Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 12:24

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Beans, any whole grains, fruit all raise my BGs. So I eat more protein than some - fitness site recommends upwards of 1 gram per pound of lean body mass - I think I am a little lower than that. Usually lots of vegetables, and high fat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 12:33

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I wouldn't know a low GI fruit if it bit me in the buttocks....

I haven't found a forbidden fruit in the last several months, just watch not to eat too much of any one fruit and not eat too many fruits at any one time........

When my wife took over my food consumption list, she slowly introduced fruits into my diet for snacks, then sneaked a little bit of fruit into vegetable salads. At the beginning, I think I was able to handle fruits with pits better than fruits with seeds, but that's been a while and now, any fruit seems ok, as long as I don't over-indulge.....
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 13:15
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo

Cajunboy invited comments about our experiences with the claims in his posts, and the comment about fruit there does not specify what fruit or format. I was just saying, in my experience the rise I can get from fruit puree is enough to fix a hypo. They are pear and apple purees...so now you can all scream YIKES at once. In puree form there is no fibre in the fruit either. I am still experimenting, but I am wondering if natural fructose hits me harder than sucrose does. So I was putting in my vote re the theory that fruit has a low GI, as claimed in the original post. Vote is

Fruit raises BG very quickly. It doesn't go straight to the liver to get tucked away as fat. There are some fruits I can bolus for and not get an unacceptable number and some that are so fast that I avoid. I can eat a 26 carb apple as part of a meal and probably a pear with meals. My strategy is to figure out what combination of foods I can put together, come up with a bolus and have that bolus keep my BG under 100.

Oats are the only grains I eat because I can do a dual bolus for 80 grams of oats and never break 90. I use half and half on the oats. Most type 2s have to restrict grains and fruits.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 13:40

Posted by LowCarbUgh
Quote:
Most type 2s have to restrict grains and fruits.

I think most diabetics restrict grains and fruits.

Most of the time, when I eat fruits, my BG is in the 80s' and at 2 hours after eating the fruits, my BG is back in the 80s'. The few times I checked at an hour after, its been around 125, so fruits apparently cause a rise and a fall in my BG numbers that are equal in speed both ways... It wasn't always that way and it took a lot of changes to get to that point that I can enjoy fruit again and without the worry of run away numbers...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 15:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I've been looking at diet differently lately. There are many people on these forums eating Atkins style who never become slim or even in the normal weight range. Either they are all lying or there is something about the way they are eating Atkins which doesn't work.

I decided to look at cultures who are naturally slim and free of lifestyle diseases. Not necessarily paleo and certainly not the way it is done here with high animal fat. I looked at the diets of contemporary foragers and they are high in vegetables and root vegetables, high in fiber (100 grams or more per day), lower in saturated fat (because game animals are naturally low in saturated fat), devoid of grains, high in Omega 3s from nuts, high in low-glycemic fruit (as wild fruit is not as sweet as our selectively-bred fruit). They also exercise a lot.

That is more what I'm aiming for in my diet.

I wonder how many of those cultures contain members who became very overweight to obese and then became slim again? IMO, I think part of the problem in becoming slim (at least by most people's standards) after you have been very overweight or obese is that it somehow changes the body in a way that makes it very difficult, if not nearly impossible, to turn back the clock and go back to where you were before you gained all that weight.
The odds of becoming even close to normal weight after being overweight are darned discouraging no matter what method people use to shed the pounds. Does that mean they can't become slimmer? I don't think so. Does that mean it's darned difficult to become 'slim by today's standards'? I do think so.
Then again, given the recent research that shows it's indeed possible to be fit and fat, perhaps the hype over being 'slim' is overrated? Especially considering that it was those in the 'overweight' category that seemed to have the lowest mortality rates and isn't that what most of us are after...to live longer?
Just sayin'....
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 15:46
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N

The odds of becoming even close to normal weight after being overweight are darned disc ouraging no matter what method people use to shed the pounds. Does that mean they can't become slimmer? I don't think so. Does that mean it's darned difficult to become 'slim by today's standards'? I do think so.
Then again, given the recent research that shows it's indeed possible to be fit and fat, perhaps the hype over being 'slim' is overrated? Especially considering that was those in the 'overweight' category that seemed to have the lowest mortality rates and isn't that what most of us are after...to live longer?
Just sayin'....

