Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 11:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Do you 50-ish perimenopausal ladies really still use birth control? Gosh, I haven't bothered with that since my mid-40's.

What's the oldest age you've ever heard of a woman getting pregnant the traditional way (i.e., without medical intervention)?

I had a friend trying to get pregnant at age 39 who finally resorted to a fertility clinic - her obstetrician told her natural/ non-medical intervention pregnancy "doesn't happen" after 40.

I've heard stories of women in their 40's getting preggers. In fact, Sarah Palin did right? She's 44 I believe, has a 4 month old baby. I'm not sure about 50's... man that'd be a surprise!

Oops, google and ye shall find:
http://pregnancyover44y.blogspot.co...gnancy-was.html

57!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 07:31

Plan: <50 carbs per day
Stats: 202/191/145 Female 5'4"
BF:going down
Progress: 19%

I'm almost at MP too and I agree that it is a time of new energy and renewed faith in myself. I have started working out and come back to low carb, journaling and faith that it will happen this time.

My Gyno put me on Prometrium (which is "natural" progesterone to oppose the estrogen that I still produce) for 14 days every 3 months to get the period going and keep down the month long bleeding. One year, no period means menopause has set in.
So far I've had a period each time but heck one every four months isn't too bad.

My emotions have evened out and even sex seems more enjoyable. Less self-conscious from the weight loss and my head is on straighter!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/229/134 Female 5'2"
BF:R U Crazy
Progress: 6%

okay - I hate to be the negative one in the group, but I can't find any upside. I hate the dryness 'down there' and lack of sex drive is the pits. I had a very active sex drive, I would take the period back if I could, been in full blown menopause for 3 years now. brian fog, too hot flashes have subsided -- Sorry can't see the advantage, sure no one wants to get preggars past age 50 (except Hollyweirdos) but I miss the hormones
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 17:47

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't miss the hormones at all! In fact, my moods are really leveled out, no monthly weight gain, no cramps, don't have to worry about always "being prepared" or having an "accident".

One big worry out of my life! Oh, and no more stained underpanties.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 20:54

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm just putting this out there to share with others who were in the same boat as me. As I said in the other thread, I am not menopausal (or even peri, apparently) but back in June, I had a Mirena IUD inserted to help combat ridiculous periods. (getting heavier, longer *and* closer together! yikes!!) I went to the doc to see about a hysterectomy but this is what they have all recommended for me. I can't say having this IUD has been a walk in the park but all in all, things are certainly settling down. At least, my periods have pretty much been MIA for the last little while, and even if they haven't totally gone, they are light and about 2 days now ( they might even disappear altogether!)
I'd recommend any woman talk to their doctor about it. Definitely been a bonus for me. Hopefully after the 5 year time limit is up, I *will* be in menopause and the darn thing will be gone gone gone!! Just thought I'd share so other women having this problem know there are options out there.

For those who talk about Dryness, and lack of sex drive etc. I would recommend that they discuss this with their doctor as there are options to help with these symptons. (or, seek help from someone well versed in herbs etc, I know there are things out there to help with these problems)

Nancy, sorry I hi-jacked your thread and I didn't even have any thing of value to contribute, as I have not been through menopause yet!

Last edited by FatFreeMe : Fri, Nov-21-08 at 21:00.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 09:56

Plan: <50 carbs per day
Stats: 202/191/145 Female 5'4"
BF:going down
Progress: 19%

My greatgrandmther got pregnant at age 50 in the 1920s, had a healthy baby boy at age 51. So I have always been happy that my husband is fixed.
My GYN gave me testosterone cream for libido and offered estrogen cream for dryness and increased UTI. The estrogen thickens the skin of the vagina and keeps it more moist and less susceptible to tearing and infection. You use it every day for a week or two, then once a week forever.
Pretty easy. My husband is lots happier and I am too.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 11:04

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Menopause. What's the upside?

Now the weather has turned cold here, I time going to bed during a hot flush.
I can slip between the cold bedsheets and cool myself down, while warming up the bed for DH. Its a win win!

Not a great help for those in a warm climate though..............
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 04:34

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Simone De Beauvoir had a great quote about how the ages between 50 and 70 were potentially the best in a woman's life because she attains a new kind of strength and balance hormonally -- I'll try to find the quote.

I've learned that plant medicine can help with so many menopausally related situations, physically and emotionally.

Two great sources of information: Susun Weed's book on menopause (and she has a website and lots of excerpts from the book at susunweed.com); also tinctures and teas from Avena botanicals.

