Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 16:28

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Posted in wrong Universe

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Thu, Jun-05-08 at 05:07. Reason: Delete - posted in error
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
"Quirks"---"basal"---"bolus"---"Bernstein", "etc.."

When I was on oral medication "glipizide", I fought the ups and downs and trying to balance BG and then over compensate one way then having to over do in the opposite way to offset it, a constant tilting from left to right, backwards and forward. It was tiring to say the least and I know how all of you on medications feel, including type 1s' who are insulin dependent.

But, reading all these posts, even from those of you who achieve control with meds, but still struggle with things as dawn phenomena, after meal highs, etc..., do you ever stop and think that most of what you're fighting is not the diabetes, but it is probably the medications??????

When I dropped the meds, I was holding my carbs down to under 20g per day so I could do without the meds. Only over time did things turn around for me to where I can enjoy the 150g carbs per day, but a low to no carb way of eating surely did more for me then any medication or herb or any other supplement....

I never really planned or thought I could eat the way I'm doing now, but I'm sure if I had not stepped out of the traditional medicine world, I would not have had the progress I've had. Also, I gave up all artificial sweeteners, the so called diet foods and diet drinks and the diabetically prepared bars, drinks, etc..., and I'm sure those things were messing me up also......

anyhow, hope I'm not stepping on toes, just trying to throw out a wake up call as to what this fight is about....

It's about fighting diabetes, but to me, it sounds like it's more about fighting medications......
Gee - golly - whiz - not stepping on my toes. I think I will give up my insulin and start taking about 50 supplements per day so I can control my BG from 150 - 250. Fighting those damn meds, who would have thought it - thanks for sounding like you know what you are talking about Cajun...

/smile

P.S. I'll upload my BG's against any normal persons anyday... give up one bad pharmacy produced for 50 good "natural" ones - what a deal
P.P.S. Sufonylureas are probably one of the worst things a T2 can take for normalization...

Last edited by Korban : Wed, Jun-04-08 at 16:56.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 16:53
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

You know, Cajun, some people can put diabetes in remission without any "herbals" by simply losing weight. You've lost a lot and I would suspect that it had more to do with your control than your herbals.

But some type 2s have beta cell damage and will never be able to achieve normal BG control without meds, no matter what they do. I don't consider insulin a drug, it is a hormone. If you don't have the cells to make the right amount of insulin at the right time then you have to think like a pancreas and provide your body the right amount at the right time.

Insulin preserves beta cells in type 2s. It isn't a bad thing. *uses Martha Stewart voice* It's a good thing.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: homegrown
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
I assume you bolus in the neighborhood of 18 - 22 u per day Novo, not sure about your basal. Are you at a maintenance weight level or still losing weight? (of course this is none of my business)...

My basal changes over time. I began on 45u Lantus (determined empirically while I was hospitalized), then a few weeks later I went hypo and adjusted to 25 units. Currently I'm back up to 35 units. I've only been on insulin a year and don't know if my needs will change seasonally or what.

My bolus runs around 25-35 units per day, depending on exactly what I eat.

I'm not at maintenance NOR am I losing weight. I am maintaining my current weight on what is supposedly a huge calorie deficit. I am recovering from surgery and other health problems and presume weight loss will resume as my ability to exercise increases. My thyroid tests fine, but my temperature never runs around 94-96, so I assume my metabolism is a bit depressed due to the other health issues I'm dealing with.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind increasing carbs somewhat (and bolusing) as it would be convenient at times but I am concerned about weight loss issues. I would prefer, for the time being to keep insulin as low as I can to ease the process of reaching my weight goal. However, this may be naive as I really have no idea how significant 8 or 10 more units of Novolog would normally impact weight loss in a T2.

There's no doubt that more carb and more insulin will result in less fat loss and at some point even in fat gain.

As to whether that is worth it to you or not, that's up to you. Personally, if a particular occasion is worth it, I'd say go for it, assuming those occasions don't happen too often.

The thing is... controlling bg is important *whether* you are losing weight or not. Don't "punish" yourself by letting your bg go high just cause you "cheat" on your diet.

As to how 8-10u effects a T2... we're all *very* different. I've been a T2 for two decades and have what seems to be pretty severe insulin resistance.

I know T2s who control eating significantly more carb and taking no insulin at all. I know T2s who eat much more strictly than I do and take LOTS more insulin.

I listed my insulin rules in my previous post. Those are *my* rules, determined empirically in *my* body. It took a LOT of testing to figure them out.

You can know the parameters that generally effect diabetics, but you have to test to know which affect you. The literature says T2s don't have to account for protein when dosing insulin, but I do. I have a wicked Dawn Phenomenon. I have *never* observed the "Chinese Restaraunt" effect. I also don't seem to have a "pizza effect" either. I know all this by just HUGE amounts of testing.

I'm an absolute *expert* on *my* diabetes - better than any of my doctors or anyone else. You have to become that for yourself also.

Quote:
Presently, I take over 30 u Lantus and almost 0 Novolog. Do you know if I bolus 10 or so u of Novolog per day (from more carbs) if that would significantly stunt my weight loss?

Nope. IMO, no one else does either. There's just too many variables and we're all very different in terms of how we react.

You find out by trying it for a few weeks and see how it goes.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: homegrown
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
It's about fighting diabetes, but to me, it sounds like it's more about fighting medications......

