Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 02:05

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Many pro-statements are made about prescription medications that are full of side effects and nobody is expressing concern about someone holding them responsible for making those such statements.

Thanks Ron...

The thing is, prescription medication would be approved by a doctor and pharmacist first.

And, I mean hypos... .

Plus, it is not so much the blame I am worried about, as preventing a problem in the first place.

Mostly it is cause I know the safety standards in the EC, and how to check a herbal practitioner is qualified, but the whole world could be reading this forum.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 07:53

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
Mostly it is cause I know the safety standards in the EC, and how to check a herbal practitioner is qualified, but the whole world could be reading this forum.

Not hardly the whole world. So far, only 105 views and considering how some people probably viewed more then once, I'm sure less than 100 people have read this..

What is EC?

By the way, I check with my TCM Doctor (Herbal Practioner) daily.. I don't always listen to her though, but then again, what husband does??
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 10:32

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was not accusing YOU of being naive about herbs.

I'm worried about lurkers, and newbies and the like...

Plus you are right, I am being paranoid.

The EC is the European Community...it is a bunch of countries.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 10:48

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Of course at least a few of us who use Rx medicines are very concerned about the side affects of those medications. I mention the side affects from time to time, but I try not to be confrontive about it.

I can't take Metformin, and for all practical purposes I have told my doctors I will not take any of the other oral drugs. My general rule, save emergencies, I do not like to take any drug which has not been in general usage for ten years.

I dropped statins a few months ago, after experiencing neurological problems and extreme fatigue. Statin poisoning seemed most likely, Viral Spinal Meningitis a possibility, and in distant third, West Nile. The irony of this is that I first started using Red Rice Powder, a Chinese herbal and a natural statin, later a couple of the Rx versions.

Last edited by RobLL : Sun, Oct-19-08 at 10:54.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 19:18

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I have been taking red yeast rice for about 7 years with very
good results.Not too sure if that has any significance.
Eddie
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 21:24
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Ron, I looked in Sam's tonight and yes, they do sell Aloe Vera juice. In a gallon bottle, for $7. Unfortunately, the quick look I took at the nutrition label has completely slipped my mind: I don't remember what it said.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
I have been taking red yeast rice for about 7 years with very
good results.Not too sure if that has any significance.
Eddie

I would like to know what were your good results? Are you still taking it?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Ron, I looked in Sam's tonight and yes, they do sell Aloe Vera juice. In a gallon bottle, for $7. Unfortunately, the quick look I took at the nutrition label has completely slipped my mind: I don't remember what it said.

Was this the product?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/na...tem=195191#Spec
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 06:21

BF:

About my use of red yeast rice:
I still take one 600 mg pill after each meal.
When I started taking it,my TC was around 225.
In about 3 months,it was down to about 195.
These days,my TC averages in low 170's.
My TC had been in 140's but I was unhappy with my HDL of
around 40.I brought my HDL up to 65 with 100 mg Niacin a
day which,of course,increased my TC by 25 or so but it's
a good increase.It's important which brand of red yeast rice
is used because many of them only contain trace amounts of
the lovastatin component.The Rexall brand has worked well
for me but the best one I've used comes from www.healthy-america(their brand is approved by ConsumerLabs).
Does cholesterol make a difference?:I prefer to play it safe
but everyone has to make their own decision about that.
Bye for now
Eddie
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 07:08

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

okay , i never thought people would try aloevera if they dint beleive in acidic and alkaline PH and aloevera increases the PH and lots of good things happen with body being in higher PH.

Anyways, when i told my ayurvedic doctor long time ago that i was eating a lot of protein and it is making me feel better and i am NOT going to follow complex carbs like they suggest, he told me that is completely fine....the only problem with protein is it increases PH of the body and i need to combat is with something that is cooling to the body and his recommendations were aloevera and fenugreek.

