Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 06:15

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Turmeric Shows Promise in Combating Diabetes and Obesity

Quote:
Turmeric Shows Promise in Combating Diabetes and Obesity
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 by: Leslee Dru Browning

(NaturalNews) Turmeric, an Asian spice found in many curries, has a long history of use in reducing inflammation, healing wounds and relieving pain, but can it prevent diabetes? Since inflammation plays a big role in many diseases and is believed to be involved in the onset of both obesity and Type 2 diabetes, Drew Tortoriello, M.D., an endocrinologist and research scientist at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia University Medical Center, and his colleagues were curious what effect the herb might have on diabetic mice.

Dr. Tortoriello, working with pediatric resident Stuart Weisberg, M.D., Ph.D., and Rudolph Leibel, M.D., fellow endocrinologist and the co-director of the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center, discovered that turmeric-treated mice were less susceptible to developing Type 2 diabetes, based on their blood glucose levels, and glucose and insulin tolerance tests. They also discovered that turmeric-fed obese mice showed significantly reduced inflammation in fat tissue and the liver compared to controls. They speculate that curcumin, the anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant ingredient in turmeric, lessens insulin resistance and prevents Type 2 diabetes in these mouse models by dampening the inflammatory response provoked by obesity.

Their findings are the subject of a soon-to-be published paper in Endocrinology and were recently presented at ENDO 2008, the Endocrine Society's annual meeting in San Francisco.

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) has no known dose-limiting toxicities in doses of up to at least 12 grams daily in humans. The researchers tested high-doses of a dietary curcumin in two distinct mouse models of obesity and Type 2 diabetes: high-fat-diet-fed male mice and leptin-deficient obese female mice, with lean wild-type mice that were fed low-fat diets used as controls.

The inflammation associated with obesity was shown several years ago by researchers in the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center to be due in part to the presence of immune cells called macrophages in fat tissues throughout the body. These cells produce "cytokine" molecules that can cause inflammation in organs such as the heart, and islets of the pancreas, while also increasing insulin resistance in muscle and the liver. Researchers hypothesized that by suppressing the number and activity of these cells, with turmeric or a drug with similar actions, it may be possible to reduce some of the adverse consequences of obesity.

Curcumin administration was also associated with a small but significant decline in body weight and fat content, despite level or higher calorie consumption, suggesting that curcumin beneficially influences body composition.

"It's too early to tell whether increasing dietary curcumin [through turmeric] intake in obese people with diabetes will show a similar benefit," Dr. Tortoriello said. "Although the daily intake of curcumin one might have to consume as a primary diabetes treatment is likely impractical, it is entirely possible that lower dosages of curcumin could nicely complement our traditional therapies as a natural and safe treatment."

For now, the conclusion that Dr. Tortoriello and his colleagues have reached is that turmeric -- and its active anti-oxidant ingredient, curcumin -- reverses many of the inflammatory and metabolic problems associated with obesity and improves blood-sugar control in mouse models of Type 2 diabetes.

In addition to exploring novel methods of curcumin administration to increase its absorption, they are also interested in identifying novel anti-inflammatory processes invoked by curcumin and in adapting those processes in the development of more potent curcumin analogues.

Funding for the study comes in part from the National Institutes of Health's Child Health and Human Development branch and the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia University Medical Center.

Sources:

Columbia University Medical Center, (2008, June 23). Common Cooking Spice Found In Curry Shows Promise In Combating Diabetes And Obesity (http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/) .

http://www.naturalnews.com/024226.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 08:31

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I do the fenugreek, turmeric, cinnmon cocktail ....it seems to help.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 09:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wish I could take turmeric, it gives me bad intestinal symptoms.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 15:10

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1

What is that? It sounds good. :-)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 15:15

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I use it in my deviled eggs...very good!

TJ
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-08, 01:13

Plan: LC Candida Diet
Stats: 284/225.8/140 Female 5'5.75"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1

Details, details please!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 04:58

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

"The researchers tested high-doses of a dietary curcumin in two distinct mouse models of obesity and Type 2 diabetes: high-fat-diet-fed male mice and leptin-deficient obese female mice, with lean wild-type mice that were fed low-fat diets used as controls."

Whatever one thinks of the result of this experiment - the information presented here is not sufficient to justify all the conclusions.
There is no information in the abstract on whether a control using the same diet to each test base existed.
The differences between group one and three were what most people on this site would expect in testing the difference between high fat and low fat diets, even without curcumin.

If the only control was using a different diet then the observed changes may or may not have been due to the curcumin, or the different diet.
Case not proven.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 07:17

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I do the fenugreek, turmeric, cinnmon cocktail ....it seems to help

You might be dissapointed because it is not actually a real cocktail.

I am an Indian , I use all these spices touted for diabetese control in regular food I cook everyday. Get this insider secret. You can get all these herbs in an Indian grocery store.....hugely less price. Like turmeric for 250 grams in just 2$.

Anyways I have these herbs mixed in a box.

turmeric(haldi)
bitter guard powder(karela)
cinnamon powder(dalchini)
fenugreek powder (methi)

Then I put it into capsules which you can get very cheap or I put it into openable tea bags and stuff it in it and brew it. Which is my cocktail actually.
It has a really strong taste and I would advice to put in stevia or sucralose.

So all the above herbs in total costs less than $10 for 3-4 months depending on how much you want to take.

I am very insuline resistent and get BS highs some time if I eat out of plan...but these herbs help me have a mor eeconsistent and lower BS.

These are not standardised herbs and I have no clue if they are more potent. But I know for sure these work and I know for sure they are good since I have been eating these in food in small quantities anyway for years.