Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:33

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"No, that's LADA. It is a slow form of type 1. MODY is a form of type 2. His uncle may have had LADA, who knows? If he had sky-high blood sugars and poor control, he may have well had LADA. There are some simple tests for LADA that look for anti-bodies attacking the pancreatic cells. But some researchers believe that thin people do not really have type 2. I tend to believe it too because type 2 improves so much with weight loss."

Yeah, he's about at the bottom of his weight scale at 136 - can't imagine him being much skinnier.

"Good luck with the tests! "

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:45

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Janine, I would look at what he ate for the 8 hours prior to his low. Protein can spike BG, especially when you are eating very low carb. It is a real problem for insulin-dependent diabetics because it can take 7 or 8 hours before the protein converts to glucose.

I did the run on Tuesday. I had the peach on Thursday. The worst day of symptoms was Friday - I was too tired to even take a reading until 11PM, but by then my BG was 86.

On Sunday I was feeling better, but I recorded BG of 64 at 10AM, 5:50PM, and 6:50 PM. I didn't eat on Sunday until 5:50PM, except for a teaspoon of coconut milk in water at 11AM and an "African elixir" herb tea with rooibos at 2PM.

Monday I had a crash in the middle of the day. My BG was 72 at 1PM and 67 at 1:20PM. I felt better after going outside and going shopping with my mother and the kids. At 6:30PM I had my first meal (forgot to check levels) and at 7:30 BG was 69. I felt reasonable - a bit tired but not imploding. At 10:50 BG was 79 and I was crashing. But I recovered and felt fine till bedtime around 12:30.

My appointment is tomorrow. I'm dreading the GTT - I'm afraid it's going to knock me out for days. I haven't had that much sugar in about 2 years. I don't just have crashes with sugar, I have horrible stomach cramps, nausea, headaches and dizziness.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 15:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You should have them check your insulin levels too, not just blood sugar. Also, you're supposed to about 120 grams of carbs for 3 days before a GTT. You might want to postpone if you haven't geared up for it.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You should have them check your insulin levels too, not just blood sugar. Also, you're supposed to about 120 grams of carbs for 3 days before a GTT. You might want to postpone if you haven't geared up for it.

You're effing kidding me. No effing way.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 16:04
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Following a low-carb diet makes one a little glucose intolerant, which is the reason that the instructions for a glucose tolerance test always include the admonition to eat plenty of carbs in the week before the test. Why? Because all the macronutrients–glucose, fat and protein–are broken down by enzymes during the metabolic process. And all the enzymes necessary for the metabolism of the various macronutrients are made on demand but not immediately. If you are on a high carbohydrate diet, then you will have plenty of enzymes on hand to deal with the carbohydrates you consume. If you switch to a low-carbohydrate diet, it takes a while to manufacture the enzymes in the quantities needed to deal with the extra fat and protein that your metabolic system hadn’t been exposed to. This deficiency of protein/fat metabolizing enzymes is the reason people starting a low-carb diet become so easily fatigued–they’ve got plenty of enzymes on hand to break down carbs, they just don’t have the carbs to metabolize. Once they produce the enzymes necessary to deal with the load of protein and fat, which takes a few days, they become low-carb adapted and no longer feel fatigued.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ow-carb-caveat/

I think your results might be off if you don't get your body geared up for it properly. How about eating some yams, bananas, dates and that sort of thing for a few days? You can stick to paleo at least.

I think Atkins mentions this in his book too.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 20:46
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I did the run on Tuesday. I had the peach on Thursday. The worst day of symptoms was Friday - I was too tired to even take a reading until 11PM, but by then my BG was 86.

On Sunday I was feeling better, but I recorded BG of 64 at 10AM, 5:50PM, and 6:50 PM. I didn't eat on Sunday until 5:50PM, except for a teaspoon of coconut milk in water at 11AM and an "African elixir" herb tea with rooibos at 2PM.

Monday I had a crash in the middle of the day. My BG was 72 at 1PM and 67 at 1:20PM. I felt better after going outside and going shopping with my mother and the kids. At 6:30PM I had my first meal (forgot to check levels) and at 7:30 BG was 69. I felt reasonable - a bit tired but not imploding. At 10:50 BG was 79 and I was crashing. But I recovered and felt fine till bedtime around 12:30.

My appointment is tomorrow. I'm dreading the GTT - I'm afraid it's going to knock me out for days. I haven't had that much sugar in about 2 years. I don't just have crashes with sugar, I have horrible stomach cramps, nausea, headaches and dizziness.

I don't see how a peach could have had an effect so long after it was metabolized. A 1 hour post prandial BG of 69 is very low. I hope the doc can find a reason because I know you are doing everything you can do to eat a healthy diet that is timed for your body.

I'm not sure if you need to carb up for your GTT because they aren't looking for diabetes and high blood sugars. Carbing up would prevent an erroneous abnormal high, but I'm unsure of how it will affect the low readings. You insulin levels should be of more interest because of your chronic lows.

Good luck on the test and I hope it isn't too horrible.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 13:50

I went to the doc (actually she's a nurse practitioner; we avoid MDs as much as possible). She was totally not worried. They checked my BG there (it was about 9AM) - it was 115. I tried immediately with my kit and it only showed 95, so maybe I've been getting low readings. But at any rate, it was much higher that morning. Probably since I ran the half-mile to the doctor's office.

She said there's no way I'm going to get diabetes, and I'll just have to live with the occasional episode of fatigue, etc. She didn't think it was a sign of anything worse. No GTT or any more tests - she thinks a lot of tests are a waste of time.

Here's hoping it continues to get better on its own!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 14:05
Dazed and Confused

BF:

You need a new meter, mikee! If my meter was 20 points off I would be in big trouble.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 14:31

BF:

Mike didn't metnion the best part - the doc thought that intermittent fasting was absolutely the correct way to handle the problem (that's what he's learned through trial and error). I was surprised, but she recommends it for her Type II's.

Janine
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 15:13
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Mike didn't metnion the best part - the doc thought that intermittent fasting was absolutely the correct way to handle the problem (that's what he's learned through trial and error). I was surprised, but she recommends it for her Type II's.

Janine

Wow! That's a heck of a good doctor!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 22:04

BF:

I just told my boss about it because he's having a hard time controlling his BG but he's very motivated. He was a political prisoner and is no stranger to fasting so I thought IF might be up his alley. He's going to try it! I need to give him an article, if anyone has suggestions.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 08:08
Experimenter

BF:

How about the one DR. Eades posted in his blog that got us all excited?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 08:20
Dazed and Confused

BF:

IF will work for some diabetics, but not for others. Some have high fasting BG levels and need small amounts of food during the day to stimulate their pancreas to make insulin. They can even have higher BGs by eating nothing. I know it sounds weird, but it is true.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 15:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Quote:

Janine

I am not surprised. Being hypoglycemic lc and IF have been the utmost in controlling my issues. I am on the road to type 2 so I am hoping that IF and LC can prevent the onset. Good luck to y'all.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 15:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Quote:
I just told my boss about it because he's having a hard time controlling his BG but he's very motivated. He was a political prisoner and is no stranger to fasting so I thought IF might be up his alley. He's going to try it! I need to give him an article, if anyone has suggestions.

I do believe that the best way to do this and control your glucose/insulin issues is you need to do LC.