Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 00:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default New twist in brain obesity riddle

BBC News Online
London, UK
3 October, 2008

New twist in brain obesity riddle

The discovery of another way in which the body appears to control how much it eats could shed fresh light on obesity.

US researchers said poor diets may trigger a signalling system which prompts the body to consume even more.

When the signals - involving a protein linked to inflammation - were blocked in mice, they maintained normal weight.

A UK expert warned that the finding, in the journal Cell, may not lead to an effective anti-obesity drug because it could interfere with the immune system.

The complexity of the controls governing the human metabolism, appetite and the laying down of fat has become clear over recent years.

Despite some promising experiments in animals, none has yet produced a breakthrough in the battle against obesity.

The latest "pathway" under investigation, by scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is normally associated with the immune system, and inflammation, one of the body's defence systems.

Mouse diet

The link to obesity was made when scientists investigated "metabolic inflammation", a chronic, low-level condition often seen in obesity-related diseases.

In mice, a protein connected to inflammatory reactions appeared to be switched on when the animals were given a high fat, high sugar diet.

Not only this, but once the protein was switched on, the mice started eating more, suggesting that it was part of a pathway involving the regulation of food intake.

Closer examination of the a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, which is known to be involved in energy regulation, revealed the protein present there too.

In mice genetically altered to block the pathway, even with a high fat diet available, they were able to maintain a healthy weight.

Dr Dongsheng Cai, who led the research, said that that the pathway could possibly be used in anti-obesity drugs.

He said: "The ultimate goal will certainly be to identify a selective and effective suppressor of the pathway to target related neurons."

However, Professor Fran Ebling, from the University of Nottingham, said that other potential targets might prove more fruitful.

He said: "It's certainly interesting, but if we have some drugs that target this pathway, they may well interfere with some other part of the immune system."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7649261.stm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 04:41

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

More press reports on this story.

Note that the reports below talk merely of "overnutrition" and a "high fat diet" whereas in Demi's post above it says "a In mice, a protein connected to inflammatory reactions appeared to be switched on when the animals were given a high fat, high sugar diet."
Strange the things the press misreports.

I am disappointed that it seems the distinct roles of high-fat and high carb have not been explored separately, but that one hopes that will be done soon.

In the interim it looks like the press releases, especially in the mass-market press, are interpreting this as an "anti fat" rather than anti high carb/insulin result.
If anyone can get into the full text on the actual feed ratios I am all ears.

" ***** Medical News: General Neurology

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurolo...rology/tb/11155

Brain Inflammation Pathway Linked to Murine Obesity
By Michael Smith, North American Correspondent, MedPage Today
Published: October 02, 2008
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Earn CME/CE credit
for reading medical news
MADISON, Wis., Oct. 2 -- Blocking an inflammatory pathway in the hypothalamus can prevent obesity, at least in mice, researchers here said.
Action Points

* Explain to interested patients that the role of inflammation in diseases of over-nutrition -- such as type 2 diabetes -- is not completely understood.

* Note that this study, in experimental mice, suggests that an inflammatory pathway in the brain plays a key role and might open new therapeutic options.

The pathway involves a mediator of metabolic inflammation -- dubbed IKKß/NF-kB -- that is normally inactive in the hypothalamus, even though it is enriched in hypothalamic neurons, according to Dongsheng Cai, M.D., Ph.D., of the University of Wisconsin, and colleagues.

A series of animal and in vitro experiments showed that IKKß/NF-kB can be activated by either an acute or chronic oversupply of nutrients, Dr. Cai and colleagues reported in the Oct. 3 issue of Cell.

The "discoveries offer potential for treating these serious diseases" caused by overnutrition, such as type 2 diabetes, the researchers said.

Moreover, because IKKß/NF-kB is normally inactive in the central nervous system, suppressing it in the hypothalamus "is likely a safe approach," they argued.

When IKKß/NF-kB is activated, they said, insulin and leptin signaling in the mediobasal hypothalamus is disrupted, leading to energy imbalance and eventually obesity.

