Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 20:52
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderella

The most amazing is the moodiness, I was really bitchy and cranky most of the time, probably from lack of sleep. But now I can laugh and be fun to be around.

^^^^^That too
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Okay, you ladies have convinced. I found a naturopathic doctor who does bio-ident and I am seeing him for thyroid. I think I'll try the BHRT too. The thyroid is definitely helping but I'm still not really losing weight and my energy isn't exactly abundant, it is somewhat better though.

I'm 51 and peri-meno. Sx so far are: palps and a bit of dizziness. I've become extremely sensitive to caffeine so I'm working on getting off that.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Jul-01-10 at 09:38.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 09:42
Every day is day one

BF:

Do you know yet which he is going to use for you?

Keep us posted.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 10:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Do you know yet which he is going to use for you?

Keep us posted.

No, just decided this morning to expand the list of topics I'm pursuing. Do you have any recommendations?

Last time I did this (years ago), I believe I was taking DHEA, test. and progesterone. The test. was cream form (used vaginally) and the progesterone was sublingual.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: EFGT
Stats: 152/124/118 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I found that I was pretty sensitive to BHRT, especially the estrogen component so I started taking a half dose and along with my imported Armour, I can't sit for very long. I just gotta get up and move!! In a good way! I'm getting alot done.

Nancy, my BHRT is all a cream you rub on your arms in the evening (make sure it's before bedtime). I take Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA. I found I was getting tired and foggy because my estrogen was too high so we cut the dose. I started feeling better so I thought, hey, lets go lower and see what happens so I started to take half of my prescribed dose and we have a winner!!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-10, 12:27

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default it might be an idea to get your adrenal hormones checked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Okay, you ladies have convinced. I found a naturopathic doctor who does bio-ident and I am seeing him for thyroid. I think I'll try the BHRT too. The thyroid is definitely helping but I'm still not really losing weight and my energy isn't exactly abundant, it is somewhat better though.

I'm 51 and peri-meno. Sx so far are: palps and a bit of dizziness. I've become extremely sensitive to caffeine so I'm working on getting off that.

Hi Nancy,

I'm extremely jealous that you have found a naturopathic doctor who does bio-identical hormone replacement therapy!!!

When you get an appointment, I would also ask him to run tests for your cortisol and aldosterone levels, too. It sounds to me like you could possibly have an issue with high cortisol levels and worn-out adrenals.

One symptom of high cortisol levels is weight gain around the midsection, which I remember you mentioned in one of your recent posts.

Dizziness can also be caused by problems with your aldosterone levels and can be helped with a dose of salt!!! Try adding a quarter teaspoon of salt to some water, or just eat it off a spoon and wash it down with water. It can really give you a boost if you your electrolyte levels are a bit out of whack.

Low energy levels can be a symptom of low magnesium. I know you take supplements, but maybe you have absorption problems due to celiac disease. It is notoriously difficult to absorb the Mg in supplements. If you have any alcohol or caffeine, this will make you piddle it out, too.

The low energy could also be caused by worn-out adrenals. If they simply can't produce enough adrenaline any more to keep you going through the day, then this could also be the reason for your tiredness.

They test cortisol levels with saliva tests, so it can't be too expensive and certainly isn't painful. I guess that aldosterone is tested via a blood test.

Dr Diana Schwarzbein recommends that you "fix" your adrenals before moving on to bio-identical hormone replacement. She is based in Santa Barbara, by the way: is that anywhere near you???

This article talks about the link between being hypothyroid and having weak adrenals. You might find this interesting:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co.../weak-adrenals/

amanda
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/131/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default bioidentical

I'm on hormone replacement. I take pharmaceutically produced hormones which are "bioidentical" but also tested, FDA approved, etc. I take estradiol and prometrium. I don't want to sound cynical or to offend anyone who's taking the compounded stuff but I really don't think there's any advantage to that and possibly disadvantages.

That said, I was going to post on my weight loss/hormone issues and since there are a lot of people on this thread doing hrt, let me post it here.

I lost about 10 pounds when I went from a low-carb diet to a much lower carb diet. Fact is, I've been stalled for months now. I'm not really overweight, I guess I'd like to lose 5 more pounds, but I can't understand why I'm eating so many less carbs and not losing any weight.

My hormone regimen is 1 mg of estradiol every day and 2 prometriums (double dose) for 12 days every 2 months. When I take the prometrium, I lose another couple of pounds but then when I go off of it, I gain it all back.

