Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-16, 14:07

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am finally through menopause. Mostly. It was nothing short of HORRIFIC. I tried everything from herbs to HRT. My hot flashes have reduced to one or two per week and no more massive night sweats. I just had keyhole surgery to remove ovaries and tubes. I am getting some hot sweats again but nothing like previous. It took 9 years to get through. It was the worst and most debilitating period of my life. I feel sorry for women who experience multiple symptoms and suffer for a long time. Nothing worked for me. Nothing. I will not recall menopause without dread and a gratitude that it is mostly over.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-16, 19:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

When I was 35 I started having extra heavy periods which eventually became unending. For an entire year I hemorrhaged, waiting to get a job so I'd have insurance. At last, my insurance kicked in and I found a doctor, but by then my body was so depleted that I had to take vit B injections for months. Finally, the doctor said I had recovered enough so I had my hysterectomy. The doctor went in through my cervix, removed my uterus and sewed up my cervix. That was 35 years ago. When I was 40 I started taking HRT. Because I have no cervix, I can take unopposed estrogen. I continue that to keep my arteries flexible and my skin soft.

The upside, as mentioned by others, is that I never had another period. Can't say I missed them at all.

As far as weight loss goes, I think the slow down is more associated with age than with menopause. When I was younger, diets were more effective for me. Now I just eat LCHF for good health and mobility. I rarely lose anything.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 08:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, so glad my symptoms were so mild and went away within a year. I had some mild hot flashes but the worst was my heart palpitations.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 19:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

My symptoms were more emotional than physical. I am embarrassed to think of the crazy person I was around the age of 50. Heh, Husband not only moved in and built a house with me around that time, he married me when I was 52. Now that's love!

I've apologized to my kids for the instability back then, and, even then, worked hard to regain some sort of calm. I am grateful, looking back, to know that one CAN choose to modify one's responses to stresses, if one works hard and consistently enough at it.

It helped in the first year or so after my concussion, too, when, as I told doctors, "It feels like menopause, all over," in talking about my overblown responses to things. I remember, one morning, being REALLY REALLY upset with Husband about something or another, and a thought popping into my head: "Why are you so angry? This isn't that important."

It allowed me to stop, apologize, and get on with the day.

Menopause can suck in all sorts of ways. But if we use them as learning tools, it helps.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 19:19

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

My husband has been dealing with my peri symptoms for several years and jokes I am hormonal when I get bitchy. He is often wrong as to cause, but that's ok. It makes a little spat go away easier, haha.

I am 51 and know I am getting close as the time between periods is getting long at about six months between for a few years now. I love that!

I am not finding this is hindering my weight loss. I have been at this for a little over three months and averaged a pound and a half per week.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 22:41

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Is memory loss apart of menopause too? I get upset too, but then I forget what I was so mad about!
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 11:19

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I had a pretty easy ride through, but am glad it's over, mostly because I have huge fibroids and the bleeding was awful. I had a very late menopause -- if I'd known I'd have to wait till age 56, I'd have had a hysterectomy years earlier, because the bleeding was horrific. I kept thinking I was done, but I wasn't....
SO GLAD to be on this side of it. No birth control, no bloody messes. And I didn't have bad symptoms and only had very mild hot flashes. For me, it's the best thing about growing older!!!!
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 09:18

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

OK, I just read through all the response. How come no one ever mentioned that after a while in menopause, you have no hair on your legs or underarms? THAT, for me, was a gift! I still have a few hairs here and there, and I try to remember to do a quick shave once a month or so, but it's nothing like what it used to be.

I'm still having a couple hot flashes daily (I'm almost 62, and my last period was at 50 or 51), and I'm definitely running hotter than ever. I used to sleep under several quilts, blankets, and afghans, wearing socks, yoga pants, and a sweatshirt. Now I sleep under one quilt (and often throw that off in the middle of the night), wearing only a light cotton nightie.

I was on bio-identical hormones for maybe 8 or 9 years, and just stopped using them this past summer. I'm still on a fence whether I should take them or not.

I find losing pounds and inches to be incredibly hard in menopause and beyond. NOTHING seems to work. My menopot gets bigger and bigger. From the back, I'm still an hourglass shape, but from the sides and front you see this huge pooch between navel and breasts.

Has anyone had luck with losing weight and keeping it off after age 50? I take that back, I know a lot of women have -- since I've read many of the testimonials on Diet Doctor and other websites -- but they all seem to be new to the LC world. Has anyone who has been living a low-carb lifestyle for the past 15 or 20 years been able to lose weight again?

When I turned 50 in 2005 I was 150 pounds, and then gained 45 pounds in the next 18 months with no changes in food intake or activity. In 2011 I was able to lose 35 pounds on hcg and get down to 135. Held that for more than a year before it started creeping back. Now I'm bumping the ceiling just under 200 and am getting more than a little frantic on what to do.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 10:25
Experimenter

BF:

Ha! I still have hair. Maybe your eyesight is just going? :-) Just kidding. It isn't as thick as it used to be. I just ignore it. I agree with you on weight loss. Seems about impossible now. I used to have a relatively flat stomach, a nice waist... GONE!

On the plus side, my moods are really stable, give or take an election. On the downside, I seem to have less control over my eating impulses.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 10:35

BF:

Eyesight is perfect, since my Lasik surgery a couple years ago!

My problem is that food bores me lately. Nothing looks or sounds good. You'd think that would be a good thing, that I wouldn't eat as much. Nope. Nothing looks or sounds good, so I don't take the time to cook and prepare healthy foods. I'll either not eat anything, or grab some Ritz crackers.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 11:33
Experimenter

BF:

Do you need to go visit the "I'm so bored.." thread?
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 12:40

BF:

I just don't want to cook. I've been making dinners for so long now, I'm bored with cooking. It doesn't matter how yummy a recipe sounds to other people, to me it's just work. If a recipe has more than 3 ingredients -- meat (preferably steak), salt, and pepper -- I'm just not interested.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, staring this down the bore, so to speak. Surely there is some upside to this. Lay it on me, sisters!

i had a quick and smooth transition into menopause, from being a victim of PMDD... which put me near suicide on a few occasions.
so menopause was a breeze for me.
no symptoms, no nothing, except i did get the larger menopot (as BW calls it).
i got very robust around the middle.

but it's been good to me. i have dropped about 45 or so pounds.
i sleep really well...
no mood swings, like i did in PMDD...
no suicide tendencies.

i took care of the menopot in 2009...
my breasts stopped growing (I got to 42 GG) and i took care of them in 2015 and they have remained small...
(i have friends that have had breast reductions while still having menses and their breasts keep growing.)

i have heard that bad menopause skips generations...
my grandmother didn't have any symptoms.
my mother went crazy.. seriously.. got total disability for her crazy.
and i didn't have any symptoms..
maybe it's true.

BUT, in the last 4 days.... something new has developed and I've been documenting it..
i have awakened 4 mornings in a row, this week, to fat under my eyes.. in my circles.. it has always been smooth and flat.. and now, I see a fat bulge, under my eyes.. no clue what that is.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 13:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
(i have friends that have had breast reductions while still having menses and their breasts keep growing.)

Yup. I had my breast reduction in 1999 and they grew back. On the other hand, I have two friends who had it done around the same time as I did (though they're both 10 - 15 years younger than I am), and theirs stayed the same. It could have been the raging hormones in early menopause that did it.

The eye thing sounds a bit like you're retaining fluid or something. That's all I can think of.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 14:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Menopause. What's the upside?

You don't take no guff from NOBODY!!