It *really* depends on the person and how bad their diabetes is.

After my pancreasitis attack, I couldn't get my bg down even *fasting* for several days at a time. I couldn't get my bg below 300 on NO food at all!

There was no doubt that I needed to be on insulin.

I'm still a T2 though. I have a normal c-peptide and no GAB antibodies. I just don't make enough insulin to overcome my insulin resistance.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 17:30
Registered Member

BF:

jpatti,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I hope that you make a speedy recovery from your surgery.

I think I will stay for now on my regular regimen. My BG numbers have always come first since drinking Bernstein's Kool-Aid. It took me a lot of months to gain this weight, I am in no real hurry to lose it so will stay with the minimal carb intake and insulin. I really enjoy the way of eating anyway, cheese, eggs, meat, more eggs... I usually keep the calories down and it is working for me so I think I will wait for a few months before I change anything.

Be well, live long and prosper (and don't be seduced by the dark side of the Force, unless you really want to have some fun)

/smile
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 17:43

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Posted in wrong Universe

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Thu, Jun-05-08 at 05:08. Reason: Delete - posted in error
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Feel free to take all the meds you want, but from my persspective and I think I've been on both sides, I believe you're fighting the meds more then the diabetes.... One day, you'll understand my position...... or you won't.... Either way, I was just trying to share my experience and I'm sorry it sounds to positive for you to be able to accept it.....

That's one of the problems with diabetes, it overwhelms you to where you to where it is difficult to recognize a way out, until you're ready to really do it on your own..........

I am glad your treatment methodology works for you, I really am and always appreciate people sharing their experience rather than their opinions. Opinions don't do much for me. Sometimes their experience doesn't do much for me either but I always consider it.

I take the meds I need (Lantus), not the ones that I want (morphine)... I don't take multiple supplements that seem to work for you. I only need the Lantus for my diabetes.

As to a way out - I am not sure that I need a way out of anything. I certainly don't want to get into the habit of taking and experimenting with a multiplicity of questionable supplements especially considering all the combinations and permutations thereof. I think you have about 15 posts recently on changing this one and dropping that one and adding this one... I don't think I really want to go there. Lantus and LC works for me and there is a pretty good clinical basis for its efficacy. That seems to work for me. I am seriously glad your method works for you. I hope you find a way out of your confusion with respect to other people's methods.

Kindest Regards,
/smile
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:19
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Just Lantus, Korban? I'm impressed. And I know you are savvy enough about insulin to know that if you accidentally ingest some sugar (as in being served the wrong Coke), you can bring it down fast with a bolus.

i don't think I would like to be on oral meds either because you can't adjust quickly. I can see where cajunboy is coming from in that regard.

jpatti, you are doing exactly the right thing for you. Only you can manage your diabetes. That's true for all of us.

But I did drink the Kool-Aid, and I don't think I'll ever go back. What Bernstein did for type 1 diabetes is simply phenomenal. If he had been among the research cognoscenti, I have no doubt he would have won a Nobel prize.

The major flaw is 30 carbs for life. That's forever and that's hard for a lot of people. But, I have every intention to go about my tweaking while still maintaining the Bernstein philosophy. I think jpatti is right in that there is a point where the law of small numbers will break, but that point is probably going to different for different people, and the only way to ascertain that point of good control plus a good quality life is to experiment.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:22

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Cajun
You are on medication even though it's nonprescription.
Call it "nutritional supplement" if you want to but please
don't call it "natural".
Cajun,Korban
Glipizide ER is a great improvement to the sulfonylureas.
Glyburide made me hypo,Glimepiride made me hypo,
Glipizide instaneous release made me hypo.Glipizide ER
works well in conjunction with Metformin-very good
control and not one hypo episode.
Bye for now
Eddie
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:26

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

jpattie and Korban - liked your recent posts. We really all have to become an expert in 'our' diabetes, and others experience can give us ideas when what we are doing isn't working.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Just Lantus, Korban? I'm impressed.
Just Lantus - I dropped the metformin for no apparent reason as I didn't really see much difference... forgot to change it in my sig. I have bolused a unit on occasion with Novolog but at my present diet, it is pretty rare... on my last visit to my CDE on uploading my data - she didn't have much to say except "Don't you ever want a grilled cheese sandwich every now and then?" She is a T1 pumper and really quite knowledgeable about diabetes for the most part. I think most of her patients are not real compliant.

/smile
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:33
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Glipizide ER is a great improvement to the sulfonylureas.
I agree Eddie - as ER wasn't specified I assumed the older non-sustained release. I never was scribed the ER. I used to get hypos all the time with regular glip before I started knowing a bit about what I was doing... couldn't get the timing down... dropping it was a big move forward for my numbers.

/smile
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:37
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
"Don't you ever want a grilled cheese sandwich every now and then?"

Yes, yes! And I think I know a way to do it too. I have flax meal, yeast, carbquik..... *runs to the kitchen to mix some bread dough*
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 19:22

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

A grilled cheese wrap isn't bad using LaTortilla Factory
low carb wrap.This wrap is huge-only 6 net carbs and 14 grams
of fiber.Also makes a good wrap for breakfast burrito.
I need to get some of the carbquik and try a few things .
Eddie