Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 03:56
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Alzheimer's, the relevance of Low Carbohydrate eating.

In this thread on another board I've listed some of the evidence supporting the use of Low Carbohydrate eating regimes either to prevent, delay or slow the progress of dementia.

It is still very early days in this research area but as one of the first detectable changes in brain chemistry linked to Alzheimers is a decrease in brain glucose metabolism in the area linked to memory, abnormal sugar metabolism and the development of Alzheimer's is something that needs watching.

If we are going to help people with Alzheimer's stabilise their condition or better still prevent the onset of the condition, surely the best way is to correct insulin resistance in the body/brain by reducing dependence on refined carbohydrates and preventing leptin resistance by reducing high fructose corn syrup and other excessive fructose consumption. Alongside that strategy insulin resistant brains need an alternative fuel source such as ketone bodies that can be encouraged by the consumption of coconut oil or other Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) oil.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:

Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease.
OBJECTIVE: Subjects with diabetes are reported to have an increased risk of dementia and cognitive impairment. However, the underlying causes remain unknown. We investigated the longitudinal associations between midlife insulin secretion, glucose metabolism, and the subsequent development of Alzheimer disease (AD) and dementia. METHODS: The population-based Uppsala Longitudinal Study of Adult Men started 1970 when the 2,322 participants were 50 years old. Investigation at baseline included determinations of acute insulin response and glucose tolerance using the IV glucose tolerance test and Homeostasis Model Assessment insulin resistance index. During a median follow up of 32 years, 102 participants were diagnosed with AD, 57 with vascular dementia, and 394 with any dementia or cognitive impairment. Associations were analyzed using Cox proportional hazard models. RESULTS: A low insulin response at baseline was associated with a higher cumulative risk of AD (hazard ratio for 1 SD decrease, 1.31; 95% CI, 1.10-1.56) also after adjustment for age, systolic blood pressure, body mass index, serum cholesterol, smoking, education level, and insulin resistance. This association was stronger in subjects without the APOE epsilon4 allele. Impaired glucose tolerance increased the risk of vascular dementia (hazard ratio for 1 SD decrease, 1.45; 95% CI, 1.05-2.00) but not AD. Impaired insulin secretion, glucose intolerance, and estimates of insulin resistance were all associated with higher risk of any dementia and cognitive impairment. CONCLUSIONS: In this longitudinal study, impaired acute insulin response at midlife was associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer disease (AD) up to 35 years later suggesting a causal link between insulin metabolism and the pathogenesis of AD.

My emphasis.
It's this kind of evidence that suggests getting control of insulin and sorting out insulin resistance now by adopting a low carbohydrate lifestyle (not just as a temporary weight loss diet) may well be in our best interests.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 08:27
Registered Member

BF:

Central obesity and increased risk of dementia more than three decades later.CONCLUSIONS: Central obesity in midlife increases risk of dementia independent of diabetes and cardiovascular comorbidities. Fifty percent of adults have central obesity; therefore, mechanisms linking central obesity to dementia need to be unveiled.

Unfortunately I can't get the full text of either of these papers but the message is fairly clear.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think that the use of ketones for brain diseases is really interesting.

Oh, I posted this yesterday about a vitamin that cures alzheimer's tangles in mice.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 11:45
Registered Member

BF:

World's Healthiest foods magnesium foodsources A quick look at this shows that low carbohydrate eating fits in very well with obtaining optimum amounts of B3 from food.

Heartscanblog Niacin B3 information Pay particular interest to what Dr Davis has to say on NO FLUSH niacin.
There are plenty of sources of cheap slo release Dr Davis suggests to raise HDL
Doses of 500-1500 mg per day raise HDL 20–50%; work with your doctor if you are contemplating niacin.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 12:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Alzheimer's: Power lines double the risk

I'm sorry this is off topic as far as low carb is concerned by it is related to Alzheimer's and people interested in reducing the risk of dementia really need information on all possible approaches.