Making infusions (teas steeped for 10 minutes or longer) from nettle, dandelion leaf, and red clover is a great help. You can often buy the herbs in bulk at health food stores for about $2 an ounce, which will last for a while.

Nourishing herbs are very high in calcium and other nutrients. I think nourishing yourself during menopause can be very beneficial.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 08:06

Stats: 235/229/134 Female 5'2"
BF:R U Crazy
Progress: 6%

I have had absolute jerks for Drs lately - usually on the media bandwagon which is against doing anything for menopause and they are 'young' women - I have wished the worst menopause ever onto both of them - they had NO sympathy. I can understand when your periods are pure hell wanting them to end, fortunately mine were not like that. I attribute it to the 13 years of breastfeeding and not having periods while nursing.
I still had the moods during peri, and weird moods now -depression, no sex drive, lack of sleep, joint problems, anxiety attacks. I never had ANY of this before menopause and I hate it. I tried anti-depressants, I tried black cohosh for a long time and it did not help, also raspberry leaf tea.
I may go back and demand HRT of some type....

thanks for the venting...LOL
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 08:11

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm fortunate that I haven't had the emotional issues with my changing hormones. Although I woke up yesterday utterly worried the economy is about to explode and times are going to be tough for a long time. I'm not much of a worrier normally. But I had seen 60 minutes explaining some of the credit crisis and that really got me upset.

But today I'm feeling good again.

I've heard that called "free floating anxiety" I think.
It comes with the territory. I used to think I was becoming paranoid or something. Apparently it's somewhat normal.

I can only speak from personal experience (surgically menopausal since 2002) but I only really and truly got feeling right when I discovered bio-identical hormone therapy.

Upside of menopause? No fear of pregnancy, no cramps, no periods, no PMS, no pre-period migraines or cluster headaches. No sending hubby to the store in the middle of the night for feminine hygiene products or advil

Downside: moodiness, depression, inability to sleep the whole night, hot flashes, decreased ability to lose weight. Eventually decreased libido.
All of which, BI-HRT has fixed, beautifully!

ETA: for those wanting to know more about hormone replacement: Hormone Balance
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 02:11

Plan: general
Stats: 166/161.5/145 Female 5'4"
BF:Sure is!
Progress: 21%

NO PMS!

I got pregnant at 44. Miscarried at 16 weeks though. My grandmother had her last baby at 47 I think. (9 over 27 years)
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 23:33

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

hehe I say I'm so hot! My dear husband says, Are you hot? I tell him gee not so many yrs ago it wasn't a question for youwe laugh, and laugh.....
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 03:20

Plan: general
Stats: 166/161.5/145 Female 5'4"
BF:Sure is!
Progress: 21%

After a while, no hot flashes either. And the sleeplessness is getting way better.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 18:05

Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Do you 50-ish perimenopausal ladies really still use birth control? Gosh, I haven't bothered with that since my mid-40's.

What's the oldest age you've ever heard of a woman getting pregnant the traditional way (i.e., without medical intervention)?

I had a friend trying to get pregnant at age 39 who finally resorted to a fertility clinic - her obstetrician told her natural/ non-medical intervention pregnancy "doesn't happen" after 40.

WOW hate to disagree with your friends doctor but my sister-in-law just gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and she is 49. She also thought she was past the point of conceiving, but mother nature had other ideas.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 12:30

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
Do all of the perimenopause symptoms disappear after menopause? I am 48 and I'm finding that I am super sensitive and get my feelings deeply wounded, very easily. I also get mini panic attacks, which I have not had before. I'm really getting pretty sick of myself. I do find that natural progesterone cream helps, as well as trying to focus on helping others... but I sure wish I could be done and over this stupid vulnerable feeling...

Just before I started taking Vit D in late November 2007, I had an attack of either something perimenopausal (I'm 45) or SAD, I don't know, but I just felt really really depressed for no good reason, almost tearful. A few days before that I was a puddle of tears because of a careless comment a neighbour made. I just didn't recognise myself, as I'm usually a fairly cheerful, happy-go-lucky type of gal.

Two days after the unfounded tearful moments I started taking Vit D3 (4,000IUs/day) and I've felt fine since. Less bad-tempered with my kids and husband and cat, better concentration and no depression or irritability prior to my period. Just generally more balanced and calmer about life in general.

Do you already take Vit D3? If not, now would be a time to try it out! It can't hurt, from what I've read. Check the "Great Vit D Experiment" thread on the challenges sub-forum if you need more information and want to hear about other people's experiences.

amanda