Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (Over Fifty)
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 08:19
SylvieK SylvieK is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 463
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:
Default

Susun Weed has a chapter on anxiety/irritability in her book The New Menopausal Years. Apparently a lot of women get panic attacks, anxiety, or wake up with anxiety at night. She says it could be a symptom of the adrenals being stressed during hormonal changes during menopause. One recommendation is keeping a bottle of sage tincture by your bed with a glass of water and sipping a dropperful if you wake up with the jitters or suddenly feel a crash of depression or low spirits.

Here's one source for sage extract:

http://67.199.53.69/sage-liquid-extract-sm-sag.aspx

You can also make a tea from garden sage. It's found in the fresh herb section at supermarkets and sometimes at farmers markets, and you can use that to make a great tea; or you can buy dried garden sage at health food stores. Sage has plant estrogens. Red clover as mentioned above is another good one.

There is a wealth of information from Susun Weed's books and writings online; you can do a google search for links.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 06:56
Didy's Avatar
Didy Didy is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,054
 
Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Location: Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Just before I started taking Vit D in late November 2007, I had an attack of either something perimenopausal (I'm 45) or SAD, I don't know, but I just felt really really depressed for no good reason, almost tearful. A few days before that I was a puddle of tears because of a careless comment a neighbour made. I just didn't recognise myself, as I'm usually a fairly cheerful, happy-go-lucky type of gal.

Two days after the unfounded tearful moments I started taking Vit D3 (4,000IUs/day) and I've felt fine since. Less bad-tempered with my kids and husband and cat, better concentration and no depression or irritability prior to my period. Just generally more balanced and calmer about life in general.

Do you already take Vit D3? If not, now would be a time to try it out! It can't hurt, from what I've read. Check the "Great Vit D Experiment" thread on the challenges sub-forum if you need more information and want to hear about other people's experiences.

amanda



Great reminder Amanda! I do take D3....when I remember! I'm really faithful about all of my other supplements, but D3 is one that I keep forgetting. I will put it in a more conspicuous location! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 06:57
Didy's Avatar
Didy Didy is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,054
 
Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Location: Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
Susun Weed has a chapter on anxiety/irritability in her book The New Menopausal Years. Apparently a lot of women get panic attacks, anxiety, or wake up with anxiety at night. She says it could be a symptom of the adrenals being stressed during hormonal changes during menopause. One recommendation is keeping a bottle of sage tincture by your bed with a glass of water and sipping a dropperful if you wake up with the jitters or suddenly feel a crash of depression or low spirits.

Here's one source for sage extract:

http://67.199.53.69/sage-liquid-extract-sm-sag.aspx

You can also make a tea from garden sage. It's found in the fresh herb section at supermarkets and sometimes at farmers markets, and you can use that to make a great tea; or you can buy dried garden sage at health food stores. Sage has plant estrogens. Red clover as mentioned above is another good one.

There is a wealth of information from Susun Weed's books and writings online; you can do a google search for links.


Just THINKING about sage extract calms me down! That sounds heavenly!
Reply With Quote
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 07:25
equistar's Avatar
equistar equistar is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 488
 
Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%
Location: Louisiana
Default

Mind if I jump in? I just turned 40 and have cramping and for two days have very heavy days that make me slightly lightheaded but I do not go to doctors. My question in how many of you have gone through menopause naturally - I never hear of anyone doing that anymore, they all seem to get surgery and hormone replacements. Just trying to find the best route.
Reply With Quote
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 09:29
Nancy LC's Avatar
Nancy LC Nancy LC is offline
Experimenter
Posts: 45,189
 
Plan: Paleo 99.5%
Stats: 210/170/160 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

HRT isn't really recommended much any longer as far as I know. Seems to increase cancer rates and doesn't do anything for heart disease.
Reply With Quote
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 10:07
SylvieK SylvieK is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 463
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:
Default

Didy: Avena has a lot of great remedies for women:

http://67.199.53.69/female-reproduc...m-products.aspx

I esp. like the Into the Flow formula and the Moontime Belly oil (the oil is great for cramps). I've also gotten good results from the Motherwort extract; calming and good for the heart. And the Rose Petal Elixir is amazing, it tastes intensely of roses and it's very relaxing.
Reply With Quote
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 17:15
Didy's Avatar
Didy Didy is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,054
 
Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Location: Washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
Didy: Avena has a lot of great remedies for women:

http://67.199.53.69/female-reproduc...m-products.aspx

I esp. like the Into the Flow formula and the Moontime Belly oil (the oil is great for cramps). I've also gotten good results from the Motherwort extract; calming and good for the heart. And the Rose Petal Elixir is amazing, it tastes intensely of roses and it's very relaxing.


Thanks! I'll do some perusing!! How wonderful to know that we are not alone in this journey!
Reply With Quote
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 19:15
Sugar_Free's Avatar
Sugar_Free Sugar_Free is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 147
 
Plan: Carbs <40g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Location: Western U.S.
Default Isn't that a problem, though, w/ thyroid & PCOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
Susun Weed has a chapter on anxiety/irritability in her book The New Menopausal Years. Apparently a lot of women get panic attacks, anxiety, or wake up with anxiety at night. She says it could be a symptom of the adrenals being stressed during hormonal changes during menopause. One recommendation is keeping a bottle of sage tincture by your bed with a glass of water and sipping a dropperful if you wake up with the jitters or suddenly feel a crash of depression or low spirits.