Residence Near Power Lines and Mortality From Neurodegenerative Diseases: Longitudinal Study of the Swiss Population.
The relation between residential magnetic field exposure from power lines and mortality from neurodegenerative conditions was analyzed among 4.7 million persons of the Swiss National Cohort (linking mortality and census data), covering the period 2000-2005. Cox proportional hazard models were used to analyze the relation of living in the proximity of 220-380 kV power lines and the risk of death from neurodegenerative diseases, with adjustment for a range of potential confounders. Overall, the adjusted hazard ratio for Alzheimer's disease in persons living within 50 m of a 220-380 kV power line was 1.24 (95% confidence interval (CI): 0.80, 1.92) compared with persons who lived at a distance of 600 m or more. There was a dose-response relation with respect to years of residence in the immediate vicinity of power lines and Alzheimer's disease: Persons living at least 5 years within 50 m had an adjusted hazard ratio of 1.51 (95% CI: 0.91, 2.51), increasing to 1.78 (95% CI: 1.07, 2.96) with at least 10 years and to 2.00 (95% CI: 1.21, 3.33) with at least 15 years. The pattern was similar for senile dementia. There was little evidence for an increased risk of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, or multiple sclerosis.

For those who find research findings difficult to understand, this study of the 4.7million Swiss population, reports that those who live within 50 meters of a 220-380 kV power lines power line have double the risk of Alzheimer's if they stay there for more than 15yrs.

Even 5yrs living in close proximity to a power cable increases the risk of Alzheimer's and dementia significantly compared to those who live 600 mts or more away.

12/11/2008 - Living close to a powerline can double your chance of dying from Alzheimer's Disease This Powerwatch article is a reasonably informed discussion of the findings. From it I quote Professor Matthias Egger also warned that sleeping in power-frequency magnetic fields from any source probably presents a dementia risk. He said: "Anything that is plugged in and that is on all the time and that is near to your body is a source of EMF".

There may be a solution though
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 12:30

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Here is an article I wrote not to long ago that goes along with this topic...

"Carbohydrates Clog Your Brain"
http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...Clog-Your-Brain
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 04:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Here is an article I wrote not to long ago that goes along with this topic...

"Carbohydrates Clog Your Brain"
http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...Clog-Your-Brain
The Anti-Alzheimer's Prescription: The Science-Proven Plan to Start at Any Age Thanks for that, Vincent Fortanasce has written a book on the same lines as Dr McCleary's Brain Trust Program explaining how we should be able to prevent 70% of Alzheimer's by applying current knowledge and/or delay the onset by 10~15yrs which would also make a huge difference.

The most helpful review of Fortanasce's book provides the following information
The 4-Step Anti-Alzheimer's Plan:

1. Diet-- Key Buzz Words: turmeric, soy, omega-3 fatty acids, berries, tomatoes, nuts, beans, green tea, reservatrol, fish, DHA, whole grains; avoid simple carbohydrates like refined starches and concentrated sugars; eat thirds of good fats (olives, flaxseed, nuts, avocado, cold water fish), lean protein, and complex carbs; eat on the low glycemic index--control your blood sugar; eat antioxidants which will improve your cognitive function.
2. Daily aerobics and anaerobics for the body and mind--exercise makes the brain bigger and better, increases the body's metabolic rate and muscle mass; exercise reduces stress, anxiety and depression (boosting mood), and stimulates neurotransmitter production. Includes flexibility stretches with how-to illustrations.
3. Daily neurobics to build the brain reserve--use your mind; learn how we make and retrieve memories; parts of the brain and usage identified. "Patients with Alzheimer's may lose 3 to 5% of their brain volume per year." Neurobics means giving the brain a real workout every day. Neurobics helps maintain mental capabilities. Examples: practice repetition of numbers, lists, routes, dance steps, word definitions; balance your checkbook, read subtitles of foreign films, play chess. The loss of smell begins at age 40 and could be the harbinger of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
4. Rest and recovery--"uncontrollable chronic stress destroys the brain"--signs given; meditation, relaxation, prayer, coping skills, necessicity of sleep, social circle strengthening, laughter, music, medication, elimination of stressors, forgiveness--"A study at Hope College in Michigan showed a 30% decrease in mortality in those who learn to forgive."

Watching his own father decline, Dr. Fortanasce states, "I wish I could have helped my own father and my Italian relatives who died with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease." In a chapter on the explanation and warning signs of Alzheimer's, the author continues that he has seen the disease erase the memories of Fortune 500 CEOs, Silicon Valley executives, trial attorneys, police officers, and even fellow physicians. Many of these fearful patients are aware that they're alone, and perhaps abandoned by their families. Medical costs for Alzheimer's drugs continues to rise, putting some into debt. Though more prevalent in women, Dr. Fortanasce writes that there is no cure, but longevity and independence are achievable today with prevention.