I never cared for it, but i did get aloevera for my husband but he ended up not taking it...as always.So I did take one whole bottle of it. As far as i can remeber it made me crap a lot and improved my skin health...i was not paranoid about blood sugar then and dint have a monitor so never checked that up.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 07:59
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Yes Ron, that's the Aloe Vera juice I saw at Sams.
=====================================

Just FYI of the whole world reading here (smile)....
Red yeast rice IS a statin. No difference. I had extreme neurological problems and fatigue taking statins too, they all but dissolved my muscles, and who knows how much of that muscle weakening was happeneing to my heart. Makes me mad that I was advised to take them all those years, when I now believe there's no truth to the lipid hypothesis to CHD.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 08:22

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

#28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 09:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
when I now believe there's no truth to the lipid hypothesis to CHD.

I think there's some truth in it, but it's currently misused horribly. The bad cholesterol are the tiny particles which correspond very well to how your triglycerides are doing. But in general the current cholesterol test everyone is using fails miserably to really provide much useful info, except to tell you what your HDL is and your Triglycerides. Everything else is just so much poo.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 11:14

BF:

"Red yeast rice IS a statin. No difference."
There is a difference.
1200 mg of Red Yeast Rice(reccomended daily amount) is
considerably less potent than the weakest statin.Red yeast rice
contains phytosterols which statins don't.
Red yeast rice lowers LDL better than statins possibly because
of the phytosterol content.
I've heard of many people being harmed by statins.
I havn't heard of anyone being harmed by red yeast rice-
doesn't mean it hasn't happened,though.
Eddie
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 12:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm not convinced sterols are so great: Are sterols the new transfat?

Quote:
I havn't heard of anyone being harmed by red yeast rice-
I could swear the person you're refuting said she was harmed by it.

There's also Dr. Davis's take on it: Red Rice Yeast Alert

Quote:
Red yeast rice alert

While there have been some positive reports in the media lately about the cholesterol-reducing effects of red yeast rice, Consumer Lab has issued a very concerning report.

Because Consumer Lab is a subscription website (incidentally, the $20 per year membership fee is money well spent for insightful tests on many supplements, though new reports only come out a handful of times per year), I won't discuss the results of their red yeast rice in its entirety.

However, Consumer Lab testing uncovered several disturbing findings:

--The lovastatin content varied by a factor of 100, from 0.1 mg per tablet/capsule in one brand up to 10.6 mg in another brand. By FDA regulations, lovastatin is a drug and NO red yeast rice preparation is supposed to contain ANY lovastatin. Nonetheless, despite the marketing of supplement manufacturers, it is probably the lovastatin that is largely responsible for the LDL-reducing effect. The monacolins or mevinolins in red yeast rice add little, if any, further LDL-reducing effect.

--Several preparations contain a potential kidney toxin called citrinin. The Walgreen's product, specifically, contained substantial quantities of this toxin.

Interestingly, the FDA has taken repeated action against red yeast rice manufacturers and distributors because they continue to contain lovastatin. In the FDA's most recent action in August, 2007, for instance, Swanson's product and Sunburst Biorganics' Cholestrix, were both sent letters to stop selling their product because it contained lovastatin.

The Consumer Lab findings would explain the enormous variation in LDL-reducing effect of various red yeast rice products. In my experience, some work and reduce LDL 40 mg/dl or so, some fail to reduce LDL at all, others generate a modest effect, e.g., 5-10 mg/dl LDL reduction.

In effect, red yeast rice IS a statin drug, albeit a highly variable and weak one. Although readers of The Heart Scan Blog know that I am a big fan of nutritional supplements and self-empowerment in health, I am a bigger fan of truth. I despise B--- S---- of the sort that emits from some nutritional supplement manufacturers and drug companies.

I am puzzled by much of the public's readiness to embrace a statin drug if it comes from a supplement company while avoiding it if it comes from a drug manufacturer. Personally, I do not like the drug industry, their questionable (at best) ethics, their aggressive marketing tactics, their sleazy sales people.

But, in this instance, if a statin effect is desired, I'd reach for generic lovastatin before I purchased red yeast rice. The Consumer Lab report tells us that red yeast rice IS essentially a statin drug, an inconsistent one that often contains a potential toxin.