Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/243/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcharlie
Well, I hit the East-West Market and they didn't have the almond milk in stock but they did have my favourite salsa, Que Pasa, which isn't particularly low carb but. . . it also isn't available on the edge of the world.

We get the Vancouver papers on the edge of the world and I always drool over the ads for Choices, so I went to the Choices store on W16th today. They have in-store-made sausage that doesn't have filler and is very low sodium so I bought some pork Italian sausage and will try it tomorrow. If it's any good I'm going to buy some and freeze to take home.

The Emerald Valley fresh organic salsa they carry at Choices is EVEN BETTER than Que Pasa.

And a few blocks south of East-West Market on Main St is Nestor's Market, which is a newbie Choices knock-off, and they make in-store sausages without fillers that are just TERRIFIC. Usually I like to buy Hertel's breakfast sausages (made on Vancouver Island) (though they do contain a small amount of corn meal ) but Nestor's are wayyyy yum as well. Hertel's are available at Famous Foods (Kingsway and King Edward) and their stock comes in on Wednesday afternoons.

East-West has said they're getting new stock in Almond Breeze this week sometime.. sorry you went when they were out!

Last edited by zicki : Wed, Jul-16-08 at 11:51.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 13:24

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

Holy CRAP I haven't seen EVK salsa since I lived in Eugene. It's the best on the planet IMHO.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 13:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangy
Holy CRAP I haven't seen EVK salsa since I lived in Eugene. It's the best on the planet IMHO.

Yup yup, MMMMmmm.. organic and yummy. Choices has it. 2g carbs per 2 tbsp

http://www.emeraldvalleykitchen.com...&products_id=41
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndiwong
Victoria has them? I did not know that. =S Where in Victoria? Are there any other places in Victoria/on the island that sells low-carb and diet foods we cant get in Vancouver?

On an unrelated note, does anyone know where to find Chocolite Protein Bars by HealthSmart Foods?

As I posted earlier, I have some DaVinci's left (some flavours, that is). My webpage link is in my signature block, like it's always been.

For other sources on the Island, it's pretty much Health Food Stores and Grocery Stores. There are individual posts in this Canada forum, usually, like the one I made yesterday about finding FRESH pork rinds in "chinatown" (which is probably even MORE likely over there on the Lower Mainland).

Also, there are occasionally individual product posts over in the PRODUCTS forum.

Hope this helps.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 21:58
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm hiding out in residence for a couple of weeks after summer school ends before going back to the edge of the world so I will check out East-West again before I go. And I will check out the Emerald Valley Salsa and maybe even check out Nestors. Once summer school is over the only thing restricting my exploration is the price of gas and what's left of my budget.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 16:21

Plan: Atkins (Planning to...)
Stats: 120/98/90 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
As I posted earlier, I have some DaVinci's left (some flavours, that is). My webpage link is in my signature block, like it's always been.

My mom is really old fashioned and despises any shopping via mail. So far I cant convince her yet.....

ANOTHER NEW FIND:
I found Diet Rite drinks in Save-On-Foods! I dunno if they are rare or not around Vancouver since I never really looked for them. But since I saw them I bought some right away. At Save-Ons they had the cola, orange and cream soda flavours.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcharlie
Well, I hit the East-West Market and they didn't have the almond milk in stock

I was at East-West on Saturday and they now have their stock in. I bought 3 cases (12 cartons per case) of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze at 2 cartons for $4 -- their ongoing fantastic "sale" price. (Yes, there's still lots after my purchase of 3 cases. )

Cheers!
Nicki

Last edited by zicki : Tue, Jul-22-08 at 11:02.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 17:20
revcharlie

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Yes, I went to East-West on Saturday too and got some Almond milk. My sister just emailed me this morning. She had bought the regular chocolate Almond Breeze and said it was the best milk substitute she had ever tasted and she has been drinking milk substitutes for 30 years. So I thought I would check out the unsweetened chocolate and sweeten it with stevia. Since she can no longer eat soy because of fibroids (which nearly cost her her life last summer) she is thrilled with finding almond milk. It was on this forum (another thread) that I first heard about it.

And . . . thought I would try the Emerald Valley Salsa. Only just realized now that it is fresh salsa so I'll head down there another time before I go home so I can try it.