Alzheimer's Risk Factors:

* Obesity
* Hypertension
* Abnormal Lipids
* Type-2 Diabetes
* Chronic Stress
* Sleep Disorders
* Environmental Factors

The Anti-Alzheimer's Prescription includes tips to begin in childhood, 6 pages of references, appendixes with Strength Fitness Tests, a Body Mass Index Evaluation tool, a 28-day menu plan for 2,000 calories a day and 40 sample recipes. Examples to try: Blueberry Apple Muffins, Spice of Life (spice mixture), and Brain-Boosting Berry Smoothie.

Some points to consider from Dr. Fortanasce to help begin the prevention of Alzheimer's:

* Eat more fruits and vegetables
* Eat berries daily
* Eat fish high in omega-3 fatty acids
* Take a folic acid supplement or eat foods high in folate: green leafy vegetables, asparagus, oranges, eggs, legumes, fortified cereal
* Drink a glass of red wine or purple grape juice with your evening meal
* Follow a Mediterranean-style diet
* Control your blood pressure
* Have strong social support

Alzheimer's and the erasure of memories is devastating both to the individual who develops the disease and his or her family. Prevention is key. Even with a genetic predisposition, the disease may be delayed. My grandmother is one of these individuals who saw her own mother and now her sister decline into Alzheimer's. At 92, she herself is still a walking, living example of one who has actively followed the precepts set forth by Dr. Fortanasce. No matter your age, read The Anti-Alzheimer's Prescription. Inside the covers, you'll find hope.

My concern would be the use of soy, while I think fermented soy may be OK I'm still not convinced it's a healthy food. I also share your concerns about whole grains though there also, fermenting them may be a safer option.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 08:01

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I agree with you about soy. Not only do I doubt it is a health food, unless it is fermented, I don't consider it food at all
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 14:45
Registered Member

BF:

A ketogenic diet reduces amyloid beta 40 and 42 in a mouse model of Alzheimer's diseasePrevious studies have suggested that diets rich in cholesterol and saturated fats increased the deposition of Aβ and the risk of developing AD. Here we demonstrate that a diet rich in saturated fats and low in carbohydrates can actually reduce levels of Aβ. Therefore, dietary strategies aimed at reducing Aβ levels should take into account interactions of dietary components and the metabolic outcomes, in particular, levels of carbohydrates, total calories, and presence of ketone bodies should be considered.
The full text is online and it's worth reading the whole paper.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 14:49
Registered Member

BF:

Carbohydrate-Induced Memory Impairment in Adults With Type 2 DiabetesIn adults with type 2 diabetes, poorer glycemic control is associated with lower performance on tests of declarative memory. Acute ingestion of high glycemic index carbohydrate foods further contributes to the underlying memory impairment.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 15:10
Registered Member

BF:

DIABETES MELLITUS, DEMENTIA, AND COGNITIVE FUNCTION
IN OLDER PERSONS
Dementia and cognitive decline are among the most common and most feared conditions of old age making the identification of modifiable risk factors for dementia an urgent public health priority. Recently, an increasing body of data suggests that type 2 diabetes mellitus, a common condition in older persons, is associated with the development of dementia and cognitive decline. A systematic review of the medical literature of the past 15 years identified 40 original-report articles in the English language pertaining to the relation of diabetes to dementia and cognitive function in older persons. Most, but not all, of these studies suggest a detrimental effect of diabetes on cognitive function. Current research efforts are aimed at understanding the underlying neurobiologic mechanisms whereby diabetes causes dementia and cognitive impairment in order to develop
rational interventions to prevent this recently documented adverse consequence.

Again the full text is online and reading it all gives you a better understanding of the possible ways insulin levels impact on the brain.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 08:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think this thread applies to anyone who feels their memory isn't what it should be, or that their brain functioning is impaired.

I went through a terrible period of brain fog, even after going low carb. It wasn't until I got off gluten that that cleared up.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Indeed at this paper shows ageing is accompanied by a low-grade chronic up-regulation of certain pro-inflammatory responses......Although conditions of enhanced innate immune response with overproduction of pro-inflammatory proteins are associated with both healthy aging and AD, it is suggested that those who age "well" demonstrate anti-inflammaging mechanisms and biomarkers that likely counteract the adverse immunity of inflammaging. Thus, opposing the features of inflammaging may prevent or treat the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease...

I know I keep on about it but correcting Vit d3, omega 3, magnesium insufficiency states is fairly cheap and dead easy. If we also cut down the pro inflammatory affects of leptin and Obesity, Inflammation, and Insulin Resistance
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-08, 14:22
Registered Member

BF:
Default Alzheimers and ketones

Alzheimers and ketones Hyperlipids comment on the use of coconut oil is worth reading.