In mice, preventing such activation -- either genetically or through viral gene therapy -- restored energy balance and prevented obesity even when animals were fed a high-fat diet, Dr. Cai and colleagues said.

It was already known, Dr. Cai and colleagues said, that overnutrition can spark inflammatory responses in peripheral metabolic tissues, including the muscles and liver.

But it wasn't known what effect metabolic inflammation had in the central nervous system.

To help fill the gap, the researchers undertook a series of experiments, starting with a look at the effects of a high-fat diet in normal mice and a normal diet in mice predisposed to obesity.

In both cases, they found IKKß/NF-kB activity increased -- two-fold in the normal mice and up to six-fold in the genetically modified animals.

The increased activity of the IKKß/NF-kB pathway, though, is not a function of obesity itself, they found. Non-obese mice that were fasted overnight followed by a six-hour infusion of 20% glucose into the third ventricle of the hypothalamus showed a significant increase in IKKß/NF-kB activity (P<0.05) compared with control animals.

On the other hand, a normal physiological supply of nutrients -- re-feeding after fasting, for example -- did not trigger the increased activity.

In another experiment, mice on a high-fat diet were injected with a viral vector that either increased or decreased the activity of IKKß. The researchers found significant changes -- either up or down -- in food intake and weight gain (P<0.05), compared with control animals.

The mechanism may involve endoplasmic reticulum stress, which has been associated in other tissues with diseases of overnutrition, the researchers said.

They found that activation of IKKß/NF-kB by a high-fat diet is associated with such stress, but that acute use of an inhibitor of endoplasmic reticulum stress suppressed activation of IKKß/NF-kB.

On the other hand, in animals fed a normal diet, an inducer of endoplasmic reticulum stress increased activation of IKKß/NF-kB, they found.

Another series of experiments showed that activation of IKKß/NF-kB interrupts normal signaling by insulin and leptin in the hypothalamus.

Because of that finding, the researchers hypothesized that blocking the activity of IKKß/NF-kB in neurons critical for insulin and leptin signaling would have beneficial metabolic effects in animals fed a high-fat diet.

To test the idea, they bred mice in which only the AGRP neurons -- a critical source of hypothalamic insulin and leptin signaling -- had the IKKß/NF-kB pathway blocked.

The animals were essentially normal in growth, offspring frequency, and activity, the researchers said, and when they were fed a normal diet they gained weight at about the same rate as controls.

On the other hand, when they were fed a high-fat diet, they ate less and gained less weight than controls. After 12 weeks, their body weight on average was 13.1% less than that of the controls and they ate 10.2% less -- differences that were significant at P<0.05 and P<0.01, respectively.

"Altogether, our results suggest a novel therapeutic strategy for combating the ever-increasing spread of obesity and associated diseases," the researchers summed up.

The study was supported by the NIH, the American Diabetes Association, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The researchers reported no conflicts.

Primary source: Cell
Source reference:
Zhang, et al "Hypothalamic IKKß/NF-kB and ER Stress Link Overnutrition to Energy Imbalance and Obesity" Cell 2008; 135: 61-73.
Additional General Neurology Coverage "

*****"

Primary source link above is as below. Seems to be just an abstract.

*****"

Summary

Overnutrition is associated with chronic inflammation in metabolic tissues. Whether metabolic inflammation compromises the neural regulatory systems and therefore promotes overnutrition-associated diseases remains unexplored. Here we show that a mediator of metabolic inflammation, IKKβ/NF-κB, normally remains inactive although enriched in hypothalamic neurons. Overnutrition atypically activates hypothalamic IKKβ/NF-κB at least in part through elevated endoplasmic reticulum stress in the hypothalamus. While forced activation of hypothalamic IKKβ/NF-κB interrupts central insulin/leptin signaling and actions, site- or cell-specific suppression of IKKβ either broadly across the brain or locally within the mediobasal hypothalamus, or specifically in hypothalamic AGRP neurons significantly protects against obesity and glucose intolerance. The molecular mechanisms involved include regulation by IKKβ/NF-κB of SOCS3, a core inhibitor of insulin and leptin signaling. Our results show that the hypothalamic IKKβ/NF-κB program is a general neural mechanism for energy imbalance underlying obesity and suggest that suppressing hypothalamic IKKβ/NF-κB may represent a strategy to combat obesity and related diseases.
******"

Last edited by amergin : Fri, Oct-03-08 at 04:53. Reason: review
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 08:28

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yet again, fat gets the blame and sugar gets a free pass
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 14:21

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
US researchers said poor diets may trigger a signalling system which prompts the body to consume even more.

