Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 16:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
Hmm...

http://dreyers.slowchurned.com/flavor.aspx?b=115&f=2637

here's the link I've found...

I saved my calories for the day so that i was allowed 1 cup of ice cream. Apparently that was too much. I may just be totally intolerant of this ice cream I'm not sure though.

That sure sounds like the culprit to me - good detective work! But too bad it's the ice cream! Figures. I felt so bad because I fed my 1 1/2 year grandson some low carb yogurt...he loved it but he was up all night w/ a tummy ache and we figured it was the Splenda that did him in. Poor honey. It gave him really bad gas.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I breastfed my first child only 12 months but my 2nd child 18 months. My first was WAY harder mostly because she was so colicky. Gripe Water worked wonders. I wasn't low carbing while bfing but had to watch everything I ate - it couldn't be too spicy and now looking back, she's allergic to quite a lot of foods so I wonder if it was causing her discomfort even then. I had her allergy tested at age 2 and came back with allergies to eggs, mustard, cottonseed oil, sesame seeds, beef, green beans, peaches, strawberries, shellfish.....hey some of those look like lowcarb fare.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 19:24

Stats: 219/196/150 Female 70
BF:31/28/22
Progress: 33%
Smile

Hey, I just wanted to say that I had a baby girl 4/15/2008. I was breastfeeding for the first 6 weeks and she was really gassy, but I have since stopped and she is still somewhat gassy.

Glad to hear your baby is doing well!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 08:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
Hmm...

http://dreyers.slowchurned.com/flavor.aspx?b=115&f=2637

here's the link I've found...

I saved my calories for the day so that i was allowed 1 cup of ice cream. Apparently that was too much. I may just be totally intolerant of this ice cream I'm not sure though.

There are so many ingrdients in there, it's hard to pinpoint which one it could be. There's wheat in there (which may or many not already be in your LC diet), several different sugar alcohols, splenda, artificial flavors- any of those can cause fussiness and/or tummy upset in sensitive individuals. And this is assuming you already eat cheese and cream, and know that dairy isn't the culprit.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 08:30

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzyanna
I breastfed my first child only 12 months but my 2nd child 18 months.

I LOVE that. If only more people could say "I ONLY breast fed for 12 months". Over here, still breastfeeding when leaving hospital is an achievement.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 09:55

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

wow yeah I hope to BF for at least 12 months here, but we'll see how it goes.

On the ingrediants yes I'm not sure what it is. But I know it's in the ice cream. I drink other things with splenda in them (low carb mocha ice rage...and such) and they don't bother her at all.

Pretty sure I'm not lactose intolerant, I eat cheese and yoghurt (not a lot) but enough to see if it bothered her.

I'm bummed, because that ice cream was SO good. But it's cool. At least I can see another reason why not to eat something since it stalls me anyhow.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 15:18

Stats: 165/162.5/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:way to much!!
Progress: 5%

My boy is now 1, he was really gassy/collic as well. My pedi. showed me how to massage his belly/back, works really really well acouple of minutes and you can hear the results!!!

Basicly: Lay baby on back place hands one on either side of the navel (with med. pressure, not a gentle touch but not so hard as to cause pain, maybe a little less pressure than a hand shake) push slightly inward and bring hands/fingertps in this position up to the navel repeat 3-4 times and then with the open palm of one hand place dirrectly on the navel and press down with again med. pressure and move hand in a counter clockwise circle. Repeat as needed....always do a set of the 3-4 then open palm then 3-4 then open palm ****NEVER CLOCKWISE****don't know why, but doc said not to.

For the back lay baby on stomach, with one palm (med pressure again) stroke the baby's back from the shoulders all the way down to the lower lower back (to the top of the butt) repeat for as long as you need****ONLY STROKE IN DOWNWARD DIR****works really well when baby is fussy due to gas/ can't sleep/get comfortable due to gas.....Hope this helps....

I think I remember my doc. saying that it helps to clump the little gas bubbles togeather in collicy kids so they can be passed...we did the massages and medication.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 15:37

Stats: 165/162.5/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:way to much!!
Progress: 5%

Oh about the foods....I was told not to eat so many foods by my in-laws lets see if I can remember : tomatoes, honey, ice-cream, milk, nuts, cabbage (unless its fried first, removes whatever causes collic), plums, figgs, don't drink/eat while the baby is feeding, no colas (for mommy) until after the baby turns 2.5 mo., um i know there was more but can't seem to think of them right now.....probably only seemed like more, every time we'd sit to have a meal they'd say you can't have this, this, or this.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 09:46

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Listen raptly and assume them you take what they say very seriously, then continue to eat as normal. There are really very few things you can eat that do affect your milk (diary and wheat are the most likely, and that's rarer than you'd think). Breastfed babies do get wind and gas and growth spurts and all sorts of other baby things, it's almost certainly not what you are eating.