Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 13:18

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Advertisements Saying Dairy Products Help You Lose Weight Are Misleading, Study Shows

Quote:
ScienceDaily (May 2, 2008) — There have been recent claims that dairy products can help people lose weight, and the dairy industry has hyped the assertion by investing millions of dollars in commercial advertising. However, a new review of the evidence reveals that neither dairy nor calcium intake promotes weight loss.

Amy Joy Lanou of the University of North Carolina at Asheville and Neal Barnard with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington, DC, evaluated evidence from 49 clinical trials from 1966 to 2007 that assessed the effect of milk, dairy products, or calcium intake on body weight and BMI, with or without the use of dieting.

Evidence from the trials showed that neither dairy products nor calcium supplements helped people lose weight. Of the 49 clinical trials, 41 showed no effect, two demonstrated weight gain, one showed a lower rate of weight gain, and only five showed weight loss.

An association between calcium or dairy intake and weight loss seen in some observational studies may be attributable to other factors, such as exercise, decreased soda intake, lifestyle habits, or increased fiber, fruit, and vegetable intake.

“Our findings demonstrate that increasing dairy product intake does not consistently result in weight or fat loss and may actually have the opposite effect,” the authors conclude.

This study is published in the May 2008 issue of Nutrition Reviews.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...80502104547.htm

(not sure what else the people in these studies were eating though - probably low fat)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 20:25
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default more diet disinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
“Our findings demonstrate that increasing dairy product intake does not consistently result in weight or fat loss and may actually have the opposite effect,” the authors conclude.
So if 3-A-Day dairy is a myth, what about the "5 servings a Day" of fruit and vegetables?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 21:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

If I take a diet drug and still eat 4000 calories a day I'm not going to lose weight. Theoretically, NOTHING can be said to make you lose weight -- and nothing can be said to make you gain weight. Meals don't happen in a vacuum from other meals and lifestyle.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

You know, there are so many things to say here I don't know where to start.

PCRM is against meat and animal product consumption.
As pointed out above, no single food makes anyone lose weight so what the heck else were they eating.
Not all clinical studies are equal: how did they choose the studies for review?
Butter and skim milk are both dairy but I wouldn't expect them to contribute equally to a diet or to the ability of a person to lose weight while consuming them.
I'd expect the consumption of even skim milk to be be an improvement over the consumption of coca cola.

But, mostly, does anyone take these commercials seriously? They are similar to Special K promoting itself as a high protein breakfast option (which I note the PCRM is not objecting to at all) as if eggs, sausage and bacon don't exist.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat (Lutz/Groves/JK)
Stats: 151/136/129 Female 63 inches
BF:?/27%/24%
Progress: 68%

Sigh.

It may well be true that calcium does not facilitate weight loss (how many times have we read that in how many different women's mags...)

BUT --

Whenever I see Neal Barnard's name associated with a study or "scientific finding," I automatically discount whatever follows. Totally. It's reflexive, it's ad hominem... but I can't help it. He has no semblance of objectivity and he has dragged Atkins through the mud repeatedly.

Ugh. Got tofu?

(runs out the door screaming)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 07:42

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Munch
Sigh.

It may well be true that calcium does not facilitate weight loss (how many times have we read that in how many different women's mags...)

BUT --

Whenever I see Neal Barnard's name associated with a study or "scientific finding," I automatically discount whatever follows. Totally. It's reflexive, it's ad hominem... but I can't help it. He has no semblance of objectivity and he has dragged Atkins through the mud repeatedly.

Ugh. Got tofu?

(runs out the door screaming)

Agreed.

Quote:
Not all clinical studies are equal: how did they choose the studies for review?

Exactly. This was a review, not a real "study". There is no way one can "review" any amount of studies without bias, especially if the reviewer is a radical vegetarian. PCRM stikes again.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 08:35

Plan: Minimal Crap (Atkinsish)
Stats: 170/137/140 Female Five feet, three inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
You know, there are so many things to say here I don't know where to start.

PCRM is against meat and animal product consumption.

PCRM - PeTA's Crackpot Research Men. Contains less than 6% actual physicians. (I am not making the second part up.)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
There is no way one can "review" any amount of studies without bias, especially if the reviewer is a radical vegetarian.
Legitimate scientific reviews are written frequently. Whether this one has a bias I couldn't say.