Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 10:12

Plan: Primal
Stats: 238/165/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think everyone's stats speak for themselves.

I really enjoy this WOE because I know I can maintain and eat this way forever and I know I will never be hungry. Honestly, I have done low calorie and it did work for a little while but it just wasn't a WOE that I could live with forever.

To the OP... you should change your plan on your profile (or delete your profile) because you don't want people to think you lost your 40lbs on Atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 10:20

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Honestly - I think this says it all....why continue to feed the troll?

because rendered troll fat is worth more than ambergris, has more uses than duck fat, and tastes better than truffles... chocolate ones or otherwise.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Playing with trolls is more fun that watching the idiot box and I'm home sick. It's sort of personalized idiocy for entertainment, rather than the mass market, anonymous idiocy for entertainment on the box, ya know?
  #94   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 14:29

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:

I hear that. Sorry you're sick.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 16:43

Plan: Primal
Stats: 238/165/140 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Playing with trolls is more fun that watching the idiot box and I'm home sick. It's sort of personalized idiocy for entertainment, rather than the mass market, anonymous idiocy for entertainment on the box, ya know?

Sorry to hear your sick... let me guess? Stomach bug? It seems like that is everywhere!
  #96   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 17:00
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

When I read this
Quote:
I love stirring people up
HAHA
I rolled my eyes and remembered that it is almost summer.

We can have this to look forward to all summer long as 12 year olds across the nation are left home alone during parent work days.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 17:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
because rendered troll fat is worth more than ambergris, has more uses than duck fat, and tastes better than truffles... chocolate ones or otherwise.

Nope.

Trolls are transient, therefore they're likely to yield nothing but transfat.

#98   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 02:00

Plan: Carbo-butts on Atkins
Stats: 330/324/185 Male 6 ft
BF:HugeFatButt
Progress: 4%

Alastair,

Three years ago, I lost 90 pounds with a low cal, lower fat, excercise strategy. ( After losing 90 pounds, while still continuing this strategy, I gained 10 pounds back.) After two long years of starvation/hunger and discomfort, I could endure the torture no more and let up and gained it all back.... I did not find the solution in the lower calorie crap!!! I found a temporary thing that I could handle temporarily. I lost over 90 pound, can you imagine the will power I had to exert to lose 90 pounds the hard way, while still having cravings all the time??!!!

Atkins has fixed my problem, it has allowed me to eat to satiety. I am satisfied on Atkins and I can do this for life!!!! That is the difference between you and me. You will last awhile and find some success as I did, but in the end, your solution may only be temporary and doesn't address the original problem which was your body craves sugar and carbs due to insulin (and still does judging what you have stated) You will most likely gain everything back within a year or two. This due to the fact that will power only lasts so long, getting to the root of the problem and addressing this can last indefinately. Best of luck.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 04:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair
I was just trying to say that Atkins works because you eat less calories than your maintenance. If you need to consume 3000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, and you only ate 2500 of chocolate, you would still lose weight.

That assessment is incorrect. Carbohydrates, by their very nature, increase the total caloric requirements. Allow me.

Carbohydrates cause blood glucose to rise which in turn causes a secretion and release of insulin. This will be done proportionately to the carb intake. The more carbs, the more insulin. The less carbs, the less insulin.

Insulin is a storage hormone. This means that it acts on nutrients and causes them to be stored in adipose tissue. This is also done proportionately to the carbs intake. The more carbs, the more nutrients are stored in adipose tissue. Again, conversely, the less carbs, the less nutrients are stored in adipose tissue.

Insulin does something else to adipose tissue: It prevents nutrients from getting out. It locks them in, making them unavailable to lean tissue. Again, this is done proportionately to the carbs intake. The only way to allow them back out is to lower insulin level. And the only way to lower insulin level is to lower blood glucose level. And the only way to lower blood glucose level is to stop eating carbohydrates. If not to stop completely, at least to eat less carbohydrates i.e. Low Carb Diet.

