Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 07:03
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I'm excited for you! This is kind of an exciting time, you'll be amazed at how quickly you become a runner! Keep it up!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 20:31

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I'm excited for you! This is kind of an exciting time, you'll be amazed at how quickly you become a runner! Keep it up!

Thanks Valerie....I'm amazed at myself... I used to love running in my teens and twenties...but in my 30's well marriage got in the way...work....but mostly my crazy marriage.... I've been longing to get back into it but really just didnt have the energy or ambition to do it...but I just decided that I had to get out there and try! I'm quite proud of myself and very excited. Thanks for the kind words....

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Thu, Jul-24-08 at 00:14.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 00:17

I've been reading a lot of articles about how people are not losing that much weight while jogging. So I did a little research on the subject and found an interesting article about interval training to lose weight...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Jogging-a...t-It&id=1291884

Hope you find it as interesting as I did....

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Thu, Jul-24-08 at 00:23.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 07:18

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

That seems like a very strange article.... I can see the reasoning behind it.

But the statement "Listen, if you ever wondered why a lot of joggers look so weak and have no ab muscles, the above mistake is the reason why. Avoid it and you'll be 10 times better off." struck me as a little off.

I think I'll keep jogging, I feel better doing it. Although one thing I do agree with is interval. Even when running 1/2 marathons I never ran more than 10 minute stretches. I'd run 10/ walk 1.

I also noticed in that article that there was no mention of weight training on your off running days. This is a very important part of being a runner in making sure you keep your muscle strength.

Interesting article though, thank you!

TJ. How's it going? You running today?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea
That seems like a very strange article.... I can see the reasoning behind it.

But the statement "Listen, if you ever wondered why a lot of joggers look so weak and have no ab muscles, the above mistake is the reason why. Avoid it and you'll be 10 times better off." struck me as a little off.

I think I'll keep jogging, I feel better doing it. Although one thing I do agree with is interval. Even when running 1/2 marathons I never ran more than 10 minute stretches. I'd run 10/ walk 1.

I also noticed in that article that there was no mention of weight training on your off running days. This is a very important part of being a runner in making sure you keep your muscle strength.

Interesting article though, thank you!

TJ. How's it going? You running today?

Hey Linnea,

Today is my off day so I will do Pilates... The running is going fine. With all the weight that I have to lose I am worried about my knees but they felt better on the second run than they did on the first run....

Yes I did notice they didn't mention strength training in this article but have read about it in other articles...

Hope you have a terrific day!

TJ
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 08:46

Double post....
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 08:58

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

So, have you registered for your 5K?!!! It will help your motivation to know a race is looming. I finished a 5K after 3 weeks running, so don't pick a race too far out.

Janine
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 12:43

BF:

1.25 mi today! Still 1 min run/1 min walk. Next run I think I'll try 2 min run/1 min walk
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 12:46

BF:

TJ, what do you say about doing a run at the end of August? We have a fun run out here for Aug 28.

Have you got any out there around the same time?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea
TJ, what do you say about doing a run at the end of August? We have a fun run out here for Aug 28.

Have you got any out there around the same time?

Hey Janine and Linnea...I'm seven weeks out before I have completed the program so that puts me at September... Right now I am looking at two possible races in my area in October... Trying to get my ex to sign up for one of them with me... I think August is too soon for me... My third run this week is tomorrow so I need to get some rest so I'll check back in with you guys tomorrow...

TJ
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 21:43

BF:

Having a race will be a great motivator. I started running in December so the race pickings were slim - I had to do the one three weeks out or miss doimg one for a couple of months.

Janine
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Having a race will be a great motivator. I started running in December so the race pickings were slim - I had to do the one three weeks out or miss doimg one for a couple of months.

Janine

Hey Janine,

Wow that was pretty soon....definitely know I'm not ready for that. Today's run was a serious challenge....I was fatigued from the beginning and didn't have the umph that I needed this morning. I completed the intervals fine, but my left knee is starting to bother me.... I have no idea what it is, as I said I've experienced it at the gym before and thought it was the extra weight since I haven't had the problem before. Hopefully a brace will help with that. So W1D3 completed! On the the second week... Boy I think this is going to be harder than I imagined....oh well I need a challenge.

Hope everyone has a terrific running day!

TJ
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 10:10

Well today did W2D2 of my C25k Program... I was more energized due to some carbs last night. I don't eat before the run, but try to drink two glasses of water... It went very well and I ran a 4 minute interval as my final one....slow but doable...

Hope everyone has a great day. I am surprising myself...and am hoping that this helps with some of other things going on in my life...like weight loss...stress...and medical imbalances...

Wishing you all well today...

TJ
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 10:38

BF:

TJ if you have access to a pool, deep water running can be very helpful with avoiding injuries. For me, running in the pool was always as effective as a land workout in training. I've had a little problem with my knees - actually it happened when I lost alot of weight quickly - my knees had to realign or something. Just go slow.

Janine
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 03:08

Thanks Janine for the advice... I don't have access to one but wish I did.... I've been going very slow and trying to run on the balls of my feet as someone suggested and so far it is working... I actually can't believe I am doing this but it seems to be working....haven't lost any weight though but that is because I have eating junk lately...frustrated with weight loss...since March 15 pounds geez... Was hoping this would give it a boost. Well let's see how I do on my eating plan this week...along with the running...cross your fingers for me ....

I must say every morning that I go out, I surprise myself... It is surely a blessing...

TJ