Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 19:00
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Trampolines

I just wanted to suggest to anyone bored with their routine, or anyone having a hard time targeting their midsection...buy yourself a trampoline. I am a regular runner (run 2 miles everyday) and lift weights everyday. But yesterday afternoon, I took a day off. I was outside with the kids, and decided to join them inside their huge trampoline. This was the first time I was ever "in shape" enough to stay on for more than a few minutes. We jumped around and had a great time for about 30 minutes of continuous jumping. OMG, I am sooooo sore today. My obliques and tummy are the worst. I could barely get out of bed this morning. A very fun workout too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 21:09
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Plus the bigger bonus you got to have fun playing with the kids. I bet they had more fun then you did. Congrats...Bru
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 06:45
Never Give Up!!

BF:

You are so right Bru - they had a blast. Plus, they were great motivators - everytime I said, "ok thats enough, I'm gonna get out" - they wouldn't let me I love that I can be active with the kids now. It's just too bad it's getting so cold in Wisconsin already. Its 26 degrees out right now
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 08:17
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Marcia Mae now its time to invest in a Wii the kids love the sports, and dance, dance whatever its called they have a ball. My granddaughter gets mad at me because I score a younger fitness level then she does on the Wii and she hates to lose. When she beats me I never here the end, so I have to keep in practice so I don't lose. For a fat guy I have very good hand eye coordination, thats how I beat her. Shes a little hard body, plays basketball (last time I shoot against her I never scored a point, I set up a net in our court yard for her), runs, takes care of all her farm animals. Lots of fun just getting to play with a 16 year old granddaughter, shes a great kid, straight A's in school, shes into 4H and FFA big time. Can you tell I'm a proud grandpa? Have a ball with the kids while you can, they grow up to quickly. Take care...Bru
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 11:28
Never Give Up!!

BF:

We have a Wii, and it IS a blast - we love it. Recently we bought the Wii Fit and the kids laugh their butts off when my Mii weighs in, because she starts out stick skinny, but then fattens up after it actually weighs me. I don't think it's quite as hilarious as them (that my mii is fat). But yeah, I know what you mean about spending a lot of time with your kids. My oldest is 14 and she's spending more and more time with her friends instead of her family. My youngest is 12 but he is developmentally delayed, so he still loves spending every minute with his momma and ESPECIALLY his grandparents.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 11:59
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

I'm going to have to try the new Wii fit, sounds like fun. Sounds like you have a great family. My 16 year old granddaughter is getting very independent. She still likes to spend the day with grandpa going to the movies and shopping. They do make it over a few times a week to visit also. But between her animals; 3 steers, horse, 8 dogs, 7 cats, ducks, chickens, geese, turkeys, and a goat, she is a busy girl. Her show steers she walks and baths daily. Than add sports on top of that. I try to make every game, think I missed 2 last year, not going to miss any this year. Family is tops! Enjoy those kids, I'll look for Wii fit today, Thanks...Bru
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 12:14

Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

So, do you think the mini trampolines are actually useful equipment?
I am having a terrible time getting myself to exercise. I've gotten this mental attitude that I hate it and just can't make myself do any exercise anymore. But if I thought simply jumping on that little thing would take fat off my mid-section (which is where I need to loose it), then I could maybe force myself to do it a few minutes a day.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 12:27
Never Give Up!!

BF:

catsrus, the trampoline i was on was a big one with a net, so 3 of us were jumping at the same time. i never tried the small 1 person trampoline, but i am sure it would give you the same results, maybe not as fun though. i always wanted to buy one, their not expensive, under $50 at walmart. i'd just be afraid of accidentally jumping off of it and killing myself, or jumping into the ceiling. Watching tv and jumping may not be a bad idea. BTW, my abs are still sore from Sunday.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 12:28
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

catsrus I think any kind of movement is good for you. Look for something you like, dancing, trampoline, a dvd, Wii, what ever it is you like to do, even gardening, walking a new puppy (great way to meet people), what ever you like. I don't think you can force your self to like any exercise. You can force your self to do the exercise and get hooked on the feeling you get from it. The secret is to find what you like to do and just do it! Hope this answer helps a little, best of luck...Bru
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 13:38

MM - were you primarily just jumping on the big one, or were you doing summersaults & things that you couldn't do on a small one. The ceiling factor is a problem - maybe until it gets really cold, I could jump in the garage. I had bought one once, but when I tried to put it together it was bent (defective) so I returned it and decided I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.
I guess I don't see how the ab muscles are involved in jumping. Anyone know the answer?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 17:26
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Marcia Mae took the wife for a road trip today. Saw the Wii Fit, at my size I could not find a weight rating so I passed on it. Might call them and see what they say. At 420 I think I might kill that piece of plastic. It did look really fun. Thanks ...Bru

catsrus when jumping or any stability exercise you use a lot of core muscle (ab's and some lower back) thats why Marcia Mae's ab's hurt. Just try to find something you like to do, easier said than done. If you like it you will do it! Best of luck...Bru
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 20:33
Never Give Up!!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
MM - were you primarily just jumping on the big one, or were you doing summersaults & things that you couldn't do on a small one. The ceiling factor is a problem - maybe until it gets really cold, I could jump in the garage. I had bought one once, but when I tried to put it together it was bent (defective) so I returned it and decided I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.
I guess I don't see how the ab muscles are involved in jumping. Anyone know the answer?

No summersaults for me...I was afraid I'd break my back. I was just jumping around, sometimes I would bounce off my butt or knees, but nothing fancy. Maybe my abs hurt so much because we were laughing so hard at eachother. I can really feel it in my lower and side ab muscles. Just like what Bru said, jumping must get at the core. I guess if I were to go back out there, I could tell for sure what muscles are being worked, if its the same ones that still hurt. But it's dark out and 25 degrees right now. I hope it's warmer tomorrow.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 22:54

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

I just wanted to say that with a rebounder you would have to work REALLY hard to jump high enough to reach your ceiling.

Here's a youtube, very enthusiastic lady....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LIDlXtbFUw

But don't order that one! You can get it at Walmart for $36.85

I may get one for in the house. We have a trampoline, but it's an outside one. And, aside from being cold, I end up getting shocked by static electricity!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 06:52

Wow! Thank you for that link. I see some of them have a bar across. I hope I can find one like that (without paying too much). I'm going to see what WalMart has this weekend.
I'm sure I would hit the ceiling jumping on it in the basement though, which is where I normally exercise and where my DVD access is. So then, that means I have to just learn a routine or something to do on it, without means of video or DVD.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 08:16

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

For some reason, there aren't many basements in Fl. (Could be a water issue) So, I didn't think about that. We did have a church with a basement, so yes their ceiling was quite low.

As to exercises though. That youtube video showed her just sitting and bouncing. And doing sit ups. Probably the sit up benefits would be similar to using one of those balls.

You could possibly stand and march "in place" too. If they showed that on the youtube, sorry, I didn't watch the whole thing last night. I am also going to google mini trampoline exercises.