Loaded the freezer here in my rez apartment with last day of sale organic sausages of all kinds from Choices so I am really going to enjoy these low sodium, low carb treats when I get home.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 21:18

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

EVK salsas freeze quite well if you want to take a few extra home in a cool-pack.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 21:28
revcharlie

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangy
EVK salsas freeze quite well if you want to take a few extra home in a cool-pack.

Along with all the Choices organic sausage that I froze! and the shirataki noodles from T&T(which I didn't freeze). Good thing this is a drive 1600 km as quickly as possible to be back in the pulpit on day three after I leave vancouver.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 16:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 100/100/80 Male 185
BF:
Progress:

Very useful topic, thanhs OP !

I am looking for Xanthan gum or Guar gum and low-carb pasta locally in vancouver area (richmond/burnaby/vancouver/kitsi/etc)

Anybody knows a shop that carry those items ?
What gum is best for atkins ? Xanthan gum or Guar gum ?

thanks in advance, just started my low-carb life, still 1 1/2 week induction left
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 17:41

BF:
Progress:

not much activity here

anyway, I just come back from my low carb shopping suggested in here

East-West Market on Main St: Picked up 10x almond milk vanilla unsweetned for $2 each 1L container

Nesters Market ( http://www.nestersmarket.com/rileypark/ ): bought some beacon with no carb/sugar and those homemade English breakfast sausage. The sausage package didn't have any nutrition label so i checked with the staff and they gave me the ingredient list and one of them was a sauce with a little sugar (very little), so since they do not add much in the sausage, I didn't bother.

I'm still on induction for another week, my body already feels slim and my mood is refreshing, much happier during the day than i used to, its really a great feeling, no headache yet

So there are still few ingreding I wish i could find locally like

- Xantha Gum (or guar) as previously asked
- Diet Rite beverage (i check Burnaby safeway but they never heard of it)
- low carb pasta
- what else you guys love to buy and where?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 18:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimats
So there are still few ingreding I wish i could find locally like

- Xantha Gum (or guar) as previously asked
- Diet Rite beverage (i check Burnaby safeway but they never heard of it)
- low carb pasta
- what else you guys love to buy and where?

You can get xanthan gum at Famous Foods (Kingsway and King Ed, Vancouver).

You can get Diet Rite at SAVE ON FOODS . There's a new Save On in Vancouver at 7th and Cambie, and one will open in a few months at Kingsway and Knight. If you're in Burnaby (since you said you checked the Burnaby Safeway), there's a SAVE ON on the north side of Lougheed Hwy, just west of Willingdon (west of Brentwood Mall).

You can get Low Carb pastas at Nature's Living Health on Arbutus and 12th.

HTH,
Nicki

Last edited by zicki : Fri, Aug-22-08 at 19:03.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 15:08

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicki
You can get xanthan gum at Famous Foods (Kingsway and King Ed, Vancouver).

You can get Diet Rite at SAVE ON FOODS . There's a new Save On in Vancouver at 7th and Cambie, and one will open in a few months at Kingsway and Knight. If you're in Burnaby (since you said you checked the Burnaby Safeway), there's a SAVE ON on the north side of Lougheed Hwy, just west of Willingdon (west of Brentwood Mall).

You can get Low Carb pastas at Nature's Living Health on Arbutus and 12th.

HTH,
Nicki

Thank you so much, i m out again to buy those foods :-)

Im curious to know What other low carb food/product you like to buy and where ?
Also, I was wondering where liquid splenda can be found since the liquid version contains less carbonate than the powder one (powder is sold at SUPERSTORE)
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 20:21

Plan: Atkins (Planning to...)
Stats: 120/98/90 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress:

heh i asked about sweeteners on the first page of this thread as well =)...
basically liquid splenda is extremely hard to come by as the makers of splenda do not have a retail/consumer version of it. The only way to get liquid splenda is to get it online. I found that using liquid stevia is great though! I use the liquid stevia by SweetLeaf and love it. They make flavored ones and a "original" blend. Again Save on Foods carries them. Check in the "organic baking" aisle. They will have quite a few other low carb friendly baking products (ie: flax meal, coconut oil, etc.) around the same area.