Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 08:08

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%
Smile Muses' measurement musings

Well this is the first entry of my gym journal. Today I am hoping to get the BFL book and begin this program. For the past week I have been doing the treadmill and weights on alternating days and feel I see results; altho' the scales wouldn't have my thinking so LOL.

Today I took my measurements as per Health Central to calculate body fat percentage...

calf 15.7"
wrist 6.7"
thigh 26.1"
hips 44.5"
waist 34"

They gave me a percentage body fat of 32.5% with a lean body mass of 122lbs, weighing currently 181lbs after having lost 31lbs with Somersizing/Atkins with very little exercise...only aerobic.

upper arms 12"
lower arms 10.5"
bust 40.5"

Currently I wear a size 14 and am hoping to see dramatic results with my new exercise regime.

The above measurments were not done with a measuring tape per se, I used a string and then a ruler....can't find the darned mearsuring tape, so I will retake these later after I buy a new one.

So this is it, the first day of a long journey to fitness and hopefully a buff bod!

Muse
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 08:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Hey, Lady! WTG on the resolve. I know that when you put your mind to something, well, get out of the way!

I'm looking forward to following along
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 09:09

BF:

Hey Nat....hahaha you found me!

I called our local bookstore yesterday and they had ONE copy left for BFL!....so I thought no prob I'll stop by later and pick it up (5 min drive)...well I'd forgotten about the big dump of snow!!! OMG, I couldn't get up the hill as it hadn't been plowed yet...(I shoulda known, as I'd passed another Jag, alongside of the road at the base of the hill,,,geeeez, they don't make these things with all wheel drive, who knew? ) hahaha, anyway after being pushed to safety by the cutest young guy.......sigh.....and his girlfriend hahahaha, I decided my BFL book could wait till tomorrow.

I was so dissappointed as I'm really motivated and want to start right away! I did my own version of an upper body workout this am with weights and really really worked it to the point where I'm uh "feelin the burn"....will have to read up tonight to find out all I'm doing wrong LOL!

Thanks for the support, on my way to buffbabedom!...Oh, and hubby may try this out with me...I hope so!

Muse
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 21:17

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Muse!!!!! Hey darlin' - nice to see ya here! Hope you can lay your hands on the book soon...its a great program!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 21:28

BF:

Way to go Lisa!!!...you "at goal" babe you! I am sooo impressed with you, you did it! I have to confess I noticed your stats the other day and thought wow, maybe I should give this bfl thing another thought and then of course after picking Nat's brain endlessly, I wound up here!

I DID get the BFL book today, read it cover to cover and bought my weights and bench. Other than the before pics, proper measurements and a big deep breath I'd say I'm almost ready to dive right in.

I did upper body this am, but of course wasn't sure if it was really BFL-ized or not...and now I realize it wasn't, but it sure made me nicely sore this evening so I'm sure it did some good. Tomorrow I will attempt the 20 MAS and hopefully do it correctly while I begin to plan my workout for the next day. Lot's of planning, wow. Ah hey, but it's good for me!

Thank you both for the well wishes and support and excellent examples you've set for me. I'm slow to get on board with things which are new to me, but now that the mystery is gone, watch out!

Too-dah-loo,
Muse
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 08:07

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Awesome Muse! The program is really easy to follow and it only takes a few workouts to get in the groove. It gets automatic after a while.

Keep musing...

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 20:27

BF:

Okay, forgot to post yesterday, but had an amazing aerobic workout...I really like this 20 min thing and for 1/2 hour after I still felt it's effects...something I've not experienced in the recent past.

Today I did a trial run on the lower body...I'll have to tweak it a bit as I didn't hit all 10's but came close.

Quad extensions
12x 10 (yeah I know..wasn't worth it)
10x 20
8x 30 (Hard!)
6x 32.5 eh!
12x 30 almost 10
squats 12x 10 (yeah i know, messed up there...shoulda had more weight)

Hams Deadlifts
12x 10
10x 12.5
8x 15
6x 17.5
12x same
leg curls 12x 20...not enough

Calves raises dumbones
12x10
10x15
8x 20
6x30
12x 35
one leg raises 12x 35 BINGO!

Ab crunches
vertical hip raise BINGO!

would have liked to have done more crunches before...would it hurt to do more sets?

all in all I'm pleased with this trial...my hams hurt more tonight than i felt I'd achieved doing them as I didn't feel they merited a 10 but I guess I did work them.

Tomorrow I tweak the aerobics....Sat the upper bod, and prepare for blast off on monday! WHooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!!!

I so love this!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 06:43

BF:

Okay, so yesterday I thought to myself..........hmmmmmmmm maybe I should do a few more hamstring reps.....but alas I did not, saying I'll do better next time...

Lying in bed this morning it was like:

OMG!

Whatever I thought I didn't do, was nothing in comparison to what I DID do! My hams are soooooooooo sore today...going to the toilet was an adventure getting onto the seat! LOL Yeah I know, sortof a visual there....sorry

Anyway I'm glad to feel the soreness as it proves I did something correct. Interestingly enough, two days ago the scale had gone up to 183 (altho the pants were fitting looser) and today I'm back to my low of 181, can't wait to break into the 170's altho I'm not holding my breath, as I am prepared for the fluctuations.

Well I'm off now to do the 20mas! Wish me luck...maybe it will take some of the soreness away, let's hope!

Muse
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 07:26

BF:

*lol* Muse, wait until you do some walking up and down stairs (specially the down part). Good news is that it will get better. Getting the glutamine into your system will also make a big difference.

Feels good though, doesn't it?
Nat
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 07:49

BF:

Whew! That DID feel good, and seems to have warmed up the ol' hammies...did some stretches, now on to my day!

Lovin this...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 17:10

BF:

Did the Upper body workout on Sat, and loved every minute of it!

Saturday night, got a Sinus Cold and am now on Zithromax for the next five days (starting today monday) geeeeeeeez, so much for today being my official day 1!

Well, I'm drinking the water, sucking on zinc, taking the vitamins, and now the "drugs"...I'd better get well soon!

The doctor told me today that I could probably start to exercise around wednesday, we'll see...hope so, but right now I feel like a truck ran over me.

Muse
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 10:44

BF:

Well, now it's thursday, and I'm still on the Zithromax and starting to feel a bit better, but in no way ready to work out.

However, I am so happy today in that I finally broke the 180's, and am officially 179 and am about to start my period, so I'm hoping that next week, there may be a nice surprise ont he scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoooooooo Hoooooooooooo!!!!

So sublime, at 179!!!

Muse
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:16

BF:

WTG Toots!! Breaking into a new weight category sure feels great, doesnt it?

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Get well, then get at it - they'll be no stopping you!

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:16

BF:

Okay, Day One BFL

Did my lower body workout,

Squats followed by quad extensions
Deadlifts followed by leg curls
Calf raises followed by one leg Calf raises
Ab Crunches followed by vertical hip raises

Felt exhausted, I know I'm not over this Bronchitis yet, but we'll see...almost fell down the stairs afterwards, my legs were like RUBBER! So I know I got a good workout!

Hopefully cardio will be ok tomorrow, and that I'm up to it. Damn I hate being sick.

Muse
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:12

BF:

Welcome back, Toots Congrats on Day 1. While you're still feeling less than 100% you must also be feeling pretty darned proud!!

Get plenty of sleep, and take your glutamine and I'm sure you'll have no problem with cardio tomorrow. If you're not up to it first thing in the morning, then wait and do it later in the day - don't overdo it, Muse.

Nat