Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 17:01

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I realized today that I'd done my first 24 hour fast without even trying or thinking about it. Granted, I'd had a very fat-intensive lunch the previous day, but that usually doesn't slow me down.

I'm about fully back in my groove after another schedule change (I'm back on days, yay).

I had a bad weekend (lots of bad news last week), and temporarily went back to eating carbs. It was an interesting experience--I could not eat nearly as much as I used to, my tendency towards IF did not change even after three sustained days of carby meals, and the carbs I thought I'd missed weren't all that great anyway. I was very happy to get back on the wagon.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 12:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thought I would give you all an update of my progress. I've been pretty steadily IFing for the last couple of month. I've been slowly and steadily losing the weight during that time. I lost a bunch right away in the first 2 weeks, then much slower after that. If you can do it, it's a good way to lose I think. Slowly is best.

Also, my skin has much improved in just tone and smoothness. Not sure what to attribute this to - just an oberservation. I have a lot more energy now, altho this sometimes makes it harder to fall asleep at night, but not that often.

I don't IF religously, but maintain it during the week, and ease up on the weekend. But i'm so used to eating only for a couple of hours in the evening, even easing up on the weekends means just maybe adding some eggs for breakfast if I feel like it. Snacking is pretty much out now altogether. I find that if I stop eating everything by 7:00 at night, the loss seems to pick up a bit.

So maybe that's just some encouragement for those just starting out IFing. No need to be obsessive about it, just do what feels comfortable for the majority of the time. Eventually you'll find a groove that works for you.

Good luck!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: IF Ketogenic
Stats: 265/218/165 Female 67 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 47%

Hello everyone, may I join?

I have been experimenting with IF for several months now. I started doing a 24 hour fast 2 days a week (Eat Stop Eat protocol).

When I switched to a ketogenic diet it became very difficult so I switched to 12/12 daily approach, slowly increasing the fasting period.

Right now I aim for 16/8 on workout days and 18/6 on non workout days. The main reason for that is that I need some carbs before my workout so I have a BCAA drink with some cals and carb in it so I consider that breaking the fast. Since I don't need that on days I workout, I hold the fast longer.

I am slowly working my way through all the various fasting books. So far Eat Stop Eat was the most informative on the science supporting IFing. The Warrior Diet is the next book I am planning to read.

Since I also follow a ketogenic diet and work my tail off in the gym I can't attribute specific weight loss to IFing. But IFing has made it so I am no longer chained to Daily Plate or my food journal!!

I am seldom hungry during a fast, except for the rare morning (like today), and I will often push the fasting period an extra hour or so just because I am not hungry.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 09:18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've been trying to do IF (Fast 5) for about a month and a half. I've had a hard time sticking to it - some days I don't even think about food until late in the afternoon, but other days I'm just hungry all the time. I'm a SAHD; on days when I'm not with the kids, fasting is a breeze, but when I have to take care of them my energy plummets. If I have an empty stomach I find myself on a very short fuse. Some days I eat just to keep myself from yelling at them. I spend a lot of time sitting around conserving my energy. It's funny because when I do trapeze (not with the kids) I don't feel hungry at all.

It's nice to hear that so many people can get on fasting autopilot, but... how do you get there?

Did you work yourself up to the 19 hours fast?? Maybe try a shorter period on days with the kids and work yourself back up. Or perhaps flip the fasting time. The Fast 5 window is 5pm to 10pm but there is nothing magical about those hours. Maybe start your day with your eating window, 9am to 2pm, 11am to 4pm or something like that. I think the trick to "autopilot" is finding the plan that flows with your lifestyle.

I don't know if food prep is a problem for you but it was for me. So I prepare a bunch of snacks and meal items ahead of time and the kids assemble their own breakfast and lunch. They know where all of the items are and can pick and choose what they want to eat. I usually spend one or two evenings a week cooking various items. (oatmeal bars, pumpkin squares, popcorn, etc.) Before we went gluten free I would also make up a whole loaf of bread worth of PB&Js for the kids. All so when it was breakfast or lunch time I wouldn't be tempted by anything. That isn't a problem anymore but they have become accustomed to making their own food choices! LOL
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 10:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I thought that I would pop in and visit you. I want to report on my progress. Well, to back up to my resolution of 2007, I resolved to lose 10 lbs last year. I also had a sub-resolution to lose 10 lbs every years until I reached my goal of 125 lbs . or 135 lbs whichever my body would prefer. Well, that being the case, I should be down to 146 by the end of this year. Then I realized that I am there now, so guess what? I am getting a tattoo on my lower back when DD comes up for a visit in Aug. My weight jumps up and down but it is working its way downward. Having the summer off helps me to make a more intense IF. I plan to even do one or 2 24 hour fasts next week. I am not going to push it but I think I could do it. We'll see.

I am doing quite well. I am healthy and strong. Tomorrow I will throw in a healthy dose of exercise and I will pay a visit to the health food store for some flax oil and vitamin D3.I do try to consume more fat. I put heavy cream and MCT oil in my coffee. I cook with coconut oil, peanut oil and butter. I even add more butter to my food after it is cooked.