Come over here guys I see light at the end of the tunnel!

Quote:
When the signals - involving a protein linked to inflammation - were blocked in mice, they maintained normal weight.

<digging, digging>

Quote:
A UK expert warned that the finding, in the journal Cell, may not lead to an effective anti-obesity drug because it could interfere with the immune system.

Ah shucks it was nothing.

Quote:
The complexity of the controls governing the human metabolism, appetite and the laying down of fat has become clear over recent years.

Wait I think I got it this time.

Quote:
Despite some promising experiments in animals, none has yet produced a breakthrough in the battle against obesity.

Pff it's a dead end.

Quote:
The latest "pathway" under investigation, by scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is normally associated with the immune system, and inflammation, one of the body's defence systems.

What if...

Quote:
The link to obesity was made when scientists investigated "metabolic inflammation", a chronic, low-level condition often seen in obesity-related diseases.

Ah HA!

Quote:
In mice, a protein connected to inflammatory reactions appeared to be switched on when the animals were given a high fat, high sugar diet.

It's gotta be this way or that way.

Quote:
Not only this, but once the protein was switched on, the mice started eating more, suggesting that it was part of a pathway involving the regulation of food intake.

Closer examination of the a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, which is known to be involved in energy regulation, revealed the protein present there too.

In mice genetically altered to block the pathway, even with a high fat diet available, they were able to maintain a healthy weight.

Deeply engaged in a philosophical debate...

Quote:
Dr Dongsheng Cai, who led the research, said that that the pathway could possibly be used in anti-obesity drugs.

Now that's what I call leadership. An argument of authority perhaps? He's a doctor after all...

Quote:
He said: "The ultimate goal will certainly be to identify a selective and effective suppressor of the pathway to target related neurons."

Yep. That's what I thought.

Quote:
However, Professor Fran Ebling, from the University of Nottingham, said that other potential targets might prove more fruitful.

It's this way I tell you.

Quote:
He said: "It's certainly interesting, but if we have some drugs that target this pathway, they may well interfere with some other part of the immune system."

Do you see this bottomless pit? It's bottomless.

I couldn't resist.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 05:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Reading the full text of the research on which these press releases and reviews are based does give a much better idea of what the researchers did and enables you to understand a little better the significance of their findings.

They were investigating how IKKb/NF-kB causes hypothalamic insulin and leptin resistance. I found their conclusion that "Overnutrition Subverts the Innate Immune Response of Hypothalamic IKKb/NF-kB" and their explanation of how persistent signals to the CNS under conditions of overnutrition can sometimes cause an innate immune like response directed by IKKb/NF-kB in the hypothalamic neurons and how this process affects the neuronal regulation of energy balance was quite interesting.

As we know calorie restriction leads to longer life this helps explain why. I think it supports low carbohydrate dieting as these diets seem to naturally lead to lower calorie intake. I think it also implies we should take Intermittent Fasting more seriously.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 06:08
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I think intermittant fasting may be better for some metabolisms than others. I see a correlation even between how often I eat and weight loss, let alone how much (not enough stalls any loss). Since I gained most my weight eating once a day, I suppose that makes sense. I think it works well for some people, and maybe particularly people who are not morbidly obese, but then again a lot of things work for them that wouldn't work for MO people as well.

One of the primary arguments I've heard from lowcarb people against multiple small meals is that the recommendation for that came from the same people who recommended lowfat and grains and look where that got us, so it wasn't being taken seriously. I respect 'questioning authority' when you have reason to think the status quo of authority is often bogus, but there is also such a thing as throwing the baby out with the bath water. IF does indeed result in a lower overall intake, for pretty simple math reasons, and if a person is thin enough that they can get all the nutrition they need in various ways through that route, it's probably great. But it's possible that people more under-nutritioned who are over-fat as a result, need more nutrition until the weight comes down somewhat; at least this is my tentative conclusion, given such pauses in weight loss as I've seen particularly when not eating enough. Not eating often enough is the main thing that interferes with my eating enough, obviously.