I don't know if everyone can lose to the normal weight range. But I think it is important in terms of diabetes because it decreases insulin resistance to a great degree. The amount of insulin required at a higher weight is substantially more than the amount required at a lower weight. For a type 1, it is almost a logarithmic relationship. More insulin begets insulin resistance. My personal goal is to avoid that at all costs and maintain health. It is not so much a cosmetic thing, but a practical thing for me. I don't think people should give up, particularly if they have diabetes or insulin resistance.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 16:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think it's important to differentiate between a way of eating that helps people or a culture in general remain at a good weight and one that helps people achieve a good weight after having been overweight. One does not necessarily equal the other.
I can't speak to type 1's but in type 2's, losing even 10-15% of your total weight is often enough to substantially reduce blood sugar readings (and therefore insulin requirements). I know for myself, I'm not yet slim by most people's standards, but I'm not having any trouble maintaining good blood sugars and A1C readings unless I'm sick or very stressed and I'm fairly content with where I'm at.
Fruits, other than berries and some melons in moderation, don't work for me and cause spikes that I'd rather not see. Same goes for grains, whole or otherwise.
I can eat a large steak (8+ oz.) and not see a rise of more than a few points on my meeter even after several hours.
I eat lots of veggies and a decent variety and supplement with Krill oil and Vitamin D during the cooler/cold months.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 16:12
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I can eat a large steak (8+ oz.) and not see a rise of more than a few points on my meeter even after several hours.
I eat lots of veggies and a decent variety and supplement with Krill oil and Vitamin D during the cooler/cold months.

Yes, type 2s have much flatter BGs. The 8 ounce steak would give me a rise 6 hours later so I never eat more than 4 or so ounces of protein. I was cooking a big batch of veggies this afternoon consisting of cabbage, squash, sugar snap peas, onions, garlic and seasoning them along with way. Of course, I had to taste them as I went along so I probably ate about 1/2 cup which sent my BG from 89 to 156. That's the kind of problems I deal with. I also have to take insulin in 1/2 to 1/4 units probably 10 times per day to maintain a normal BG no matter what I eat. Insulin resistance makes it a lot worse.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 07:11

Plan: Atkins - Bernstein
Stats: 218/203/170 Male 71 inches
BF:Yep!
Progress: 31%

Cajunboy you raise some very interesting questions. I would love to know the truth about insulin resistance and how to get rid of it. LOL.

I would wholeheartedly agree with the fact that too much protein slows or reverses weight loss. In my experience too much protein raises BS and thus, if you are producing exogenous insulin, produce more insulin to store it away as fat. In my case I am injecting insulin and require more to put away the glucose generated from the protein. So for me when I overconsume protein, I have to take massive amounts of insulin to handle the BS and thus GAIN weight while low carbing (or stall as the case may be).

I would love to know if resistance training really does improve insulin sensitivity. I have read that it can take months to see an improvement. Me sticking with the months part is the problem ;-)
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 07:53

Plan: Atkins - Bernstein
Stats: 218/203/170 Male 71 inches
BF:Yep!
Progress: 31%

excuse me...I meant to say 'idea' not 'fact'.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrennsk
Cajunboy you raise some very interesting questions. I would love to know the truth about insulin resistance and how to get rid of it. LOL.

I would wholeheartedly agree with the fact that too much protein slows or reverses weight loss. In my experience too much protein raises BS and thus, if you are producing exogenous insulin, produce more insulin to store it away as fat. In my case I am injecting insulin and require more to put away the glucose generated from the protein. So for me when I overconsume protein, I have to take massive amounts of insulin to handle the BS and thus GAIN weight while low carbing (or stall as the case may be).

I would love to know if resistance training really does improve insulin sensitivity. I have read that it can take months to see an improvement. Me sticking with the months part is the problem ;-)

From reading the various posts, I'm seeing how protein is as much of a problem for some as carbs are for others.

I can tell you that resistance training can absolutely make a difference. If a person is doing no resistance training now and just used their own body to do resistance training, it would be better than nothing at all. It is called Isometrics... see the referenced link below:

http://www.howtodothings.com/health...-exercises.html
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 09:39

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
From reading the various posts, I'm seeing how protein is as much of a problem for some as carbs are for others.

I think the problem is too much protein, because of gluconeogenesis.

Some links about it

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.c...kes-it-own.html

http://www.med.unibs.it/~marchesi/gluconeo.html

The simple way to put it, in case anyone tries the links and thinks that you would have to be a 25th Century Uber Chemist to understand them (you are right, you would ) is your liver can make glucose from protein. Without a glucose supply, the human brain cannot work, (obvious to anyone who is familiar with hypoglycemia ) but it has to in order to keep you alive. Therefore, if the body does not get glucose for your brain from your diet, your liver makes it from protein. If it cannot find glucose or protein from your diet to use, it takes it from less important parts of you, and uses them as protein instead...hence muscle wastage can result.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 09:49

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

I've heard that your body can turn up to 60% of protein into glucose.

I need to find the stats.

~Danielle
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 09:54
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrennsk

Exercise substantially reduces my insulin requirements. I do mostly cardio, but any exercise works in that regard. I eat more carbs just to exercise and use less insulin at 80 carbs than at 30. This might not work for you. I can't exercise as well without the carbs. YMMV.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 10:04

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Exercise substantially reduces my insulin requirements. I do mostly cardio, but any exercise works in that regard. I eat more carbs just to exercise and use less insulin at 80 carbs than at 30. This might not work for you. I can't exercise as well without the carbs. YMMV.

And here I am hoping that exercise will give me a more comfortable excuse for eating fruit than hypos...