Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-08, 16:42
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Today I ate a meal with 7g carbs and 46g protein, and 45 minutes later I was nearly unconscious--sooooo sleepy I just laid my head back and instantly was out. My kid woke me up like 5-10 minutes later and I tested my blood glucose right away. That was 55 minutes after the food. It was: 82.

I tested again 3 hours later (4 hours from eating). I figured it would have continued going down to my fasting level which so far has been 60, 70, 72. But it had gone up to 85. I know that isn't much, but it's odd I would have thought it would go down. The only thing I can think is that maybe the really high protein in that meal kicked over into glucose and it went way up, then way down, and was actually coming back up an hour later when I measured it. Since I didn't measure 15 & 30 minutes after eating, I don't know. Still I don't see why protein would do that when even a megadose of carbs doesn't.

I've been really lacking energy for quite awhile though so maybe I just overreacted. But I found it interesting, the following: that I haven't had this for a couple weeks. Last night I had a really bad dream. And today it happened. I would never in a million years have thought of this as related in any way, except that in Jimmy's interview (transcript above), he actually says one odd side effect is sometimes bad dreams. Boy that's obscure.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-08, 16:45
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Anytime you have sugar combined with fat you can get a 1 hour 90 and a 140 later on. It's called the "pizza effect." You should drink 100 carbs worth of orange juice like PJ did and test. That would be a much truer test of your BG levels than eating a candy bar.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 06:44

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

sugar drink test was perfect done 2 weeks ago. Will repeat it.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 10:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get sleepy after eating too, but only lunch now that I think about it. I used to get sleepy after a carb heavy lunch but that went away when I went low carb. But now it is back.

80 is perfect fasting score. Not too low, not high at all.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 13:31
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

PJ, you've posted some abnormally low BG results. Most normals don't drop to 70, much less 60 and an 85 post-prandial is low, compared to around 110 normally after 1 hour.

I would suggest a GTT with insulin levels. If they don't measure insulin levels, they won't catch if you are insulin-resistant. The overproduction of insulin is causing your hypoglycemia. Being on a VLC diet means you don't have glycogen stores to counter it.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 16:18

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Exactly, that is one of the reasons I dint go very low carb. Please read Schwarzbein you dont need to follow it
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 22:45
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well, I assume I have to be insulin resistant or I don't think I could have gotten to over 500 pounds.

I generally avoid doctors unless I'm worried I'm gonna die. But I will follow that guy's advice, and eat smaller meals, and get back to weight training, and work harder on getting enough (let alone quality) sleep.

I used to have so much energy, like a year ago, it was amazing. Yet now even though I'm LC (regardless that I am often off it for several days), getting the energy even for ordinary life is a lot of work. I worked my ass off in my kitchen today, which is all very well but I decided to do it like what, a month ago and only just finally got the gumption (read: physical energy) to actually do something about it. Eating a ton of protein yesterday seems to have upped my inspiration today somewhat, though. Maybe lower BG could explain the lower energy thing.

Well anyway. I think I'm going to get mad scientist over the next few weeks and do a lot of experimenting with the same foods in different quantity, sequence and relationship.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 12:18

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I can just see PJ in her lab coat holding a test tube now...LOL