whites (at room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup cold water
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup soured cream
(make "sour" with vinegar — see directions.)
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup chocolate Davinci's
1 1/8 tsp liquid Splenda
2 1/2 Tablespoons red food color
Grease and flour (use carbalose flour) two 8" or 9" round cake pans. Preheat oven to 325°F.

In large mixing bowl, sift together flour, polyD, almond flour, Erythritol, baking powder, soda, and cocoa. Set aside.

In another large bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Pause and sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, then continue beating until stiff peaks form.

In a small bowl, mix cold water with egg yolks and whisk well. Add oil, vanilla extract, davinci's and liquid sweetener. Mix sour cream with vinegar in a small cup to get a mock-sour effect. Then add red food color and stir well. Mix into egg yolk mixture and incorporate fully.

Add egg yolk mixture to dry mixture and beat till smooth.

Add 1/2 of the whipped egg whites to the batter mixture and beat again until well blended (but no more than a minute.)

Then carefully add batter to remainder of whipped egg whites and mix gently using a rubber/plastic spatula, being careful not to break down whites, until batter is fully incorporated.

Pour into cake pans evenly and bake at 325°F for 20-30 minutes turning half-way through. Cake is done when lightly golden brown on top and puffed and cracked at edges. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool on cake racks. When fully cool, assemble and frost with your favorite low-carb frosting or use the following:

White Frosting:
4 oz. package of cream cheese – at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 tsp liquid Splenda
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Whip all ingredients together until smooth. Frost cake as usual.
(Unknown carb count.)
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 09:40

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Kisal,

You are an evil, evil, mean woman!! If I can get my lazy, tired azz in gear I just might make this, maybe. But, it sounds sooooo good!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 15:10
Never Give Up!

BF:

Yep! I routinely contribute to the delinquency of low carbers!