Hey, guess what my mom made for dinner? Well, first off, she has been on dialysis for a few months now. The only way she can have potatoes is if she soaks all of the starch out of them. Well, instead of making potato salad, she made cauliflower salad. I mean what a concept, whodda thought that you cold actually use cauliflower as a potato substitute? What will she think of next? Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes?

Froggie, That book Eat Stop Eat sounds interesting. Who wrote it?
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 11:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57

Froggie, That book Eat Stop Eat sounds interesting. Who wrote it?

It is by Brad Pilon. His website is eatstopeat.com It is a digital book so no Amazon
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 12:03
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi all,
It's been a long time since I checked in... I just now noticed there's a new IF thread.
I've been doing LC IF for a year now, and still enjoy it as a WOE.
Most days are 21/3 with an eating window between 6pm and 9pm, averaging about 1700 calories, 75% fat, 5% carb, 20% protein.
I am maintaining. I'd hoped I'd lose a little more, but haven't lost since April. I don't know if that's because I've reached the weight my body wants to be for my activity level and food consumption, or perhaps I've reached a set-point (this is the thinnest I've ever been as an adult) and my body just needs a break before continuing, or maybe I'm losing reeeeaaaaaaaally slooooowly ... but anyway, I'm not willing to slash calories or do anything non-sustainable to lose weight, so I'll just carry along like this for the time being.

Gwynne2, congrats on your milestone.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 11:31

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Miz, My experience has been that I will go for a while without losing then out of nowhere, I am down a lb or two.My weight also bounces a lot. Right now it is bouncing between 146 lbs and 151 lbs. It is as if my weight is coming down for a landing. As soon as it bounces down to 145, I am changing my stats. As I recall, last year it seemed like I wasn't losing much at all until I reached the end of the year and not only did I reach my goal for the year, I managed to lose 2 lbs more than I had planned.

Miz, I see that your BD is 3 days before mine ( 4/11/57 ). I also see that you are a grandma. I am assuming that we are near the same age and I have discovered that age plays a huge role in weightloss. Although I am losing, it is in a different pattern from the way I lost 5 1/2 years ago. And, of course it is a different pattern in comparison when I was in my mid thirties. In retrospect, I was in my mid-upper thirties when I began to gain weight. I consider weightloss with IF a more successful lifestyle than LC alone because it has enabled me to lose safely, without changing my lc lifestyle. I just purchased a pair of jeans at a really cheap boutique and the were size 9s. They're cute and they give me a cute butt. That has nothing to do with IF I just want to point out my size 9 jeans.

Another thing, Miz, what is your activity level? I find that I do not have to be super active a lose a little weight, which is a different story in my pre-IF days. If I spend an hour or two walking at the mall, I will have lost close to one pound. Oh, I gotta go...Blaine's Low Carb Kitchen is on.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 19:09

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hello All...

I do IF several days a week....mostly on the days when I am not hungry....it is just easier to IF then obviously... Today I didn't eat until about 7:00 and my window closed at about 7:30.... We'll see what tomorrow brings. Sometimes I wonder if this is slowing down my metabolism and if I should eat more meals a day....maybe three tomorrow then IF the next day...

TJ
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 19:17

Plan: what ever
Stats: 198/177/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi all been Ifing off and on and enjoy not stressing over food choices as much.

frogguruam could you explain alittle about the Eat Stop Eat program. I went to the website and from what I gathered you fast 24 hours twice a week? This would really drop the calorie total for the week for me. Also on the days you eat can you eat what you want or do you stay lc? Thanks for any info
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 19:46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnmom
frogguruam could you explain alittle about the Eat Stop Eat program. I went to the website and from what I gathered you fast 24 hours twice a week? This would really drop the calorie total for the week for me. Also on the days you eat can you eat what you want or do you stay lc? Thanks for any info

Brad doesn't dictate what type of diet to follow. When I did ESE I fasted from dinner one day to dinner the next day twice a week.

Here is a book review I wrote of it.

http://insearchofahealthylife.blogs...asting-eat.html
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 20:26

Plan: what ever
Stats: 198/177/000 Female 5'5
BF:

frogguruam Thank you so much for getting back to me. Read the review. Very interesting. I am going to give this a go. My If has been roughly 18 hours, with a 6 hr eating window. will let you know how it works out. Thank you again
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 03:35

Plan: If, fast 5, warrior diet
Stats: 178/174/143 Female 174cm
BF:

Hey everyone....just wanting peoples opinions on which IF regime they loose better on......eating one meal a day?..............eating for 24 hours/fasting 24 hours/etc........fasting eat stop eat style (24 hours a few times a week).....? I cant make up my mind!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 09:56

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessperth
Hey everyone....just wanting peoples opinions on which IF regime they loose better on......eating one meal a day?..............eating for 24 hours/fasting 24 hours/etc........fasting eat stop eat style (24 hours a few times a week).....? I cant make up my mind!

Experiment.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 12:32

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Hey, guess what my mom made for dinner? Well, first off, she has been on dialysis for a few months now. The only way she can have potatoes is if she soaks all of the starch out of them. Well, instead of making potato salad, she made cauliflower salad. I mean what a concept, whodda thought that you cold actually use cauliflower as a potato substitute? What will she think of next? Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes?

I've seen a recipe for mashed cauliflower. It was in an article about people who are sensitive to nightshades.
Closed Thread