Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

So there are no magic pills or potions,Dave, no precision methods that will blast the weight off you. But that doesn't mean you are doomed to a life of deprivation. All hype aside, a ketogenic diet is the best most of us will ever do. Sure it involves lifestyle changes - not mere cosmetic time-limited changes that will peel off x number of pounds so that we can go back to digging our graves with our teeth. But reluctance to do so goes right back to that nasty "deprivation" attitude. Let's get one thing straight...being deprived of the things that made us fat, angry, depressed and ill is a blessing, not a curse! But we have been so brain-washed by commercial advertising, our tastebuds so perverted by decades of carbohydrate overload, and our bodies turned into carb-craving blobs, that we can't see ourselves succeeding w/o our favourite foods. And we love them all! Wrong mindset. Get a couple good lc cookbooks and drool over what you can have. Learn to cook, and you won't be helpless. (Hey, many of us had to learn, even at an advanced age, to cook certain things from scratch. ) Best wishes, Dave, you CAN do it.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 10:13

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Cool Change your thinking patterns!!!

Dave! Change the mindset...you're not "attempting" to do Atkins, you're "doing" Atkins. When one makes an "attempt," what, in fact does that mean? "I attempted to climb the mountain." Does that mean that you just looked at it? If you actually began to scale its' sides, you didn't "attempt" to climb it, you climbed it! You may not have reached the top, but you still climbed the mountain. Do you see what I'm talking about? Often, it's the very subtle, almost unnoticed things we say and do, that defeat us. Today, you're on the Atkins WOE and WOL. Do it for 90 days, and I can guarantee that you will lose weight and feel much better about yourself (mind and body). If you "fall off the wagon" a few times, so what? This is a Way of Life...LIFE... Just get right back on. Don't beat yourself up about it. Face it. Like the rest of us, you're a "carboholic." Besides, the deeper into this WOE you get, the less difference it will make if you "fall," once in a while.

Thinny is right. Get a couple of good LC cookbooks and teach yourself to cook. That way, when a craving starts, you can take the time to get out the book, read a recipe, and make the concoction...all of that takes time...and the preparation takes your mind off your craving and helps to set your mind to a healthy choice. Another thing to do, is to take water with you, wherever you go. Whenever you get a craving, take a swig of water...it really does work to alleviate that craving for a small time...besides, you'll be irrigating your system of toxins, and hydrating yourself, to boot! Recent research shows that overweight people are usually more dehydrated than non-overweight people. They think they are hungry when, in fact, all they really need is water! Pure water...not diet soda, or lemonade...or even tea...Pure water. Our systems got so polluted with toxins, and so mishaped by carbohydrate cravings that we forgot about the one most-necessary ingredient in our bodies...pure water.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 20:21

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
Default Health

Hi, all, I totally agree with all your reasons why we are hating being fat..... I know I experienced most if not all of those things, and yes, felt that horrible sinking feeling inside.

So, I thought I would add some of my personal reasons why I hate being fat.

My main reason for losing weight, is my health. I have asthma, and now am facing taking medication for high cholesterol.

I know my weight has not helped the asthma, and definately hasn't helped the high cholesterol.... and no other diet has changed any of that.

I also, really hate the shock of a glance in a window or mirror, and seeing a person that I don't really feel is me.

I wish all the best and the strength to continue with LCing and success to all. Thank you for your inspirations
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 15:20
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 170/150/145 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Cool hmmm

Let's see...

1. CLOTHES!!! I have really cute jeans from before I had kids that I will fit into again. I want to love clothes shopping with the girls again!

2. Energy ... I want to run with my kids and play baseball and coach soccer and all that stuff!

3. My husband ... I worship the man. He loves me no matter what and doesn't care what I do or don't do, look or don't look like. He wants me to be happy.

Shelley
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 00:43
Registered Member

Plan: me
Stats: 193.2/193.2/110 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default the reasons i hate being fat

well i guess my biggest reason is my appearance inside my head doesn't match the reality.I see myself in the mirror(i avoid them mostly)and am shocked and depressed. I keep saying things like;i used to be a knock-out.I want to be that again. I want to be a clothes horse.I want to enjoy my middle and old years.I want to look sexy again.I want people to stop saying she's fat BUT she's got a nice personality.I want to be taken seriously for who I am. The weight (in skinny people's eyes) diminishes all that I am and all that i hope to be !

Marie
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:00

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 248/230/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Why I hate being fat, and why I want to be thin....

1. I can't wear my original wedding band that I got married in
6 years ago, and that breaks my heart.

2. I want to be able to take my 1yr old and 3 yr old to the park
and play without feeling like I 'm going to die of heat exhaustion!

3. I try to be stylish and it is so hard when you have to buy fat
clothes.

4. I want to have wonderful, passionate sex with my husband
like we used to.

5. I don't want to have to buy bras from a web site called
Biggerbras.com! (no kidding)

6. I want to shave my legs with out wondering if I missed
something on the back of my expansive thigh!

7. I work in a very busy deli/pub, and I want to wait on customers
without them thinking I eat everything on the menu everyday.