If I recall correctly, sage has phytoestrogens. If that's the case, I believe that would interfere with thyroid hormone, for those with Hashimoto's or other forms of hypothyroidism. I love Susun Weed though!

Editing to give a link; this has a lot of info about sage: http://www.wellness.com/reference/f...sing-and-safety

Excerpt:

<<Sage essential oil may have estrogenic activity. Extracts of the leaves of sage may abolish hot flashes and night sweating in some menopausal women.
Use cautiously with thyroid hormones, due to possible additive effects.>>

So just be careful if you have a thyroid condition.

Last edited by Sugar_Free : Sun, Mar-15-09 at 19:32.
Reply With Quote
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 20:53
SylvieK SylvieK is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 463
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:
Default

You might be right about sage's effect on thyroid, not sure about that. It's always good to get lots of info on any remedy before taking it.

But re your note on sage essential oil, just wanted to clarify: a concentrated essential oil is a VERY different substance compared to an extract/tincture (plant preserved in alcohol). I've read that sage essential oil is one of the oils that should be used with great caution; it's not that widely available, and I wouldn't use it myself.

So when I said "extract" I meant tincture. Hope that clarifies.
Reply With Quote
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 21:07
Sugar_Free's Avatar
Sugar_Free Sugar_Free is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 147
 
Plan: Carbs <40g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Location: Western U.S.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
You might be right about sage's effect on thyroid, not sure about that. It's always good to get lots of info on any remedy before taking it.

But re your note on sage essential oil, just wanted to clarify: a concentrated essential oil is a VERY different substance compared to an extract/tincture (plant preserved in alcohol). I've read that sage essential oil is one of the oils that should be used with great caution; it's not that widely available, and I wouldn't use it myself.

So when I said "extract" I meant tincture. Hope that clarifies.


I understand. I just keep an eye out for estrogenic foods because I have a thyroid condition. I do love fried sage leaves tho...have you ever tried them? Yum. Just put them in a little olive oil. Low-carb too!
Reply With Quote
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 09:46
Nancy LC's Avatar
Nancy LC Nancy LC is offline
Experimenter
Posts: 45,189
 
Plan: Paleo 99.5%
Stats: 210/170/160 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

I think I might have had a hot flash last night... I woke up and couldn't stand having any covers on me. I even had to turn on the ceiling fan for awhile. It was 67 degrees in the house. I didn't get sweaty or anything. I was able to get back to sleep and woke up cold later.

Still no extreme emotions except I heard a veterinarian talking on NPR yesterday about end-of-life decisions for pets and I heard her describe the process of putting an pet down. She was obviously holding back her own tears and it just made me cry like a baby. I have an elderly cat so I know I'll be facing this someday soon myself.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Mar-20-09 at 09:52.
Reply With Quote
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 17:16
SylvieK SylvieK is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 463
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:
Default

The FES flower essence Flourish formulas have helped me a lot, there's one for grief; not specifically for menopause but healing to the heart and soul when emotions well up:

http://www.fesflowers.com/grief-relief.htm

Also the Magenta Self-Healer, Activ-8, and Illumine are helpful. Combination of flower essences and essential oils.
Reply With Quote
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 10:48
Hismouse's Avatar
Hismouse Hismouse is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,488
 
Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%
Location: Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by equistar
Mind if I jump in? I just turned 40 and have cramping and for two days have very heavy days that make me slightly lightheaded but I do not go to doctors. My question in how many of you have gone through menopause naturally - I never hear of anyone doing that anymore, they all seem to get surgery and hormone replacements. Just trying to find the best route.



I have to say for me it has been all natural, just talking myself through it. No drugs, and no hormones. And only One Adrenal gland.
I also believe there are more women taking Natural hormones then the other, they pull them from the market and slow brought them back. Millions of women stoopped them and millions have choose the other natural kind. So I have to disagree with you on that.

I had a Partial Hysterectomy, keep the ovaries and lost the Periods (uterus) no sadness there, but I still got the Menopause, and it began I think, at 45.
Reply With Quote
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 11:03
Hismouse's Avatar
Hismouse Hismouse is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,488
 
Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%
Location: Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm fortunate that I haven't had the emotional issues with my changing hormones. Although I woke up yesterday utterly worried the economy is about to explode and times are going to be tough for a long time. I'm not much of a worrier normally. But I had seen 60 minutes explaining some of the credit crisis and that really got me upset.

But today I'm feeling good again.



Nancy your feelings became correct, look where our economy is....
I have learned as I age I have to stop and calm and listen to myself, we women become wiser as we age
Reply With Quote
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 11:11
Hismouse's Avatar
Hismouse Hismouse is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 6,488
 
Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%
Location: Oregon
Default

I have a question: I have kaiser ins, does it cover natural hormones? The kind Nancy takes?
After reading, wake up moment, I have NO sex drive. My Husband I am sure thinks I have lost it for him, I think I need help. But I don't want horse urine. I have no Uterus.
So ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.