Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/273/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Breastfeeding Mommies?

Hi ladies! This is my first post, just trying to work my way into getting involved. Wondering if there are any other BFing mommies here. If so, what plan are you on and how old is your little one?

I'm BFing a toddler, and kinda doing my own thing (just general low carb) that has worked well for me in the past.

Hope to get to know you all soon!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 15:02

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I'm finally finished breastfeeding, but did extended nursing on all three of time, and the last couple of years was low carb.

Welcome to the club.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 16:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I didn't discover LC until after my youngest child weaned. I wish I'd discovered it when my 2nd was born- I probably wouldn't be carrying around this extra 40 lbs that, after a decade, my body is reluctant to part with!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: GI Diet
Stats: 188/137/124 Female 164cm
BF:35/29/20
Progress: 80%

I'm breastfeeding a nearly 5 month old. I'm doing a general healthy eating approach. In the past I've suffered with various eating disorders (mostly binging and fasting) and I really know this is not safe or healthy for either me or my nursing baby. I'm slightly worried that when I stop breastfeeding I will return to my old ways and I'm going to try really hard to stop that from happening. In the meantime I'm happy with this approach and the weight seems to be coming off but not too fast (1-2lbs a week)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 12:11

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

I, too, am nursing a toddler (15 mos.). I started off doing a paleo type diet which allows for a bit more carbs. Now that DS is eating real food and nursing a bit less, I feel more comfortable doing a stricter version of Atkins and cutting back on my calories. So far, milk supply is still good. I find that I really need to watch my calories or else I can't lose weight. For the first 2 months while I was breastfeeding (before low-carb) I was actually GAINING weight. Breastfeeding, in itself, did not yield any weight loss for me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: GI Diet
Stats: 188/137/124 Female 164cm
BF:35/29/20
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenders
Breastfeeding, in itself, did not yield any weight loss for me.
This is happening to me too. I really want to lose weight but also really want to keep nursing ho hum
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 09:29

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My baby is 3 months old. I have lost only 3 pounds since the delivery and I gain and lose those in a day. I am just starting back on CAD but would love to have some online friends that are also BFing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 21:15

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi there, I am bf my 7-month-old and pumping at work 3 nights a week. I think it has helped to lose weight, but then I have been so busy that I have not really been cooking which has lead to too much processed (read:carbs) foods, so I actually have gained 13 lbs. I am hoping to get back to a more low-carb llifestyly. I have been trying to feed the baby mostly veggies, meats then fruits/carbs.

by the way, she still does not like formula--I have tried about 3 different bottles over the last few months with the samplels I have just to see.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 08:51

Stats: 165/162.5/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:way to much!!
Progress: 5%

I am bfing my 14 mo. old.

Blenders- I had the same bfing problem! Lost all 30 lbs at birth, gained all back plus some during the first couple of months bfing.....then began LC. Now kick myself for not starting sooner.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 07:39
Go Big or Go Home

Plan: I plan to lose weight!!
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:47.65/25.28/28.8
Progress: 0%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbethin
Blenders- I had the same bfing problem! Lost all 30 lbs at birth, gained all back plus some during the first couple of months bfing.....then began LC. Now kick myself for not starting sooner.

Ditto for me. I'm now nursing #3 and this is the 3rd time this has happened. When I was pg (because I gain very little WHILE pg) I would tell people that my gain would come afterwards when nursing and the ones who didn't know me with my 1st two didn't believe me. Sadly they do now.

I'm not making the mistake of waiting to finish nursing before I resume LC this time tho....just wish I had started right after delivery, but Miss Fussy Pants/Cluster Eater barely let me put her down to pee/shower/brush teeth, so making healthy meals was completely out of the question. She's not much better now, but crying for a few mins./day isn't going to kill her either.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 194/178.0/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Hi and a question!!

HI everyone!!
I'm a mom to baby aged 19 months! Wow, how did he get so fast! One minute a baby the next an Olympic sprinter! We also are still nursing, hoping to make it to 2 years. Like all of you guys, I am doing better on Atkins, LC than anything I have tried. Exercise, low fat, low cal (yeah, that was fun while trying to nurse, WTH was I thinkin!) none of it really worked. Since starting Atkins I'm down a good 8 pounds! In a little over three weeks! Wow! I hope it keeps on coming off this easy, knock on wood. I too wish I had started this months ago, I've been seriously miserable. My husband is a slim good lookin guy and I feel so dumpy when we go out together. Though he's usually carrying our son in an Ergo carrier so thankfully he's not too interested in what other people think!
I'm so glad to have other nursing mamas to chat with while doing Atkins! On that note....here's a question--Has anyone who's doing or done Atkins induction, have you had a hard time curbing the sweet craving? I've been battling it with a bit too much sweetened (splenda) cream and am trying not to but...oh, I need something yummy! And sometimes Jello just doesn't hit the spot, even after two or three cups
I'm thinking of trying the Lcarnitine but wonder if it's ok while nursing?? Anyone know??

Thanks again and hope to hear back sometime!

mknov
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 14:11

BF:
Progress:

Anything that is a food supplement is fine. L-carnitine is an amino acid, so go for it. Personally, I find cream cheese or bacon kills sweet cravings.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 05:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 208/238/130 Female 5'2
BF:37%/37%/25%
Progress: -38%

I'm breastfedding my 1 month old son as well, I had a hectic pregnancy with nausea and migraines instead of gaining I lost 15 lbs then after delivery I lost 10 more ..it's been a month or so and I gain 5 pounds back .grhhh!! I have cravings now of chocolate and that's when I decided it's time to go back to LC..
I am starting going tothe gym too. Do you think is ok going LC while nursing??
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 14:29

BF:
Progress:

Absolutely. Ketones don't pass into breastmilk, and exercise is fine. It wasn't too long ago that bf women didn't have any choice about exercise, it wasn't optional, it was part of life.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 15:06

Plan: Optimal Ketogenic Living
Stats: 214.8/167.4/170 Female 5ft 6in
BF:restart 4/14-215
Progress: 106%

It is sooo nice to see so many of you doing LC and extended BFing. I wish that I had done that. Instead I BF for 3 yrs then started LCing again. I think that if I had never stopped LCing, I would have had alot less brain fog(hormones?) and a lot less weight gain while BFing.

Enjoy this time in your life with the little ones and keep up the great work.