As an added note, I attempted IF during induction and it was unworkable; I just couldn't get the protein I needed when only eating once a day, without trying to force-feed myself impossibly (and definitely not healthily!). So people on induction, if they were going to do IF, would need to be significantly smaller so their protein needs were not nearly as great.

I'm not actually dismissing any of the possible wisdom of IF. I'm just saying that I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all approach and I think in some cases it can do actual harm to people if it's not right for them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 11:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
As we know calorie restriction leads to longer life this helps explain why. I think it supports low carbohydrate dieting as these diets seem to naturally lead to lower calorie intake. I think it also implies we should take Intermittent Fasting more seriously.

The implication here is that a calorie has the same value toward aging even when it comes from different molecules. That's not the case. Fat doesn't act on insulin as carbs do. Insulin is involved in aging so fat would affect aging less or not at all while carbs would affect it more. Further, not all carbs are the same molecules so it's possible that fructose, for instance, affects aging less than glucose without regard for what it does elsewhere such as in the liver for instance.

The diet being tested for longevity in monkeys is one high in carbs so the conclusions based on this trial must consider that carbs play a significant role.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 12:48
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
The implication here is that a calorie has the same value toward aging even when it comes from different molecules. That's not the case. Fat doesn't act on insulin as carbs do. Insulin is involved in aging so fat would affect aging less or not at all while carbs would affect it more. Further, not all carbs are the same molecules so it's possible that fructose, for instance, affects aging less than glucose without regard for what it does elsewhere such as in the liver for instance.
Overnutrition Subverts the Innate Immune Response of Hypothalamic IKKb/NF-kB The study was talking about the route by which overnutrition triggers metabolic inflammation by compromising the neural regulatory systems.

It was my conclusion, based on reading the research, that calorie restriction either by low carb diet or IF may reduce the chances of over nutrition.

The researchers are proposing looking for drug based methods to selectively suppress this pathway in the CNS.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 13:48
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

What specifically is 'over-nutrition' -- does this merely mean "more calories in a day than one's BMR would suggest are appropriate?"

I mean how can one not consider the content of that 'overnutrition' to be totally critical to any research outcome?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 14:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
What specifically is 'over-nutrition' -- does this merely mean "more calories in a day than one's BMR would suggest are appropriate?"

I mean how can one not consider the content of that 'overnutrition' to be totally critical to any research outcome?

That's the question that always comes to mind. I know of two experiments that deal with over-nutrition with a low carb high fat diet, not with respect to aging, but the results are so different than with a high carb diet that I must consider that there's something more than merely total calories concerning aging.

One is Jeff's and the other is SteveJones' . Jeff's is truly an overfeeding study while Steve's is an attempt at maintenance. Both failed to show expected results from a caloric balance hypothesis perspective. Jeff failed to gain weight while Steve failed to maintain it.

Then there's the Spurlock and Chazz experiments that deal with high carb diets. Spurlock's contained a high amount of HFCS while Chazz's contained much less of it because of the diet Coke he drank.

Considering the health of all individuals in these experiments (Jeff maintained, Steve improved (lost weight most probably fat), Spurlock gained and got sick, Chazz apparently improved (lost weight probably fat)) and considering that caloric restriction produces similar results and is dose dependent, I must consider the possibility that the effect of caloric restriction comes not merely from a reduction in total calories independent of source but instead must come from a reduction in total carbohydrates.

That's why I've come to ask, out of habit now, what was their diet?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Overeating Can Throw Off Metabolism
Researchers find brain pathway that's activated, increasing risk of obesity, diabetes
another take on the same research.
this link takes you to some of the Supplemental Data relating to the research.
I can't see what the actual diet provided to the mice was.
It looks like a high fat diet and a standard mice chow.