I'm drinking diet soda and I eat 1 chocoperfection, low-carb bar a day. Other than that, and 1 or 2 ounces of cashews a day, I'm practically on Atkins induction.

Any ideas?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 10:41
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Dr Diana Schwarzbein recommends that you "fix" your adrenals before moving on to bio-identical hormone replacement. She is based in Santa Barbara, by the way: is that anywhere near you???

No, it's about a 7-8 hour drive I think.

I may well have an adrenal issue. I'm kind of thinking the naturopathic doctor I have is a bit clueless about them though.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 08:54
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon2
I'm on hormone replacement. I take pharmaceutically produced hormones which are "bioidentical" but also tested, FDA approved, etc. I take estradiol and prometrium. I don't want to sound cynical or to offend anyone who's taking the compounded stuff but I really don't think there's any advantage to that and possibly disadvantages.

That said, I was going to post on my weight loss/hormone issues and since there are a lot of people on this thread doing hrt, let me post it here.

I lost about 10 pounds when I went from a low-carb diet to a much lower carb diet. Fact is, I've been stalled for months now. I'm not really overweight, I guess I'd like to lose 5 more pounds, but I can't understand why I'm eating so many less carbs and not losing any weight.

My hormone regimen is 1 mg of estradiol every day and 2 prometriums (double dose) for 12 days every 2 months. When I take the prometrium, I lose another couple of pounds but then when I go off of it, I gain it all back.

I'm drinking diet soda and I eat 1 chocoperfection, low-carb bar a day. Other than that, and 1 or 2 ounces of cashews a day, I'm practically on Atkins induction.

Any ideas?

I'll post the same as I did on another HRT thread...

It could be the type of estrogen and the amount....

It could be that a therapy containing to much Estradiol could be causing your side effect.

It may be that you need a different balance of estrogens...not all estrogens are created equally.

I use a combo of Estradiol, Estrone, and Estriol (Tri-Est) with the Estriol 80% of the compound and the Estradiol and Estrone as 10% each. I don't have a uterus so I don't NEED to have progesteron but it also contributes to the feeling of well-being.

I don't know about compounders in your state, but the compounder here in Oregon that I use (I have a very close relationship with him because I use him not just personally for my bHRT but for other compounded medications for patients in my practice) have much more stringent specifications for purity and error than the FDA--the specs that the compounder has to follow are unbelievable. Do I worry about the purity and margin of error of my compounded medication...not so much because I know the rigorous specs that have to be followed.

The advantage of a compounded medication...particularly hormones is that the ratio/formulation can be adjusted if needed.

I should say also...before using compounded bHRT, I used everything every pharm company ever sampled a GYN office....pill, cream, mist, patch, vag insert etc. NOTHING worked. NOTHING. I was a HRT experiment of 1. I decided to become a compounded bHRT experiment of 1 over a year ago. I figured what did I have to lose.....apparently nothing becuase I have had nothing but success since day 3 of therapy.

You can be cynical. I'm probably the biggest. I can't say that it would be for everyone, or work for everyone. I can only say that it worked for me beautifully. Like I tell my patients--you don't know until you try.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-10, 05:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the response Lisa. Are you a doctor? What's the difference between Estradiol, Estrone and Estriol and how would you know which one is best for you?

One doctor did give me a cream but I have a 15-year-old son who's still growing and I didn't want him to be exposed to estrogen.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-10, 05:05
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sorry - looked up your biography! Did you know that your goal weight is higher than your actual weight now?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-10, 08:28
Every day is day one

BF:

I don't know anything about this doctor or his clinic, but this is a very nice explanation:

http://www.tahomaclinic.com/hotflashes.shtml

I guess I'm confused re: the hormone cream. Any exposure to your 15 year old would be minimal to none at best. Unless he were using it himself there shouldn't be any risk to his health.

I am surprised as you that my weight (almost effortlessly) slipped past my goal. This was with combo LC and bHRT that I started over a year ago last May.

Aint' it grand!!

50. The new 30
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 06:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I'm going to print it out and see what my gynecologist says. I have been getting Estradiol from the UK as Elleste Solo so they do use it in Europe.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 10:11

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks for starting this thread, Nancy.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 10:30
Experimenter

BF:

I'm still futzing around with my thyroid. I feel pretty good on 2 grains, a bit hyper on 2.5. I think my next task is figuring out the bio-ident stuff.