As insulin locks nutrients in adipose tissue, blood nutrients levels drop, as those drop, hunger increases, as hunger increases, we eat more. Hunger is a function of nutrients availability. It is the primary regulator of food intake. In other words, nutrients requirement (which by definition includes total caloric requirement) dictates hunger.

From the beginning this time. Eating carbohydrates, by their very nature, increases caloric requirements. As we stop eating carbohydrates, our caloric requirement drops and so we eat less. But we still eat to satiety i.e. to our normal caloric requirement. That is why your assessment is incorrect.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 07:17

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 236/199/125 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I went to Border's today to pick up a new copy of DANDR (no one ever seems to return it, I keep saying I won't loan out my copy, but then I want someone to be healthy and I pass it on).

The checkout clerk gave me a lecture, praised Dean Ornish, and told me that his friend's mother's cousin's friend knew Dr. Atkins' widow and that the cause of his death was faked. I told him the one about the bouffant and the roaches, because I have studied urban legends in the past. Then, I reported his sorry butt to the Borders corporate website.

Also, he was as big as a house, like I used to be before I learned to take better care of myself via low-carbing. And you know what? That's usually the case!

Sorry if I hijacked.
  #101   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 08:55
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

People in bookstores really should not be offering their opinion as therapy to buyers. I really don't want to know what the guy at the counter thinks is bad about the book or its author that I am buying. I don't know why it is that Dean's disciples have to make it an evangelical thing. Maybe they are all secretly miserable and getting people to join your cult is one way of sublimating that misery and making you feel better and righter about your belief.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:11

Plan: Flexible
Stats: 175/153/140 Female 66.5"
BF:yes
Progress: 63%

Not finished reading, but just wanted to say there are reasons other than weight loss to do low carb. Here's something Dr. Rosedale wrote in an article about insulin and aging:

Quote:
Centenarian studies
There are three major centenarian studies going on around the world. They are trying to find the variable that would confer longevity among this group of people who live to be 100 years old. Why do centenarians become centenarians? Why are they so lucky? Is it because they have low cholesterol, exercise a lot and live a healthy, clean life?
Well, the oldest person ever recorded was Jean Calumet of France who died last year at 122 years of age. She smoked all of her life and drank.
What researchers are finding from these major centenarian studies is that there is hardly anything in common among these people. They have high cholesterol and low cholesterol, some exercise and some don't, some smoke, some don't. Some are nasty as can be, some nice and calm and some are ornery.
But, they all have relatively low sugar for their age, and they all have low triglycerides for their age.
And, they all have relatively low insulin.

So yes, calories do ultimately determine weight, but what KIND of calories determines health and longevity. Of course there are exceptions. Most people kinda know where they fall on that scale of how many carbs they can tolerate without illness, weight gain, etc. - if they've ever tried low carb.

Lower insulin means less aging ---- period. This is not in dispute. Lower insulin can be accomplished different ways though -- low carb, moderate carbs with lower calories, calorie restriction. I do function better with lower carb and lower fiber foods, but this may not be true for everyone. But the aging factor....INSULIN is the #ONE culprit in disease and aging.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:37

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Maybe they are all secretly miserable and getting people to join your cult is one way of sublimating that misery and making you feel better and righter about your belief.

You are on to them! Now they will try to have you killed! Yikes!!!

Hi Dharma! Love Dr. Rosedale
  #104   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:45

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFangirl
I went to Border's today to pick up a new copy of DANDR (no one ever seems to return it, I keep saying I won't loan out my copy, but then I want someone to be healthy and I pass it on).

You ought to try checking out Goodwill for books. Most diet books can be picked up for a song used. At our local Goodwills hardbacks are a dollar and paperbacks fifty cents. When I've been there I've seen multiple copies of several different editions of Atkins. South Beach is another one that shows up there a lot.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:58

Plan: Flexible
Stats: 175/153/140 Female 66.5"
BF:yes
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
You are on to them! Now they will try to have you killed! Yikes!!!

Hi Dharma! Love Dr. Rosedale

Hey Zilla. I'm not posting much, I seem to be a thread killer these days!! But I've seen you on several boards - great posts.