Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 08:33

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well, you also have to keep in mind that most people would consider a candy bar "bad for you" while ignoring that a bagel has the same amount of carbs. How many people gave up Snickers and donuts only to eat bran muffins and bagels with fat-free cream cheese not realizing there was little or no difference. A carb is a carb is a carb.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 08:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/114.4/100 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Well, you also have to keep in mind that most people would consider a candy bar "bad for you" while ignoring that a bagel has the same amount of carbs. How many people gave up Snickers and donuts only to eat bran muffins and bagels with fat-free cream cheese not realizing there was little or no difference. A carb is a carb is a carb.

And that's the problem - so many people just don't realise that there's little difference between a candy bar and a bagel. I think generally people just don't have any understanding of what they're eating... not that that's an excuse!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 08:50
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

We're talking about kids here. My kids never wanted more than one bagel or oat bran muffin. So, to a kid's taste buds, there seems to be a big difference in potato chips and dried apple chips.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 08:58
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

I seriously wonder how much of the article is sensationalism versus how much is really how this kid eats each day?
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 09:22

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Sensational journalism? Say it ain't so....
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 09:38

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

But a 30 pound 18 month old is not "obese."

Two of my three kids weighed 30 pounds by their first birthdays, and all they ate was breastmilk with a bit of homemade "babyfood" (mostly boiled and ground meat and veggies).
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I wonder about the sensationalism angle, too, which goes back several pages in this thread when several of us wondered about whether the reporter accurately represented the woman.

Getting downright honest about it, I don't think anyone believes candy bars and french fries are healthy. Yeah, they might think bagels and low fat yogurt is healthy. I see a lot of people who just don't give a damn one way or the other. If it's ignorance then its willful ignorance -- there are news shows on the same channel that carries Family Guy.

This, though, ignores the impact of poverty. I look at Indian Fry Bread, eaten by the tribes in my area, which is likely the #1 killer of tribal people here, despite what the government says. It is a creative use of commodity foods, delicious and addictive. Or ramen noodles eaten by people trying to stretch inadequate resources. For many people who live inside communities where this is the norm, the idea of nutrition is lost because they see no opportunities for different food. What is the point of listening to news stories about food that is completely out of your reach? And honestly, who would choose to eat an expensive bagel that doesn't taste half as good as much cheaper Indian Fry Bread or hot ramen noodles?
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 09:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 243/240/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

[QUOTE=faduckeggs]But a 30 pound 18 month old is not "obese."

I'm glad you pointed that out. My son is a strapping 18 month old and he is around 30 pounds, but I wouldn't consider him obese. He prefers to eat whatever I'm eating so he consumes lots of meat, eggs and some veggies and berries.
I am guilty of feeding my kids things I wouldn't eat like white bread, pasta, milk and mashed potatoes, but I guess I rationalize it because I am the one with the carb problem, not them. If I'm not careful they will be in the same boat as me.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 09:58
Contrarian

I'm looking at the girl's picture and I just don't see "OBESE"....I see what appears to be a fairly normal pinchy-pudgy cheeked toddler, but not insanely obese, so fat she's on the verge of major health issues or death.

While I definitely don't agree with mom feeding her french fries and coke, I do think this isn't the kid to make a fuss over....she's a baby for goodness sakes! irks me television shows find this sort of 'entertainment' appropriate!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:03
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Her mom looks overweight to me. What I took away from the story is that the little girl eats crisps and not much else. That's the bad thing: no nutrition.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:18

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
My kids never wanted more than one bagel or oat bran muffin

I could, and often would, eat the whole bag. I was skinny as a kid, but carbs were addictive to me even then.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:18
Registered Member

Stats: 255/255/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

That is disgusting and I question this woman parenting skills that poor little girl...I have a feeling this won't be the only problem this woman is going to have. Who is the parent and who is the child here....she won't starve herself so if she only offers healthy foods she'll eat it. You know I am overweight and my mother is overweight and her mother and so on...I have tried to teach my children what I know and I don't let them eat whatever they want as I was able to do as a child and hopefully they won't have to go through what I have. Not that I blame my mother but I think that if I was taught a different way of eating I might not have so much trouble now.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:24
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
I could, and often would, eat the whole bag. I was skinny as a kid, but carbs were addictive to me even then.

I suppose that would be something to watch for in kids. The little girl in the story seems to be a carb addict already. But most people don't know about carb addiction. It never crossed my mind when my kids were growing up.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:34
Contrarian

Quote:

While the media likes to pick on the kids who are heavy, no one seems to blink when the thin kids are eating utter crap and that, IMO is the problem....if your kid doesn't gain weight eating junk, no harm no foul....but watch out the minute the child registers at or above the 85th percentile for BMI-for-age!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:38
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
While the media likes to pick on the kids who are heavy, no one seems to blink when the thin kids are eating utter crap and that, IMO is the problem....if your kid doesn't gain weight eating junk, no harm no foul....but watch out the minute the child registers at or above the 85th percentile for BMI-for-age!

There's a huge correlation between obesity and type 2 diabetes - somethng like 90%. I think national governments are worried that their health care systems are going to implode if they don't stem the trend of obesity.