Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 12:09

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Potato History

Very interesting article.

Bo
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 12:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
Hmmm, no one seemed to enjoy my little article that I pasted in a few posts previously. I guess I'd better explain a bit more, having a little more background info than just that article.

Oooh! I read it and enjoyed it! I just did have anything I could add to that insightfulness!

Food fads aren't new are they?
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 12:57
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

What appears to be missing here is context.

For example: A man's kindergartner is being completely blitzed by low-fat/high-carb indoctrination. One of the examples is that they think potatoes -- and another example, french fries and corn -- are "healthy foods". Hence they dominate lunch.

(Not because they're healthy, really; because they're insanely cheap and keep for eons in storage, freezer or can.)

I guess this led to "why potatoes are so healthy".

In theory, you could graze on your lawn, and get some nutrients. I believe any discussion on 'what is healthy' should actually have some 'comparison' value.

If you fear fat and love carbs, potatoes are healthy.
If you think a LITTLE bit of nutrients is great, they are healthy.

If you fear carbs and love fats, potatoes are not healthy.
If you think that carbs which make you NEED more nutrients are more harmful than the minor nutrients they then supply, they are not healthy.

I don't always eat VLC. Sometimes I eat up to 100g a day (not often). And my theory about carbs is this:

Food = Meat.

Veggies and Fruits are "Nature's Vitamins" in case my clan is not currently eating all the organs from that variety of meat. However, 10,000 years of humans mucking about with them means most of them are much more candy than fruit.

Legumes, roots, and some of the more-mucked-with fruit and veg do have somenutrients.

Now if I really feel like eating a potato, and for some reason nothing can interfere with my great desire to eat 2-2.5 candy bar's worth of sugar-carbs at once (better yet, the high carb WITH high fat so the combination can gradually kill me...) then I will.

I am more likely to want to eat a candy bar, at half the carbs, and just eat one. Not commonly, obviously, or I wouldn't have lost any weight at all LOL, but if the ONLY thing people think is important is counting carbs, it fit in my day.

But healthy eating isn't just about carbs. It's about an overall nutritional profile. Potatoes have a little bit of nutrition. They are pretty outweighed by the problem elements they contain, but they do have some nutrition. If someone wants to eat a potato, then damn, eat a bleepin potato! The responsibility for good eating is going to come down to individual decisions on the part of an individual, period--and I don't think that this much glucose hitting the body is good for anybody (that it may take much longer for them to develop problems from it, or that the problems may be cancer instead of diabetes, is irrelevent)--but you know what, a single potato now and then, like a single candy bar, is unlikely to actually KILL anybody outright, unless they are seriously diabetic, or addicted to carbs or potatoes in a way that it starts a free-fall.

That being said, recognizing that individuals can eat however they choose--even when lowcarb--is not really the same as agreeing with the 'promotion' of foods that barely slide under the rail of decent when the cons are weighed against the pros.

And to be specific to this thread (this somehow got lost), indoctrinating children--they did it to mine too--with the idea that potatoes and corn and bread are what you should be eating, and very much meat will hurt you and dairy should be fat-free to the degree possible, is just asinine indoctrination, and to me is a prime example of why the government should get the hell out of education altogether, since they do mostly evil with it and as time goes on, less and less good.

PJ
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 13:09
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think anyone is saying potatoes should be controlled substance. The objection here is to indoctrinating kids into the high-carb religion that potatoes are a nutritious food and you should eat lots of them. They're a vegetable after all! 5 servings of french fries daily and you're cancer proof and probably immortal.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 18:12

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
People here would do well to head this advice. All I did was state a simple truth that potatoes are healthy and not empty calories as the OP suggested and I get presonally attacked for it.

QFT

Maybe it's your attitude, huh?
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 19:31
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The objection here is to indoctrinating kids into the high-carb religion that potatoes are a nutritious food and you should eat lots of them. They're a vegetable after all! 5 servings of french fries daily and you're cancer proof and probably immortal.

My stepmother actually TOLD my kid to eat her french fries because they were a vegetable. And she's a diabetic for godssakes! Between her being willing to fight about how it's bizarre and abusive of me not to feed my kid pasta, which has needed nutrients (?!) and it's just 'everything in moderation' you know (...) and the school indoctrination, it's been real work trying to keep my kid from being a nutritional moron. It's no wonder that when people first get fat they usually do the polar opposite of what they should be doing -- go low-fat, high-carb, and do aerobics.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 21:31

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
All I did was state a simple truth that potatoes are healthy

You confused us by using a definition of "healthy" we were unfamiliar with

I would write more, but I am off to do some healthy running with scissors
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 00:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/180/150 Male 170 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Maybe it's your attitude, huh?

What attitude?
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 08:04
Every moment is NOW.

I think maybe that's the new lowcarb insult. "Go eat potatoes!"
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 08:18

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
What attitude?

How should I know. It's your attitude.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 08:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Folks, the sarcasm meter is drifting into the "personal digs" range, so let's be big boys and girls and get back to objective discussion.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 09:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I think maybe that's the new lowcarb insult. "Go eat potatoes!"

Mr. Potato Head, arch-villain of the low carbers.

"Muahahahahaha! My laugh is an evil one. I shall put cornstarch in your lard!"
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/180/150 Male 170 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Folks, the sarcasm meter is drifting into the "personal digs" range, so let's be big boys and girls and get back to objective discussion.

Thank you. The personal digs and verbal abuse I've been getting here are totally uncalled for.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 10:25

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

See? I told you potatoes were evil!

#105   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 10:35
Experimenter

BF:

I knew if anyone could find proof, it'd be you, Wifezilla!