8. I want to love myself as much as I love my children and
my husband.

9. I want to go back to college and not be embarassed to
give speeches etc....

10. I want to be healthy.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 08:32
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default I hear ya Topazmom!

Thanks for your post. I added another one to my 75 reasons (now 76) why I hate being fat list. My ring doesn't fit either. It's nothing fancy, just a gold band. But the sentiment behind that gold band...it should be on my finger! And it will be.

You're doing the right thing with your new WOE. Congratulations. We will both wear those rings again!
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:50
Registered Member

Stats: 306.5/292.5/130
BF:
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up

Why do I hate being fat?

I hate the fact that I have to live the way I do...

Things that come second nature to other folks is always such a big freakin' production if you're big...

I can't cross my legs...

I hate my legs in shorts...

I'm usually the biggest one in the room regardless of where I go...

I hate elastic...

Conversations about weight always make me feel selfconscious...

I pay more for my clothes than a slim person...
And incidentally, where exactly is it written that clothes for big girls must have at least one flower, animal, sequin, or buggle bead, or be other wise "bedazzled" in some way???

What else is there to say? Being fat is a drag.

~thanks for listening~

oh, by the way...is it just me, or is DWRolfe a cutie ?
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 12:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default nope...it's not just you

He definately is a hottie!!
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:05

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%

Whoa! DWRolfe! Watch out!
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 20:41

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 316/228/150.0 Female 5'3
BF:54
Progress: 53%
Wink

Boy, I agree with just about all the posts so far! I just came back to this site yesterday after trying it for a short while in January. Frustration and humiliation made me stop coming. I felt like a loser. I am feeling alot better about things now and I hope and pray my motivation stays fired up! I wanted to tell you why I HATE BEING FAT, but so much of it has already been said....I hate mirrors SO much. I too have trouble coping with the fact that the woman in the mirror is REALLY me...It doesn't "look" like I feel....the woman in the mirror has a swollen, marshmallowy face. It's almost like I AM wearing a fat suit. I wish I could shed it! I also hate becoming breathless so easily. That is SOOOOO embarassing. A flight of stairs or trying to keep up with a thin persons pace walking somewhere... I hate worrying about my health at 35. I hate not being able to play a full game of baseball with my kids. Knees and lungs don't allow that. I also agree with the ones who mentioned asking for a table instead of a booth. I can fit, but it wouldn't be pretty. Oh, boy, could I go on... I don't want to seem like I hate life. I love it. I have a great husband and wonderful kids. I am blessed. However, I'd enjoy all this much more if I were in shape. I want to wish each and everyone of you good luck with your WOE. My prayers are with you all. I need all I can get too!

Kelly
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 01:49

Stats: 322/312/150
BF:
Progress: 6%

I hate being fat because of all the reasons before (I read everyone with tears in my eyes)........But the #1 reason why I hate being fat is because it hurts . I am sure that you all experience this pain on a daily basis. It hurts so much to experience all these "side effects" of being over weight. It hurts my soul, it hurts my spirit , it hurts my heart. It hurts that people don't see me as a real person. It hurts that they can't see that I am wearing a $200 outfit, that am carrying a "TOMMY" purse and that I have on KSwiss tennie shoes. It hurts that they don't notice that I spent an hour on my hair and makeup. Would they notice if I had the 1 kt diamond on my finger. Do you think that they might try to start a conversation with me while we stand in line or are waiting in a lobby or waiting room etc....NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!You see I am from another planet. The "FAT" one. Worst of all I bet that they could care less that I am smart and I have big heart, that I love animals and I am probably the best freind that they could ever have. Do they care that without knowing them and regardless of what they looked like that if they stopped me out on the street and needed my help, I would be willing to lend them some money or give them cables or loan them my cell phone. Do they notice that I have three gorgeous kids and that my husband is a handsome man. Now don't get me wrong. I speak not of the people that are our friends and our family who love us no matter what. I am talking about the Uneducated person that Whispers behind our back, or even in front of our faces. They think that since we are from another planet we don't know what they are talking about or don't care. I bet they don't even know that when I lose weight and they find out that I am from earth I will befriend them and help them. You see they must be in pain as well, they too are from a different planet, the "UNEDUCATED" one.
No more pain is my goal! For me and for them!
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 11:25
Registered Member

BF:
Default well said claudine

Hi All,

Very well said Claudine ! Your post has me bawling (it touched me ). I needed that very much. You see, I went off the WOE on Friday. Iwas so sick on Thursday and Friday that I chickened out . Sigh, such is life. Your post has given me the reminder of all I have to gain by losing. I am back in the battle once again thank-you so much !

Marie
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:18

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Claudine,
I am touched by your post. I know how you feel. But I wonder...has being overweight actually made us better people...more caring, tolerant, loving? I hope so. I know this isn't necessarily on topic. And I don't wish "fatness" on anyone, but I wonder if this affliction has made us better people. Instead of the uneducated and shallow people that do make comments behind our backs. Just a thought. Victoria

We are here for you and hope for success in your low carb journey.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:31
Registered Member

Stats: 306.5/292.5/130
BF:
Progress: 8%